rising cost of ammunition

poddle

Jees the stuff gets more expensive by the week. Just payed £12.50 for 50 HMR, thank god I home load the .243

Starting to work out about the same per shot, what with HMR being 25p a shot :eek:

A mate of mine has had a lot of trouble getting 130gn 270. He had to wait weeks for it.
Reckon its all drying up

Beowulf

20 308 150 grain BT bullets £27.99. That was the price when I was up in Scotland last year. £18.99 for the same bullets in Warwickshire! :eek:
What can be done though!

poddle

loading your own stuff seems to make more and more sense.

Glad I spent the £100 on a reloading kit last year. Hit the gamefairs now and get cheaper components and plenty of em :p

stag1933

The best thing to do is stock-up when you have the chance.
A few days ago I went down country with a friend to check over a rifle for him.
Whilst there I found they had Fed. Match primers in stock so I took a 1000 into custody. We have none in this area at present so now I can help other friends out.
The .270 rifle is getting bad-mouthed on a few sites by many who have never had one and know little about it.
Again if at a Game Fair or away on hols. somewhere, take your cert. with you as you may find stock. I had problems getting .270 Speer 130gr bullets but found a dealer who had some very old stock 140gr Hornady Spire Points in stock so I took them at a bargain price.
They shot half-an-inch higher on the target and kill well with little carcase damage so I have been using them instead.
Be like a squirrel and store your nuts for a bleak, hard time ahead.

A happy and prosperous New Year to all.

HWH.

monynut

l think the Chinese economy goes a long way to blame for all this they are consuming raw material quicker than it can produced/processed, l have a friend who buys about 100tones of 99.9% lead a year and the price he pays has increased 5 fold its slowly putting him out of business as you cant put your own rates up 5 fold.

poddle

The price of base metals has risen rapidly over the last year.

I'm gonna stock right up on components, to not have ammo would be like not having air :(

stone

hi poddle
not sure where you are but i use norman clarke guns in rugby and pete starley in warwick they stock most things between them and will do there best to get it if not in stock prices are pretty good with both and norman does quite a few shows
i just bought 300 nosler solid base 180 grain heads .308 cal for £31.50
from clarke, stuff he had hidden amongst all the clutter
search and ye shall find

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
I have loaded my own for a number of years now, and it does save money, and its always satisfying knowing the animals that you take are with the bullets you loaded.

All I can say is that if any of you guys get a chance to go to the states, make sure you take your certificates with you. You can buy any type of head you like out there for very little money. And over the past years I have managed to stock up with all of the calibres I have. I also bought a whole RCBS loading kit plus two die sets for under half what it cost in this country.

It also true to say that the CLA fair can turn up some good deals if you look. We managed to buy the last lot of 155grain heads by Sako two years ago for our Moose hunting in Finland. Although we also managed to buy some more whilst in Finland. Stag 1933 and Poddle have the right idea 100%.

poddle

Gonna stock up, trouble is yet again the amount I can by in one transaction, I still have to have the bullet heads put on my FAC, so I'm still limited to 100 heads.
Or do I simply go back and hour or so later and by some more :evil: HE HE

poddle

Stag1933 wrote;

The .270 rifle is getting bad-mouthed on a few sites by many who have never had one and know little about it.

I was not having a knock at the .270 Stag, just commenting on the ammo situation. Each to their own, a dead deer is a dead deer.

8)

regards Poddle

2428 miles

I quite agree, its ridicules what one has to pay. Lets not forget the price of shotgun cartridges has risen too. This festive period has cost me a small fortune. as stag said, I poke my nose in to most gun shops I pass around the country and just have a look and see what they have. but as mentioned earlier my licence restricts the amount to 60 at any one purchase. by the time I have zeroed and wacked a few deer its nearly time to stock up again, but my god its expensive.
I'm very keen to start home loading, and looking for a set with all the components I need. any suggestions as to what make and which set to get, and where to get it at a good price. being new to the whole reloading scene I’m unsure which kit is essential and which is not.
would appreciate any help

Regards
Miles

poddle

The lee anniversary kit is available for around £90. a set of dies around £25
I got the whole kit for £117 that's with a set of 243 dies.
There is everything you need in the kit to get you loading your own stuff.
It also comes with an excellent load book and plenty of tutorials.
There are others though so shop around.

All you need then is some primers, £20 for a 1000, jar of powder (I pay £35 for a jar of varget that will do around 200 rounds, and of course some heads,from around £13 per hundred up to £30 or more depending on what you wish to load.
You will of course need some cases, 50 costs me £18.50

these are all hight street prices and for .243 cal

There is am initial outlay, but they payback time is getting shorter all the time, as the price of ammo escalates.
You will get a lot of this money back on your very first batch of fifty. You will also find that you are never stuck for ammo, and as in my case suddenly become very favourable with certain gamekeepers that have trouble finding ammo
By the time you have loaded you fourth or fith batch your money should be returned
I am sure other members of this forum will add their preferences to this thread, and some I hope will tell you were to get stuff cheaper.

However, it's almost impossible to mail order components these days, so generaly they have to be done on a face to face basis, and with your FAC to hand.
You will have to have bullet heads added to you FAC when you buy them, at least I have to here in Somerset.

