Rifle stocks. The wrong size.

The Singing Stalker

I saw the GRS berserk stock yesterday. That's nice. That really nice. But only done in right hand. But there are some interesting stock that I'm seeing with the links posted. I'm going to get my variation in and as Hampshire are on about 12 months it would appear that I have plenty of time. Will definitely be going to the shooting show to see and feel things.

EMcC

Try http://www.schaftwerk.de you may have to cut and past as I am not able to copy the address.
He will make you any stock you want at half the price charged in UK he is also English speaking as he worked in UK for quite a few years doing his trade.

Glendine

I am a lanky thin person who just happens to be carrying too much weight :D. But because my rifle is designed for the ordinary man I have had to put a rubber end pad on and put extra inserts on it to bring it out long enough. I also have had to put a rubber cheek riser from a shotgun and then a material cheek piece on as well. Just to get the rifle to fit correctly. Over all is isn't a good look and the butt pad is too flexible for my liking. I'm using an R8. (Edited it say, no I'm not. I've got an R93. Prat.....)

having handled the Blaser pro success a few times I tend to go oooo twice. Once because the ergonomics of the thumbhole design are great and feel natural to me. (I don't care if you don't like Blasers, this is about me) and a second time at the price. Much as I like them I cannot spend that amount of money on one. Especially as they are still going to be too short.

so I'm starting to think I may need to look at getting a newer/different rifle. My problems are compounded by the fact that I'm left handed as well. No I never want to shoot a righ handed rifle again. I was show a Kricko sniper rifle with adjustable cheek piece and when set it was nice. Trigger was way to heavy for me and would still need a butt plate sorting, plus it was the wrong calibre.

So a standard rifle is out, they just don't fit me correctly.

I need, a left handed rifle,
243 probably. Mainly roe, Munties and foxes where I shoot.
It would need an adjustable cheek piece and adjustable butt pad. This will also allow others to shoot when I bring a guest out with me. I firmly believe that removing all the variables give you more time to focus on aiming and shooting.
oh and a 2lb trigger weight. I don't want something that weight a ton, so AI platforms are out. I mainly walk so the lighter the better.
Going off subject I was talking to a custom gunmaker a few years ago when I was considering one and when I explained I wouldn't be shooting out beyond 150 yards he started trying to flog me a 1,000 yard rifle. Doh.
Thumbhole or pistol would be superb. I find it so comfortable to hold using sticks

anyway, how have you with the long arms and long necks overcome this problem?

btw if anyone has a Blaser R8 pro success in lh with a 243 barrel for a grand .................:rofl:

Hi Singing stalker,

Please see attached image. I'm 6 feet six and I use a blaser R8 Professional success. If you look at the rifle stock in the attached photos you will see blaser made spacers on the stock.
I had two 25mm spacers added to give me the correct length of pull. The are very easy to attach.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Glendine.

. IMG_1738.jpg

The Singing Stalker

Hi Singing stalker,

Please see attached image. I'm 6 feet six and I use a blaser R8 Professional success. If you look at the rifle stock in the attached photos you will see blaser made spacers on the stock.
I had two 25mm spacers added to give me the correct length of pull. The are very easy to attach.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Glendine.

. View attachment 76320
You see that looks like the perfect combo to me. The right rifle with that stock and scope. I have that scope as well. Cracking. The right length of pull with the spacers. I just can't get an R8 for the right money. I wonder if the spacers are the same for the 93? Do they push on or are they screw on?

Glendine

Hi Singing stalker,

The set up I have is incredibly light. The Neopod bipods are feather weight coupled with the Hausken MD45. I wanted the lightest rig possible as I do a lot of mountain hunting.
The spacers are screw in. You use the screws that hold the rubber recoil pad in place. I don't know if the are available for the R93.
Please see attached link when I had an R93 I used a rubber recoil pad to extend the stock.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/gallery/member-galleries/p4880-sika-stag-wicklow.html

Regards,
Glendine.

The Singing Stalker

Well gentlemen. A bit of an update. With a lack of money I had to put things on hold for a while. For some reason she kept whinging about getting the garden sorted. Just get a man in to do it. xXXX that. Cost far too much.

Anyway not so long ago I called Alan at Schaftwerk | Feine Edelholzschäfte für Jagdwaffen. Bad timing as he was on holiday. once he got back he sent me some pictures of what he had in stock. HEY, A BAD JOKE. Left handed as well. I had already worked out my dimensions and sent them over to him. Prices were very very reasonable. Very reasonable. I settled on a plain thumbhole stock because at the end of the day it is going to get dragged through hedges backwards so no point in getting beautiful looking wood. I'm too much of an oik.
I did get him to put Sauer sling swivels on and I got him to put it on the bottom of the rifle as normal but also on the side. That was a good idea I had. I only use it on the side though. The rifle sits really securely and comfortably on my shoulder and doesn't bounce anymore. I did forget to get him to put a bipod stud on though. I will leave that for now. Worry about it some other point. As I shoot off sticks the bipod tends to get used only when I am starting off or getting back to the car.
err, I'm waffling a bit.

Do I like it? Oh yes. The rifle fits me perfectly. My eye lines up perfectly when I lower my head onto the stock. Chuffed to bits. Pictures to follow.
:thumb:

Hornet 6

Your just a weird size and shape if a Blaser does fit you.
I think they are far too long, and judging by the number you see with the scope pulled all the way back in the rings most people find the same thing.
The good news is it's only a cheap plastic stock so cuts down to a sensible length easily with a saw :)

Neil.

EMcC

Thumbhole R8 1.jpgThumbhole R8 2.jpgSaur 202 new stock.jpgAlan of schaftwerk.de is very ameniable to any shape or size and very well priced too.
Here is a picture of one of the rifles that he made a stock for, a Saur 202 with a thicker than usual fore end and a couple of pictures of my R8.

Last edited:

Edinburgh Rifles

Work in progress to fit a Best London Orange Silvers Pad to a client's Grade 5 R93
Fit for Length of Pull is relatively easy

Building an adjustable cheek riser into a stock like this would be criminal!
Raising the level with a well made, aesthetically pleasing addition would be much simpler and could be done allowing the stock to be returned to original spec if ever sold

Heym SR20

IMG_1814.jpg

I have the exact same problem. My Heym SR20, left handed 243 has a stock that is just about about long enough with low mounts so I can get a good cheek weld. The barrel is quite fine so provided the scope is quite long the objective doesn't foul the barrel.

My other gun is a combination - when I got it it stock was too short with a lot of drop at the comb. Stock length was sorted with a firm recoil pad. Seriously thought about a piece of wood being added like you see on a lot of shotguns. As for the comb various options here. I stick on rubber comb raiser - they are horrible and uncomfortable. You could make a nice wooden cheek piece that fits over the existing stock and held in place some form a ball detant fitting - a bit like the push stud sling fittings. Alternative is to have the stock cut and an adjustable system fitted - aka the Sauer Wolverine or Tikka Sporter -

Quite a few shotguns are now fitted with such systems.

As an interim I just made a simple lace on leather cheek piece as per the top photo. Doesnt do any damage to the stock, indeed provides protection in the field, takes but a moment to lace on or remove (if using it as a shotgun or with open sights) and cost me nothing but an old shoe and another piece of leather. That was an interim 6 years ago mind!

Bigbloke

Ditto, same problem but a right hander.

Made up some bits and adapted my Sako 75 like this...

Sako comb raiser.JPG
The comb raising hardware was made up in titanium, weighs not much, it gives about 30mm of vertical adjustment and 4mm either way from centre.

This is what the bits looked like before installation....

Titanium comb raisers.JPG

McKenzie

Interesting to see; I've been considering doing something similar to my Sako 75 & have had quotes for it. My only hesitation is that I also need the length extended with wood & once I'm doing all of that I wonder if I shouldn't just be done with it & get a custom stock made. I've tried the leather comb-raisers but found that they pushed my head off to the side which was no good.

View attachment 83375
The comb raising hardware was made up in titanium, weighs not much, it gives about 30mm of vertical adjustment and 4mm either way from centre.

View attachment 83379

Last edited:

The Singing Stalker

Interesting to see; I've been considering doing something similar to my Sako 75 & have had quotes for it. My only hesitation is that I also need the length extended with wood & once I'm doing all of that I wonder if I shouldn't just be done with it & get a custom stock made. I've tried the leather comb-raisers cut found that they pushed my head off to the side which was no good.
That was my thoughts which is why I went down the route I did. The important thing is being able to get the measurement correct for yourself. There are web sites that will show you how to measure a stock.

Bigbloke

I think even with a custom stock, it's worth having some adjustments available.

Think about the difference summer Vs winter gear can make, let alone a change of scope.

I think length can to an extent be there or thereabouts but the height has to be right.

AndrewS

View attachment 83375

View attachment 83379

Interesting that you seem to have used the piece of the stock that you cut out for the adjustable bit? Pity Sauer couldn't do the same with their Wolverine (an otherwise fine rifle).

The Singing Stalker

Here is the stock I bought.
1. It is left handed.
2. Most rifle stocks are 14.1/4 inches long. This is 16.1/4 long
3. I had it in about 1 month.
4. It didn't cost stupid amounts of money.
5. It fits, well, with most of my mounts. Not the low one.
6. I got him to fit Sauer stud thingies on it and it fits perfect flat against my back
7. I'm well pleased.

there is tape on the bottom which is just to stop it getting scratched from the highseat.

EMcC

Glad to hear you got sorted by Alan. He is good isn't he and I don't think anybody can touch him for service and price.
I've had three from him now, two for the Blasers and one for the Saur 202.