Reverse engineering Hornady match ammo

Jax

Took the 6 creedmoor out the other day using Hornady match 108 gr ammo. Unbelievable results for factory ammo. I hope I can find a load to replicate it.

Is there any way of working out what powder/primer is used and what neck tension etc? Guessing not, but thought I’d ask

I. Farticus

If you can get a couple of rounds to HPS Target Rifles, they'll reverse engineer it for you as they did Hornady Superformance 6.5x55 for me a few years ago.

phillips321

Shoot a couple of factory rounds over a chronograph then select a powder primer recipe to produce the same muzzle velocity and the odds are that you will get similar groups. (Barrel time theory)
I would have thought the time to get to that velocity is also very important. I've used both N140 and RS70 in my .243, but only RS70 shot well as they have different burn rates. To put this in to perspective look at the pressure differences here to get the same muzzle velocity:
Screenshot 2020-07-24 at 15.24.19.png
Screenshot 2020-07-24 at 15.23.43.png

Muir

.....and what neck tension etc?
I knew it.
From time to time people express the desire to load factory equivalent ammo. Even when given the exact data they fail because their 'duplication' involves neck sizing, seating the bullet X-thou from the lands and using cases of unequal length. In short, they do everything the factory doesn't do.

Are you going to aggressively FL resize? Seat to factory depth? Maybe even crimp? :eek: All the things preppy reloaders tell you to avoid?? :rolleyes: If not, don't bother.

If you are willing to do these things, send an email to Hornady and ask just what powder they are using, not the charge weight. They might tell you. You know the bullet. You know the seating depth....~Muir

Rider

If you are willing to do these things, send an email to Hornady and ask just what powder they are using, not the charge weight. They might tell you. You know the bullet. You know the seating depth....~Muir
Do you seriously believe that Hornady uses a commercially available powder in their factory ammo?

dodgyknees

In fact, I’d add to that, the first load development Alan did for the 6mm CM was done on advice from Hornady after the rifle was broken in with factory ammo. We tweaked it a bit but the original objective was based on data direct from Hornady.

dodgyknees

@Jax, I got my 6mm shooting pretty much exactly the same as the factory ammo, just a few tweaks after I switched to SR primer Starline brass. Easy as. There’s a photo of the groups somewhere, will try and find them and send.

Rider

But I wonder, if this is currently sold ammo, how can it contain H4350? This id on the Reach list.

Muir

Do you seriously believe that Hornady uses a commercially available powder in their factory ammo?
So....Did you get the answer to that one? ;)
Can't help the fact that H4350 isn't available but some have said that RL16 will work in the 6 mm CM and give factory performance. I have a lot of Lovex S070-5 (What we call Shooter's World SW 4350) so I would use that if I was loading the 6CM.

The 6mmCM is the kid of round that caters to the handloading set so Hornady will assist you. ~Muir

scrumbag

I knew it.
From time to time people express the desire to load factory equivalent ammo. Even when given the exact data they fail because their 'duplication' involves neck sizing, seating the bullet X-thou from the lands and using cases of unequal length. In short, they do everything the factory doesn't do.

Are you going to aggressively FL resize? Seat to factory depth? Maybe even crimp? :eek: All the things preppy reloaders tell you to avoid?? :rolleyes: If not, don't bother.

I was watching this chap the other day and seemed to speak sense:

Not a fan of chasing lands:

Also not a fan of neck sizing:

Scrummy

Muir

Somewhat contradictory in that he starts by finding his lands. Granted, using his method he is just setting the initial 'never exceed' length. I work backwards: I seat to SAAMI/ or manufacturer recommended length, and adjust the load. I'm one of the magazine length shoots fine guys. I love the t-shirt.~Muir

Jax

@Jax, I got my 6mm shooting pretty much exactly the same as the factory ammo, just a few tweaks after I switched to SR primer Starline brass. Easy as. There’s a photo of the groups somewhere, will try and find them and send.
Here’s why I want to try recreate the factory load. Right target is 3 shots with ES of 7. left is final zero. Never known factory ammo like hornady Match. 308 168gr is pretty good too.

Presumably, the powder in factory ammo must be REACH compliant, so it can’t be H4350...

Will try reaching out to Hornady. Thanks for the input

Attachments

caberslash

Presumably, the powder in factory ammo must be REACH compliant, so it can’t be H4350...
I would be very impressed if Hornady received enough demand to warrant producing REACH compliant versions of their ammo...

Hornady ammo importers right now (presumably GMK) :scared:

If it really shoots that well I would do the American thing and buy enough of the same lot to last till the end of time.

Except that most of us mere mortals don't have an FAC ammo limit that runs into the thousands...

Stockpiling @Jax ?

25 Sharps

Here’s why I want to try recreate the factory load. Right target is 3 shots with ES of 7. left is final zero. Never known factory ammo like hornady Match. 308 168gr is pretty good too.

Will try reaching out to Hornady. Thanks for the input
Wow!

I don’t think powder in loaded ammo has to be reach compliant