Rifle between 22 lr and 243

riddick

Thanks for the offer but i’m In bucks. Might look at the 222 more closely . I have mainly muntjac so it would cover all basis. Don’t fancy taking shots at 300 yards with a 22 on a regular basis plus it’s not the best for fox. It’s probably going to be mostly used at night so the flat trajectory would be welcome but not a deal breaker because I doubt shots will be much over 150 yards
now you moved the goal posts a bit:doh: quote;" I’m wanting a smaller calibre for long range bunnies/ corvids which will also be used for the odd fox.";quote
now you're talking dedicated night rifle, so no crows then? you halfed the expected range, and now its a muntjac rifle too, but you are considering 17, hornet?
you sound very confused as to what you want a rifle for, :-|:rofl:

so to summarise.
to enable you to shoot,,
munjac. lawfully.
fox, day and night.
rabbits, day and night.
corvids, day.
at up to realistically 150_300 yds.
any of these,,
222,223, 204, 22/250 :thumb:

Whitester

I was really just mentioning that 222 would allow me to shoot muntjac too but it’s not necessary because I already have the 243. I was going to get a night site that you can use in the day so i’m Not limiting myself to 150 yards but knowing my shoots I can’t see me shooting much past 150 yards most of the time.

Cottis

It is hard to look past the .222rem. It just does it all really without being shouty, without using tons of powder, without wearing out barrels, without breaking the bank and because it is not some whizzy new fangled tool, you can pick em up dirt cheap second hand if new is out of your budget.

I am toying with the idea of swapping over to a dedicated NV rifle for foxes and it will without question be another .222rem for that. I mean you could use a .223 or a .22-250 but with a .222rem, the animals nod in appreciation before you pull the trigger. They know the score.

The fourth Horseman

I was really just mentioning that 222 would allow me to shoot muntjac too but it’s not necessary because I already have the 243. I was going to get a night site that you can use in the day so i’m Not limiting myself to 150 yards but knowing my shoots I can’t see me shooting much past 150 yards most of the time.
Got to be the old .22 Hornet, perfect for all you want to shoot and the range you are thinking of.
Before the act in my mis spent youth they worked well on Fallow out to 100yds.

old keeper

I've got a 17 Hornet and a 204. From what I've learned from using them so far I would saythe204 is an excellent mid-range fox round while the 17Hornet is a brilliant long-range rabbit round.

jb1

I was going to mention the 17 rem, but if your looking at Deer it's going to be a NO,
A pity, the 17 rem is a special kind of calibre.

spandit

Look at ammo prices/availability locally and buy a rifle accordingly. They're all capable for what you need. I have a .223

PKL

Thing about the 222 is for rabbits and the likes, it gets a touch expensive, so the 22lr rules those applications, for Fox through roe, at least in Scotland, where there’s little foliage, the 222, 223, 22-250 rules. If foulage and ANY chance a bullet catching undergrowth, bigger is always better but I’d course no one plans to shoot through foliage, but it can happen without knowing it and fast small calibres just blow up so aren’t ideal

enfieldspares

I don't think that the .22 Hornet offers you any benefit. A better choice would be .223 Remington of the "triple deuce" aka .222 Remington. If you handload BOTH can be loaded down to .22 Hornet levels and, more to the point, are more flexible and, of course, easier to sell on and/or source.

Dodder

I've had a .22-250, got 2 x .222's, had a .17Rem and .17hmr and got a .17 Fireball. IMO .22-250 is too close to .243 seeing as you've already got one. Love the .222 (and imagine .223 is similar) and also my Cooper Fireball. Never tried either a .22 or .17 Hornet but always wanted to and one day I will. Got a slot for a .20 cal and fancy a Vartarg. Enjoy your search and I'm sure whatever you choose from this lot you wont be disappointed.

Finch

On paper and in practice the .222 is perfect. But you really do need to reload. As above because of cost but also to ensure reliable ammo supply.
TBF, that is also true of .22 Hornet. If you can get a large enough ammo allowance and can stock up several hundred or a thousand rounds at a time it might not be an issue but if you're going to use a .222 regularly taking vermin in numbers, you need to be prepared to reload. If you do, it's a fabulous cartridge.

nun_hunter

Look at ammo prices/availability locally and buy a rifle accordingly. They're all capable for what you need. I have a .223
Very true, 223 ammo is way more readily available near me than 222 and in a much wider selection (I found one box of 222 ammo but loads in 223 and in different makes and bullet weights) . You say 150m is the likely max which is fine for a 222 but if you start going a lot further then the standard 1:14 barrel on a 222 will preclude the longer bullets that are good for much longer range shooting.

I had a 222 but now have a 223 with a 1:9 barrel and covers me for every eventuality.

shakey jake

now you moved the goal posts a bit:doh: quote;" I’m wanting a smaller calibre for long range bunnies/ corvids which will also be used for the odd fox.";quote
now you're talking dedicated night rifle, so no crows then? you halfed the expected range, and now its a muntjac rifle too, but you are considering 17, hornet?
you sound very confused as to what you want a rifle for, :-|:rofl:

so to summarise.
to enable you to shoot,,
munjac. lawfully.
fox, day and night.
rabbits, day and night.
corvids, day.
at up to realistically 150_300 yds.
any of these,,
222,223, 204, 22/250 :thumb:
can you shoot munties with a .20 cal? roe in scotland i think can be done but thought munties and cwd were .22 with a specific speed.

shakey jake

also unlike the thread on sako heads, no one has commented that most of the mention above are 22cal in different chamberings. funny what people stress about.
id get either a 222 or a 17 something
shakey