Risk Assessment

6pointer

Visual Risk assessment should always be done before a shot is fired how comprehensive well that's down to the shooter and what he know,s.

sauer

Sorry .... Absolute no no for me .... Houses n cars etc slightly off line & not very far away either ..

Now before I'm shot down in flames .... My opinion & im entitled to it ..

Same as if you would take the shot ... Crack on

Paul

Sylvanius

Snap - technically safe, but viewed from those houses, in effect the rifle would appear to be pointing in the direction of the housing, which is just asking for a complaint to the police - exacerbated by the bambi factor of course! The shot sound is also going to travel directly in that direction (moderator or not) too. No way would I take that shot myself as it's begging for an outcry from the occupants of the estate. If in doubt my own rule is "there's always another day". Each to their own, but definitely not one for me.

Jagare

I would ask the owner of the house if i could put a lean to high seat on the end of the house in exchange for a bit of venison :cool:.

Markfox

Just going on the picture I don't think I'd want to shoot deer there , it's too close to an estate for starters I'm not fussed about the odd country cottage etc but not an estate you would attract a bit to much attention for my liking

on the other hand if you had your back towards the estate facing the opposite way the pic was taken there could be miles of countryside and plenty of safe backstop etc in which case it'd be a perfectly fine shot for first thing in the morning / sun up and no one would even know

Last edited:

rodp

I would say that shot is perfectly safe, however it is still not sensible.

Really ?? To be honest all sorts of things would run through my mind. How about a ricochet off a hidden rock, or kids from the estate in the long grass. I'm not saying you're wrong with your assumption, just that I couldn't take the shot, my mind wouldn't let me.

Dorsettaff

Not for me! Just too many potential risks. What happens if you have a "runner"? Leave it for another day or just to enjoy an urban deer!

Although I'm with Jagare...hi seat in a garden...or out of the window of one of the bedrooms! :oops:

alan

In answer to the above, I thought that that type of discussion is what this site is all about.....
Opinions. Would you, could you and if not why not.
I would also like to add that six pointer who asked the question, won't take to kindly to being called a clown, I don't think I'd care to be in swinging distance calling him something like that. Big Guy but nice Guy.
Alan

Hereford

Looks to be around 50-60 yards - head shot all the way face on - if that's early in the morning I doubt you'd ruffle any feathers either.

A picture doesnt give you the depth of perception as if you were standing there either - it also doesn't stop you from allowing the quarry to move around or for you to quarter to get a more comfortable shot.

I've seen more dubious shots taken against a hedgerow with roads behind and summit shots.

It also depends upon how empty the freezer is!

Last edited:

bogtrotter

You can only really tell if you are in that situation what's safe and what's not, they say the camera doesn't lie but it can be misleading.
As for the comments about it being a housing estate, well some would rather not but there are more and more calls for control of urban deer populations.

Urban deer control is what 6pointer does what's pictured is an everyday scenario for him, he has to deal with housing ,traffic and the general
public every time he takes a shot , not a situation I would care to be in, but he is a foremost authority in Urban deer management so I think I will leave it up to him to make the call.

The fourth Horseman

No possible way!!!! Looks like development site, concrete,stone and every possibility of ricochet. Urban control or not, shot not to be taken unless it's an ISIS deer.

Shootist

The shot is probably safe. If you are happy with probably safe shots then it's your choice. There are only two choices. One is to not take the shot, two is to take the probably safe shot. As a backup thought, what do you think your firearms licensing officer think about the shot? What do you think he would do if you did? Me? Never in a million years.

Tuck

You could probably take that shot 100 times and all would be well and good, but there's always a risk with those houses behind. Would I risk my FAC for a Roe deer or any deer come to that. No chance.

Taff

Taking into consideration the size of the deer to the size of the cars I would say the picture is deceptive , and actually further away than it looks ( maybe wrong) would I shoot it, now that would depend on the need to take the shot, there are actually two fences between the houses, one area looks mown,suppose you could always get close enough and slot it with a .22 sub, after all this post is tryin to cause controversy .

DeerDucksFishin

Taking into consideration the size of the deer to the size of the cars I would say the picture is deceptive , and actually further away than it looks ( maybe wrong) would I shoot it, now that would depend on the need to take the shot, there are actually two fences between the houses, one area looks mown,suppose you could always get close enough and slot it with a .22 sub, after all this post is tryin to cause controversy .

:rofl: