Returning rifle to shop after buying?

4535jacks

I have just been a bit silly and bought a rifle on a spur of the moment. I have tried to call the gunshop to see if I can return but they are now closed.

Since it it has now been entered into my ticket, would I need to apply for a variation to return it or since my police force won't have received any letters, is there a way of cancelling the sale and requesting a refund.

i haven't had a chance to fire the rifle but I am p****d with myself for buying a rifle I don't want because it was a good deal.

Gary

bogtrotter

I have just been a bit silly and bought a rifle on a spur of the moment. I have tried to call the gunshop to see if I can return but they are now closed.

Since it it has now been entered into my ticket, would I need to apply for a variation to return it or since my police force won't have received any letters, is there a way of cancelling the sale and requesting a refund.

i haven't had a chance to fire the rifle but I am p****d with myself for buying a rifle I don't want because it was a good deal.

Gary

Gunshop may take it back, but don't think realising you don't want the rifle is enough reason to get a refund.

Ray7756

The transaction will already have been entered in their system and on your FAC so if they do take it back you still have to inform the police that you have bought then sold the gun your local FEO can advise whether you need a variation
best of luck
Ray

stag1933

A severe case of `lamebrainitus`.
If you had the appropriate variation upon your certificate it was hardly a `spur of the moment` transaction.

HWH.

Dalua

If you had the appropriate variation upon your certificate it was hardly a `spur of the moment` transaction.
I'm not sure that follows?
If you've got a vacant slot for something you can buy a rifle to fill it just as easily and unwisely as anything else that's offered for sale.

4535jacks

The rifle is a secondhand anshutz. I know that they have no legal obligation except a return but I will be buying a brand new rifle, mod and scope from them and so I hoping they will except the rifle as an exchange at the same price I paid for it.

I am more concerned about the licencing issue and whether I will need to get a variation or not.

4535jacks

I have had my heart set a particular rifle which was what intended to buy this weekend. Unfortunately I was won over by a particularly good deal. The rifle is in great condition but not exactly as described. I have found the gunshop really helpful over the past few months and so I will still be spending my hard earned cash with them.

takbok

If you and the RFD both haven't informed the police of the sale yet, then you shouldn't require a variation. Try and phone them first thing on Monday to check and to discuss your predicament. I'm sure you wouldn't have any trouble exchanging the rifle if you're going to buy a new one from the same dealer.

1967spud

the purchase has been entered on to his cert its a legal document you can not go back on it
the police need to be informed as per your cert rules and a variation is required

its the law

rodp

When I bought a new rifle the dealer entered the wrong details on my cert (the details of another rifle) They rang the FAO and got clearance to just change the details. I believe it was logged on computer, I know it's been no problem when I've had to send my cert in for variations.

Pedro

Okay, I guess it's possible to bodge your certificate and take the rifle back and put the new one on, saying the wrong one was entered by mistake. Might work too. But you have bought that rifle, you have took it home and had it entered on your cert. If by any chance the cops twig what's happened, then what will this do to your reputation for being honest with them about your firearms?

If if it were me, I'd just play it straight, see if the dealer will take it back while doing a deal with the one you want and then contact your firearms licensing office and tell them the score. If they want a variation, then it'll cost a few quid, which you can chalk up to experience, but it'll keep you on the straight and narrow.

bewsher500

If it was such a good deal strip it and flip the component parts
The scope the mod the rifle...

either way you will need a one for one

8x57

Distinguished Member
Okay, I guess it's possible to bodge your certificate and take the rifle back and put the new one on, saying the wrong one was entered by mistake. Might work too. But you have bought that rifle, you have took it home and had it entered on your cert. If by any chance the cops twig what's happened, then what will this do to your reputation for being honest with them about your firearms?

If if it were me, I'd just play it straight, see if the dealer will take it back while doing a deal with the one you want and then contact your firearms licensing office and tell them the score. If they want a variation, then it'll cost a few quid, which you can chalk up to experience, but it'll keep you on the straight and narrow.
One for one variations which is what you will need are free of charge.

Raker Ltd

Strictly speaking you will have to get a vaiation, though it is worth asking the shop if they can call the licensing dept and get their take on it.

We've had it before where the rifle has proven to be faulty, or details were entered incorrectly - this is an entirely different situation from just changing your mind though obviously.

As for whether or not the shop will accept the return... if it is still in the box and un-fired then shouldn't be an issue. If it was s/h then I suppose it is at their discression. If it were a car or a TV you'd probably be out of luck, but worst case scenario ought to be you'll get the majority of your money back for your rifle.