Rifle weights

paultap

Hi guys
I had a look at some rifles yesterday and as the Gunshop had a digital scales, I asked them to weigh the bare rifles. The results are as follows

Sako 85 carbon light 5lb 3oz. £2745
Sako 85 stainless synthetic 6lb. £1875
Sako 85 finnlight 2 Cerakote 6lb 3oz £2445

Two rifles were in 308 and the Finn light 2 was in 243 so negligible difference really.

Quite a premium for the carbon light stock!

Reactions: PMA

paultap

Strange it was heavier than the stainless, probably barrel length or the stainless was fluted.
The 85 Finnlight 2 has a totally different stock which is fibreglass, plus has an integral adjustable cheek piece , the barrel was also fluted. ( weight was 6lb 3oz)

The 85 stainless synthetic has a rubber overmolded fibreglass stock, no cheek piece and the barrel was not fluted. (6lb)

I put the extra 3oz down to a heavier stock on the Finn light 2 which surprised me as I thought it would be lighter overall.

JH83

The best is the Sauer carbon range, I think they’re charging £2k + for the stock by my reckoning.

There certainly appears to be a significant ‘premium pricing’ strategy to captivate a certain corner of the market (that must be rather lucrative)

Lloyd90

FFS the prices some idiots pay.

Deer stalking rifle, £300 or less Howa .243 or £500 or less Tikka T3.

Sorted.

A new bog standard Tikka T3x hunter is online at £1,245…

When’s the last time you bought a T3 for £500?

I remember buying my first centre fire almost 15 years ago and they had Tikka T3 Hunter in 243 and that was over £500 back then.

beardy weardy

This is a conversation I was having with a friend the other day lose a fue pound off the belly and save your self some money.

caberslash

A new bog standard Tikka T3x hunter is online at £1,245…

20% of that is VAT.

Retailer markup, anywhere from 15-30%, maybe more?

Import fees/tax, shipping costs also add to the equation. A rifle from the USA would also have to make a (totally perfunctory) trip to either of the UK proof houses which further adds to the cost.

When’s the last time you bought a T3 for £500?

Bought my T3x .270 for £800, with an ASE Utra SL5i, four years ago. Lightly used, great rifle after I put it in a PSE stock (under £500 off here, although did get one for £300 as well which my T1x sits in), still reckon I overpaid a bit.

Look on Holt's... probably get a used T3 for £300 or less at auction!

How else do RFD's turn a profit?

I remember buying my first centre fire almost 15 years ago and they had Tikka T3 Hunter in 243 and that was over £500 back then.

See above.

It's SD where private sellers sometimes think their used rifle is worth more than a new one :rofl:

Think @Malxwal had a killer deal on a Tikka T3 not too long ago, but it was then sold on!