Wanted: Rifle ranges

Corf30

Are there any rifle ranges that are around shropshire or local too shropshire that provide a decent service?.I don't know if govt regs are tying there hands behind there back but Minsterley won't allow you too book same day any more.Could be red tape. I know someone who applied to join as a full member after visiting many times they won't have him for atleast 12months.
It's like they don't want your business.

That sounds exactly like what happened to me too! I visited a number of times asked about joining as a club member and was told that I had to be sponsored by an existing club member. OK that's fine except when I asked if I could be introduced to an existing club member they said they couldn't give members details out! Ok so I asked how would I go about being introduced to a member? I was told I would have to keep on coming to shoot at the club and then talk to other people there and one day you might come across a member to befriend! I asked surely if I came to shoot on the day they could advise if any members where there also? No you just have to take pot luck!! I asked surely as per other clubs they have meet a member day or an open day? No we don't do that! Sounds to me it's a closed unwelcoming club! Who Obviously have enough members / money coming in to act in this way??

I'm at home today because it's wet I bet there lanes aren't full and iv been turned away!!!

That sounds exactly like what happened to me too! I visited a number of times asked about joining as a club member and was told that I had to be sponsored by an existing club member. OK that's fine except when I asked if I could be introduced to an existing club member they said they couldn't give members details out! Ok so I asked how would I go about being introduced to a member? I was told I would have to keep on coming to shoot at the club and then talk to other people there and one day you might come across a member to befriend! I asked surely if I came to shoot on the day they could advise if any members where there also? No you just have to take pot luck!! I asked surely as per other clubs they have meet a member day or an open day? No we don't do that! Sounds to me it's a closed unwelcoming club! Who Obviously have enough members / money coming in to act in this way??
Being sponsored by an independent existing member is a requirement of all clubs, not a club policy, the same as a 3 month minimum probation.

I 'm aware that it's a requirement for all clubs, however there appears a complete lack interest in facilitating any form of meeting a member in the first place??

Being sponsored by an independent existing member is a requirement of all clubs, not a club policy, the same as a 3 month minimum probation.
Not Quite. If they wanted to they could give immediate membership if Corf30 has a FAC. I'm aware that nearly all clubs still insist of a probationary period and for very good reason. What I don't understand is how some clubs appear to do their very utmost to deter new members. I also don't understand why Minsterly ask for pre-booking visits!

There are ways of working within the regulations for H.O. approved clubs if clubs gave it some thought and acted reasonably.

I 'm aware that it's a requirement for all clubs, however there appears a complete lack interest in facilitating any form of meeting a member in the first place??
Is it possible there is a club notice board, website or facebook page you can make a request on? If its any consolation, a club near me requires two members to vouch for you

Leaving aside probationary periods - are you sure the requirement to be sponsored by an existing member is anything more than ‘club policy’ where an FAC holder is concerned?

Not Quite. If they wanted to they could give immediate membership if Corf30 has a FAC. I'm aware that nearly all clubs still insist of a probationary period and for very good reason. What I don't understand is how some clubs appear to do their very utmost to deter new members. I also don't understand why Minsterly ask for pre-booking visits!

There are ways of working within the regulations for H.O. approved clubs if clubs gave it some thought and acted reasonably.

Is it possible there is a club notice board, website or facebook page you can make a request on? If its any consolation, a club near me requires two members to vouch for you
I'm just reporting verbatim what I was told by the staff at Minsterley! They do have a Website but no notice board!

Requirements of an approved rifle club are laid out in the link below. They are really quite strict on people coming in off the street.

There are many different ways in which different clubs will have in accommodating new members.

Death by a thousand cuts. Stifle the new blood and the sport will die out as we all get older. Look around. There's many fullbore rifle clubs where there's no member under sixty years old let alone under fifty years old!

Back