Rings verses Rails

enfieldspares

I set the rifle and the 'scope by eye. I've also done it the other way.

Clamp the rifle, set it square by a spirit level rested across one of bottom rings.

Clamp rifle tight. Then set up the 'scope using a vertical reference line.

Then tighten it.

Fact is first method is quicker and just as accurate.

Last edited:

Muir

do you use bubble levels on the action and on the scope? or do it by eye?
I have the Wheeler Engineering set up, and if I'm in a hurry, and the rifle has a rail base and scope has a flat bottom to the turret housing, I simply take a 1/2 or 5/8" steel ground place the steel against the rail and turn it upwards on edge against the flat bottom of the scope turret. This makes both the turret housing flat and the top of the rail square with each other. Army Sniper method of mounting a scope. Stupid simple and it works in the right situation. (like tactical/military set ups) For everything else I use my Wheeler. It never fails.~Muir

shooternz

I like the idea of the rail system but in doesn't work for me, I cant my rifles, my scope mounting technique is to mount the scope to the rifle so it still can move then while standing
in my shooting stance raise the rifle to my shoulder and line the crosshairs up parallel I do that 3 to 4 times until I'm happy with the setup and tighten the screws,
The scope has a cant of about 3 degrees learnt the technique when shooting metallic Silhouette after shooting 160 shot matches if you had to adjust your head each time
you mounted your rifle your neck was damn sore, To try it this way stand looking at your target close your eyes raise the rifle to your shoulder without moving your head open your eyes
see were the crosshairs are they should be on the target some were if not your rifle is not setup properly,

stevenedwards

WOW I had no idea it was all so complicated. offset rings, lapping rings, bases not square and lots of tools and knowledge to put a scope on a rifle. the rail seems to be the answer to the problem. Fit mount to rail,even I can do it, click mount on rifle, go zero. Then take it off in a flash to clean and click back on ready to hunt. But I don't have the experience of many others as I only have one rifle which has to do it all and is a bit overkill sometimes. This is why I've been gathering the collected wisdom to try and spec a second weapon.

So far the thinking is : rail mount zeiss on a Blaser in .243. Don't blame me I don't know any better ! But it might change or I could carry on shooting squirrels with a 6.5

Thank you all for the input, more welcome.

james22250

Sometimes just experience does the job, for over 30 years I have used the dining room table, sand bag rest and the neighbours chimney about 70m away to get the scopes level and eye relief correct on all my rifles, not had a problem yet with any of my scopes from my first Nikko on a BSA Airsporter to latest S&B,Kahles and Zeiss, keep things simple as possible, however I think rail mounts suit European rifles, the look is slightly different to the US look, and I like it. Not got one but wouldn't rule out for the future.