Rifle sling

jewfish

I was thinking of getting a new sling, I like the platted bisley type, my question is has anybody had any bad experience with these? Do they squeak? And do they stretch much? Cheers.

Fabnosh

Hi there

My personal experience has been that they both squeak and stretch but the effects of both can be reduced by using various dressing products....if you can be bothered .

After years of various slings (canvas, leather, neoprene etc etc) one thing became obvious. Once I had set up the sling for length I never ever adjusted it. Strangely I looked at all the slings I had on my hunting rifles and they were all set to within 5mm of each other - very weird. With this in mind I just chose my material and had a non-adjustable, fixed length, QD swivels stitched in sling made. Dougster on this site did a cracking job and at a good price - first class work and I just love it. Now I find I'm wondering why I waited 30 years to do it.

Hope that helps

FN

baguio

Don't waste your money jewfish. Leather does not cut it these days. Buy a Claw sling and you will forget all about leather slings! Leather squeaks and slips off your shoulder after every other step. The Claw is non slip!

jewfish

Thanks fellas I must admit I do love the leather but maybe the claw might be the way to go.

Klenchblaize

The mistake made with leather slings is that of width at the shoulder. A wide strap that on the face of it suggests both stability and load shedding actually only achieves the latter unless you install an anti slip device on the shoulder of all stalking jackets.

A narrow section of sling leather or plated multiples thereof is the answer as it 'digs-in' at the critical carrying point. If the former the addition of pin head bridle rubber sewn on the reverse provides the so-called "claw" effect.

Back in the day Armstrong's and/or The Shooting Lodge offered one with this approach but I concede the rubber doesn't like gun oil or solvent and needed replacing every few years once it started to dissolve an migrate onto clothing!

K

Brithunter

It's strange but our fore fathers seemed to manage quite well with leather slings in all weathers and climates. I wonder what they did right that we modern shooters are doing wrong?

I have just sold a quality leather sling with the quick release steel clips for use on the British sling eyes found on stalking rifles back then. The sling complete with it leather covered buckle fitted the old BSA and Rigby Mannlicher well as it did the Swinburns Patent sporting Martini before it. The sling needed to be easily detachable for following up wounded beats in thick brush where the sling could get snagged at just the wrong moment.

User00003

where has class gone these days!..why not just bring a microwave into the field to heat up your cuppa soup too..with a solar powered charger....rant over.

long and short...leather all the way, despite XYZ, it's nice, looks good, lasts, and has class.

paul o'

dos't your truck 240v power mine has a 1500 watt inverter fitted hot and cold fan's for dogs and 4way gang outlets for power tools ! and the ding works just fine and the lecky kettle ?
but on the slings side, i'v been trying to find an old type with a thum hole ! i'v got lots of rubber and old school slings but would like a 70's type one .
ps: most of the class as you say are at the back of my truck heating up their pie's on a shoot day :rofl:

where has class gone these days!..why not just bring a microwave into the field to heat up your cuppa soup too..with a solar powered charger....rant over.

long and short...leather all the way, despite XYZ, it's nice, looks good, lasts, and has class.

Last edited:

paul o'

yee gods :eek: i know i like me toys but yeehaa partner i don't like that type at all ? that gloss yuc and i know my name lol , i just wish an old school no fuss one as long as its still in good order it will do

Klenchblaize

yee gods :eek: i know i like me toys but yeehaa partner i don't like that type at all ? that gloss yuc and i know my name lol , i just wish an old school no fuss one as long as its still in good order it will do

Its got a HOLE though and rumour has it you have a lever action!

paul o'

:-| i may have had one once and a set of 45's and a set of chaps ? but i don't like horse's unless to eat them, i like cows ! yup? yeee haa home home on thaaarre range .............:rofl: can i touch her now par!!

Jimbo 30 06

It's strange but our fore fathers seemed to manage quite well with leather slings in all weathers and climates. I wonder what they did right that we modern shooters are doing wrong?

I have just sold a quality leather sling with the quick release steel clips for use on the British sling eyes found on stalking rifles back then. The sling complete with it leather covered buckle fitted the old BSA and Rigby Mannlicher well as it did the Swinburns Patent sporting Martini before it. The sling needed to be easily detachable for following up wounded beats in thick brush where the sling could get snagged at just the wrong moment.

Hi Brit it's called saddle soap and neatsfoot oil keeps leather for ever. Neatsfoot oil also stops leather sqeeking. If you want a noneslip rubber and braided nylon then Quake is your answer.

Jimbo

countrryboy

z-aim pro stalker no slip has a sling that keeps it on your shoulder

A BIG :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Absolutely brilliant, doubt i will ever buy another type of sling again and will put 1 on all my rifles as they need replaced. Has a chest strap that secures rifle in place yet easy to unclip, i was clambering throu windblow and it never moved off my back. Very impressed

Even more impreesed only £30. Top value in my opinion
Get them throu Moray Outfitting on here, top blokes to deal with, can't compliment them enough:tiphat:

Last edited:

Brithunter

Hi Brit it's called saddle soap and neatsfoot oil keeps leather for ever. Neatsfoot oil also stops leather sqeeking. If you want a noneslip rubber and braided nylon then Quake is your answer.

Jimbo

sadly the one I sold had been hanging in a shop for god only knows how many decades un treated for all those years. Although I fed it up a bit it was never as god as it should really have been. It did compliment the antique rifles rather well though. I laso have a couple of webbing slings with leather trims some where.