Not very helpful when you are allowed to buy 100 at a time but find yourself at game fair with it all going cheap.

You will aslo find it a very enjoyable side line to your shooting. When the weather is tooo cold or wet and unsuitable for shooting I just set the rig up that I have made and load myself up 50 or so rounds.
I have bought a small digital scale from Ebay for around £12 and I weigh each round AFTER it is assembled.

This is my safety net, and my completed rounds should weigh in at 273 grain. anything more than 275, I discard and re do.
This is the best way to prevent double charged loads from getting into your ammo belt, believe you me it does happen.

Have a go don't be phased. I promise you that you will enjoy reloading.

2428 miles

Poddle, thank you for your post, that is a great help.
I have given it a lot of thought over the last two or so years but not known where to start. I was under the impression that it was going to cost around £200 for the basic kit. So that is good news.

Is it just the bullet heads that go on the licence or powder too? Mine is up for renewal in march time so will ask plod if he would be so kind as to trust me with a greater quantity of ammo!
Where do you get your kit from? I kept an eye out at the midlands game fair for some but only spotted one shop and that was busy all day I could barley get in!!

Any ideas as to what powder would suit my needs?

2428 miles

Thanks for rubbing that in 300!!
I was in the states last year and in one of those bass pro shops the same size as ikea! had everything under the sun, i even looked at reloading kits but was unsure at the time and of course now i regret not buying it. never mind, at least i didn't have to carry the bloody thing!!

i have found a Lee anniversary reloading kit for £86 which looks good. what other items would you surgest are needed otherthan the heads, powder, primers, cases?
thanks
Miles

Hi 2428 Miles

Have got to agree with Poddle the Lee loading kit is very good value.

I have used a Lee press for the last 10 years and have had good results.

If you know anyone who loads who can show you the basics and you can
load a few hundred rounds with them it will save you a lot of time or attend a reloading course.

I think in the past there has been talk of a Stalking Directory Home Loading Day :???:

If you think of home loading as finding that perfect recipe, you have all the different ingredients and you have to find the right combination for your rifle.

When you find it dont change it and you will always have confidence in your equipment when stalking.

It's like going to a supermarket and buying a ready made stew its OK but never as good as well made home cooking ;)

Nothing wrong with factory loads I just prefer using my own.

There is somthing very rewarding about about shooting a Deer with home loads,especially when you serve the venison up to family and friends and you know that you have seen the whole process from loading the bullets, stalking and selecting the Deer, field dressing, larder and butchery work and finally cooking the meat and serving it up with a few home grown veg. :D

I am sure there are some very experienced home loaders on this site who can help.

All the best

Fallow Stalker

poddle

Remember that the Lee Kit will not have dies in it. You will have to order the sizes you need for your calibre.

The only thing that was not in the lee kit is a case length trimmer, I bought a lee one for around £8

You might want to buy some plastic ammo boxes to keep your homeloads seperate, and in good condition, those are under a fiver.
Slowly add bits to your kit untill you are happy with your set up. Everyone seems to personalize their loading rig to suit their own needs or ideas.

Main thing is work safe, and that means without distractions like screaming kids, nagging wife, or bloody Coronation Street, and unfortunately alchohol

stone

hi 2428 miles
i ended up buying a RCBS rock chucker supreme
cost an arm and a leg but one useful bit of kit in it was the
speer reloading manual 13th edition
it has a start to finish step by step on reloading a rifle bullet aswell it shows you some things to look out for like dangers when inspecting cases and problems when reloading , i look back at it time to time if i start to encounter reloading errors not sure what other books show as i use the net to find most of the reloading data i may need
just a thought
enjoy

poddle

Good point from Stone, most of the powder makers have a web site and lots of info can be gleaned from them.
Please do not be tempted to overload your stuff with too much powder, there really is no advantage and it could kill you or someone nearby.
I stick to minimum loads or thereabouts and I have no problems with the barrel burning out or the chamber bulgeing, all nice and safe.

Be careful about accepting "tips" or "hot loads" from strangers on certain web sites.
Very often these chancers are pushing the safety limits, and for very little gain. They are also not around when your gun explodes at 60,000 psi in your face.
Play safe and stick to the book, and you will have a safe and enjoyable extention to your shooting.
I'm sure we could all bombard you with great info for months, but the best way is to jump in and have a go, just make sure you ask questions if anything seems unclear. I'm sure the guys on the forum are all ready to help

ATB Poddle

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
In pursuit of economy and also allowing yourself more shooting per pound sterling, then reloading is the way to go. There is also a way to allow you to shoot more than this. How? by casting your own bullets. Now I know that you are all going to scream at me about achieving the necessary velocity to comply with ballistic legalities, but I am not talking about stalking Deer with them.

I am however talking about using them in your stalking rifle, for small game. This then provides not only really cheap shooting, it gives you the opportunity to practice endlessly with your stalking rifle.

On the left is a .243 with 100 gr Sierra head, a stalking round, next to that is a .243 cast bullet, a practice round. A fox cannot tell the difference, honest. Then there is a Hornet 35 gr Hornady, and a Hornet 46 gr cast bullet, both do the same job, just that one doe's it a little better.
There is the added advantage of never shooting out a barrel with cast rounds, they just ain't going to be that hot, and it is good fun.

Just another view

John