Revenge of the Roe

bogtrotter

Traveling home from a funeral last week my nephew but thats another story travelling at around 50 mph just as darkness was falling
when a large Roe buck jumped the roadside fence and attempted to cross the road in front of me, braked hard impossible to take
evasive action due to oncoming traffic resulting in a solid impact.
Switched on hazard warning lights and waited until there was a gap in the traffic and went to deal with the poor animal which was obviously still alive.
As I said I was returning from a funeral no knife in the vehicle only available weapon a wheel brace not ideal but needs must!
On approaching the buck he suddenly got to his feet took a few tottering steps before breaking in to a run and jumping the same
fence he had initially jumped to get on to the road and speedily disappeared amongst the hardwoods in the gathering darkness..
Quick inspection of my vehicle revealed only minor damage a small crack in the bumper and a broken front number plate
continued on my journey arriving home without further incident.
Had a quick look next morning and discovered a little more damage to the bumper but still repairable also the grill was cracked and
all fixing points broken ordered a new grill online and had a new number plate made at a motor factors.
Did nothing further with the vehicle for a few days yesterday decided I better fit the new number plate and see if there was anything
else I would need to acquire to complete the repairs I had already decided due to the minor nature of the damage I would not involve
the insurance company and do the work myself.
Horror of horrors I discovered the damage was worse than I first thought belly pan damaged, front cross member damage,radiator damage
and think AC radiator damage won 't know for sure until I strip it down whole front will need to come off to complete the repairs.
Thankful!y I should be able to do the work myself ,just turning out to be much more than I expected.
After seeing the damage its hard to believe the buck was able to get up and run off, its taken a while but they are without a doubt out for
revenge.

Last edited:

FISH BOY

Sorry to hear that.

Ive almost hit two roe bucks in the last year so know the heart pounding feeling of them stepping out on you.

Must admit after the first and closest shave I fitted a heavy duty sump guard to the front for a bit more protection.

Hope the car don't cost you too much to repair.

Freeforester

My girlie was driving home on a length of 'Roman design' straight A-designated road near us, when she saw in horror the car some way in front lose control and land overturned in the field to the left and a little below the road height. The youthful passengers were badly shaken but not, thankfully, injured as such.

Turned out the inexperienced young lady driving had swerved "to avoid hitting a young rabbit", and lost control...

Fosbery Holster

Twice, not once but Twice has this happened to our lass on the same road in almost the exact same spot, why didn’t she take a different route you may ask, I’ll tell you why women don’t even consider deer can strike in the same place “twice” !!
Both Roe bucks, both times offside front, first time (insurance claim) £1500.00, second time (again insurance claim) £1200.00.

Roe bucks revenge no doubt!!

NigelM

I've had a few near misses with roe, fallow and muntjac down south but the worst hot spots I have found are the roads from Bonnar bridge through Rosehall to Oykle bridge and from Dingwall to Ullapool. It's always bloody Sika which seem to be suicidal as soon as it gets dark. I'm paranoid these days and drive like miss Daisy as soon as it's deer time when I'm up there.

Steve curry

Mate nearly got crippled by a fallow in Lincolnshire few year ago.very lucky man.didnt hit it in a car.it hit him coming through the hedge.i sware he did a full cartwheel

Koenig

I was in a re-hab centre for years ago with a bloke who’d hit a Roe on a motorbike at about 50mph! He was in a really bad way (wheelchair bound). This was before I started stalking, I didn’t know much about deer, but was amazed by what he told me in terms of the damage/injury the impact caused. Tough animals, even the little muntjac. I hope the OP sorts his car out without too much aggro/expense.

landkeeper

I once had a roe buck jump right out in front of me i was doing about 40 on a motorbike at the time he jumped again and went straight over the front wheel ,another time a fallow buck came straight out and hit the side of an arctic directly in front of me i had a bit of evasive action to miss him then an awful job to put it out of its misery with 4 broken legs

Zetter

We had an admin on site who ended up in hospital with a broken arm and leg and a written off car as she swerved to miss a fox on the road and instead hit a massive oak at the side of the road. The brigade had to cut her out.

Malxwal

I think if you have ridden motorbikes, it seems to help you hit the brakes without also swerving. But road surface and brake imbalance on the vehicle may still cause you not to pull up straight. Bad enough hitting a roe, but you fairly poop yourself when a big red runs out in front of you !

Border

I think if you have ridden motorbikes, it seems to help you hit the brakes without also swerving. But road surface and brake imbalance on the vehicle may still cause you not to pull up straight. Bad enough hitting a roe, but you fairly poop yourself when a big red runs out in front of you !
Or a moose o_O Been several motorcycle fatalities and chopped in half moose here.

opticron1

Glad you came away from it unscathed BT, shame about the car, but you can repair that a bit more easily! Loads of young pheasant about at the moment with no brains to add to all the deer so entertaining on two wheels and four!:eek: Did see one of the big fish lorries that had hit a Red Deer on the Laxford Bridge to Lairg road a few years back..... that was a bit of a mess as well!

Outback

Years ago a Mr Norris wrote a Pajero off , when asked what happened by the police he said he was unwrapping a chocolate bar in the glove box ! He swerved to miss a fox . be interested if he remembers those days at Minsterly .

vitalspark

Earlier this year I spotted a red stag on my peripheral vision coming straight across from the right. I was doing 60 but only metres from a cattle grid so couldn't brake. It clipped the back of my motorbike as I passed it. I'm unlikely to have survived the crash if I'd come off as there was an oncoming car also.

alberta boy

Or a moose o_O Been several motorcycle fatalities and chopped in half moose here.
We have a few deaths every year here from people hitting Moose . Cars are especially bad to be in , a Moose' legs are generally just above hood height so it's body usually comes straight through the wind shield . I'm sure some one here knows a formula to calculate the kinetic energy of 1000 pounds of animal impacting at about 60 mph . One thing I do know , it will totally destroy most vehicles , and you along with it .

AB

Border

We have a few deaths every year here from people hitting Moose . Cars are especially bad to be in , a Moose' legs are generally just above hood height so it's body usually comes straight through the wind shield . I'm sure some one here knows a formula to calculate the kinetic energy of 1000 pounds of animal impacting at about 60 mph . One thing I do know , it will totally destroy most vehicles , and you along with it .

AB
Bad day for sure.