Rest in Peace - Mary Ellis - Air Transport Auxiliary WW2

Bill Wapiti

Saddened to hear of Mary's passing...loved seeing her interviewed over the last few years...the word legend is bandied about all to often but Mary and her colleagues were something else. Hope others are feeling the same.

JSW

Watched her today on local news what a wonderful lady,had breakfast at the airport she ran on the IOW many times but didn't know that she was looking after it. RIP we owe you so much.

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
A most remarkable lady who the nation owes a great debt too.
I recently booked some tickets and went to the showing of the Spitfire documentary film at the local cinema. Mary, along with the few other remaining pilots of the Battle of Britain appeared in the film and spoke of her times within the RAF.
On one of her final flights delivering a Spitfire, she signed her name inside the edge of the cockpit with the date which I think was about 1944. Moving forward to today, the same Spitfire has been restored by a wealthy individual who flew into a local airstrip to meet Mary and asked her yet again to re sign the cockpit. What a great moment and an outstanding lady.

God bless her.

kes

In a time where service and selflessness for the good of all were the mood of a nation this lady excelled. She and her fellow pilots are an example few could follow today. It is hard to see such people die and leave us the poorer for their passing. As has been said, a big THANK YOU sums up what we owe them and her. God bless.

Everlong

A truly remarkable woman, inspirational. So soon after Geoffrey Wellum too. I hope they’re have a good natter about all things aeronautical!

tarponhead

A truly remarkable woman, inspirational. So soon after Geoffrey Wellum too. I hope they’re have a good natter about all things aeronautical!

+1. Lives well lived and an example to us and future generations. We should take a moment to reflect.... and then live life better.

Old-YOP

Those ATA girls were something. My Granny took me for my first flight in a DH Dragon Rapide operated out of Heathrow (a grass field back in the 50s) and piloted by Monique Agazarian, then boss of Island Air Services. In the ATA she had flown every type of front-line fighter then in service, culminating in "a lifelong love affair with the Spitfire". Her obituary is here: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/obituary-monique-agazarian-1499214.html

Later my Old Mum bought her friend Beanie to see my novice display in a Chipmunk at Old Warden. Something stopped me saying "And this is what we call a wing" and instead I asked her if she had every flown. "Yes", she said "I was just trying to remember if my last ferry job was a Spitfire or a Lancaster".

Those ATA girls were indeed something.