Rifle build. 300 win mag

s8mdevo

If I decide to have a rifle built what is the best way to go about it? Do you buy an action, stock, barrel etc and give to the gunsmith to put together? Or is it more of a meet a gunsmith and explain what you're after and they try and build something based on your needs?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

NigelM

If I decide to have a rifle built what is the best way to go about it? Do you buy an action, stock, barrel etc and give to the gunsmith to put together? Or is it more of a meet a gunsmith and explain what you're after and they try and build something based on your needs?

Decide what YOU want from it first. Why a 300WM? Long range, stopping power? What bullet do you want to use? VLD, Partition, TSX? What's going to give you the external and terminal ballistics you want. What's your budget? Is it a full custom or a semi custom? When all of this has been decided I would then go to a well respected rifle builder and discuss. He will come up with all sorts of options, but if you know in advance exactly what you want it will help cut those options down and make the whole subject less confusing. Much easier decision making process and good external input. Together you will be able to spec the right finished product to the budget and you should end up with exactly what's right for you.

It might cost a little more but you are far more likely to end up with a great product.

adrian0100

I would say the above advise is about spot on if you want to source some of the parts that's up to you but all this should be discussed with your chosen builder good luck
Adrian

s8mdevo

Thanks, I have most the information I need and 90% know what I want so just need to contact a smith now. Any suggestions for any in mybarea surrey/sussex?

scrumbag

Yes, go with a good idea of what you want. It can pay to listen to ideas from gunsmiths on what is currently available and what they've had experience with.

Be prepared for them not to stick to their timelines though...

KR,

Scrummy

NigelM

Riflecraft in Suffolk. Has built 4 rifles for me and all have been excellent. I also know he has built a lot of 300WM.

nun_hunter

Paddy Dane of customrifle.co.uk in Speldhurst (Sussex/Kent). A friend (on here) had a 300wm built by him and I've had a bit of work done too. Wouldn't use anyone else.

musketsmoke

hello

another idea for you

me and a friend made a 300 H&H and can make another one out of a p14 rifle the action is long enough and they are cheap to buy
all you will have to pay for is the barrel and the mods to the action for a scope to be fitted to it
there are loads of choices for p14 stocks and triggers for not a lot of money as long as it is NOT a eddy stone action they are weak actions
winchester is the best one
let me know if your interested

alberta boy

hello

another idea for you

me and a friend made a 300 H&H and can make another one out of a p14 rifle the action is long enough and they are cheap to buy
all you will have to pay for is the barrel and the mods to the action for a scope to be fitted to it
there are loads of choices for p14 stocks and triggers for not a lot of money as long as it is NOT a eddy stone action they are weak actions
winchester is the best one
let me know if your interested
? Why do you think Eddystones are weak actions ?

AB

bewsher500

Thanks, I have most the information I need and 90% know what I want so just need to contact a smith now. Any suggestions for any in mybarea surrey/sussex?

What donyou you want from it?
i had one and will get another

21" barrel on mine did everything I wanted
targets to 1000yds
prone shooting of deer
with a brake it was very pointy and easy to shoulder
mag length was too short for my 208gr home loads so single feeding was the order of the day (push feed action required)

very fun rifle
everyone should try one

stock choice was where i where I was limited

musketsmoke

Eddystone are weaker actions due to the type of steel used and the way as it was explained to me the cheap method of there case hardening procedure
to make as many as possible for cheap as possible

Ferryman

What is the intended use ?
I had a .300WM put together using the following.
Rem 700 -7mm Rem Mag donor rifle.
The action was first blueprinted
AI Chassis
Lothar Walther Barrel
Roedale Muzzle Brake
US Optics Scope & Mount
Jewell Trigger
The barrel and action etc were Cerakoted by Jager SA
300WinMag (1).jpg

Dorsettaff

Start with what you want it for and a budget and work from there.

Agree re Riflecraft...they built my 1st incarnation of my .300. Later had it tweaked and rebarrelled by Neil McKillop who has done a lot for many of the people on here

Neil is great and will talk you through what the options are without doing what some gunsmiths do and "tell" you what rifle, calibre, set up you want!

He's on the Hampshire/Berks border....so not too far

s8mdevo

What is the intended use ?
I had a .300WM put together using the following.
Rem 700 -7mm Rem Mag donor rifle.
The action was first blueprinted
AI Chassis
Lothar Walther Barrel
Roedale Muzzle Brake
US Optics Scope & Mount
Jewell Trigger
The barrel and action etc were Cerakoted by Jager SA
View attachment 82833
I basically want a light weight hunting rig for mountain hunting. I am aware that. 300wm and light weight do not necessarily make a good match but like the calibre and have got the variation. Doesn't need to be stupid light but definitely do not want heavy barrels etc. A 24" sporter and a nice ultralight McMillan stock would be preference. As far as the action anything that is proven and reliable will do, fluted Bolt and barrel to help with weight also.

s8mdevo

Start with what you want it for and a budget and work from there.

Agree re Riflecraft...they built my 1st incarnation of my .300. Later had it tweaked and rebarrelled by Neil McKillop who has done a lot for many of the people on here

Neil is great and will talk you through what the options are without doing what some gunsmiths do and "tell" you what rifle, calibre, set up you want!

He's on the Hampshire/Berks border....so not too far
Neil's name comes up a lot, he is obviously very good at what he does.

s8mdevo

What donyou you want from it?
i had one and will get another

21" barrel on mine did everything I wanted
targets to 1000yds
prone shooting of deer
with a brake it was very pointy and easy to shoulder
mag length was too short for my 208gr home loads so single feeding was the order of the day (push feed action required)

very fun rifle
everyone should try one

stock choice was where i where I was limited
Sounds a nice setup. Was it used mostly for deer or targets? I'm trying to get something similar... Decent sporter barrel and not mega heavy are the main things I want.