Road reg a second hand quad ?

jimmy milnes

Can anyone tell me how easy it is to get say a 10/15 year old quad road registered on plg please.
I've decided life would be a good bit easier on my permission with a quad but it's 3miles from the house so not worth trailering it.
Anyone done it or looked into doing it ?
Much appreciated
Jimmy

VSS

Difficult. I gave up, and part-exed mine for something that was already registered.
You need to obtain a type approval certificate from the manufacturer, which they are reluctant to issue on older machines. You'll need the chassis number, which is often rusted off on older machines, and you may need to take it to an inspection centre.

windygun

If it’s a Honda you’re in luck as the HMRC Nova document required to apply for an age related plate is supplied free of charge provided the quad was originally supplied new in the uk. Should apply with other manufacturers but may not be as straightforward. I did the same last year, if it’s a Honda I’ll pm you the address over. D.

jimmy milnes

Incidentally, you shouldn't need it on plg. Agricultural reg should suffice. No road tax to pay then.

Do you know if you're allowed to have it agriculture reg if you not an agricultural business? ie.. just Joe blogs using it for personal reasons ''shooting''
Again much appreciated
Jimmy

Yorric

Some Honda quads in the UK were imported indirectly -i.e. not through Honda Uk. In these cases Honda UK don't hold the type certificates & these need to be obtained from the country where the quads were first destined for.
Honda UK will be able to advise where a quad was first exported to if you give them the chassis number. They will then advise you to make contact with the Honda HQ there.
I'm looking to register my quad & I've found that my quad was intended for the Australian market. I need to phone Honda Oz to get the certificate as their local website contact form won't work without an Australian post code! -- Frustrating!! :cuckoo:

Ian

VSS

Agri reg puts a limit on road miles, or so I believe, which I think is shorter than your 3 miles.

You're thinking of the limited use exemption.
Full Agri reg allows all purposes in connection with agriculture, farm diversification, forestry etc and also a certain amount of social and domestic. Stalking can easily be covered under forestry or agriculture, as it is crop protection.
As far as mileage goes, I think you're limited to operating within a radius of 20km of base, but don't quote me on that because I can't remember exactly.

Markfox

I’d sell it and buy one that’s registered it’ll be easier

Nearly all will be agri use etc , I don’t think I’ve ever heard of one as PLG

labrador77

You're thinking of the limited use exemption.
Full Agri reg allows all purposes in connection with agriculture, farm diversification, forestry etc and also a certain amount of social and domestic. Stalking can easily be covered under forestry or agriculture, as it is crop protection.
As far as mileage goes, I think you're limited to operating within a radius of 20km of base, but don't quote me on that because I can't remember exactly.

I've got a 2002 honda atv that's registered as an agricultural vehicle, the insurance policy through NFU covers me for SDP use too. As said, much easier to buy one that's pre registered.

jimmy milnes

Many thanks to all who replied. I've decided to stick out for one that already registered simply for the easy life..
Jimmy

VSS

Many thanks to all who replied. I've decided to stick out for one that already registered simply for the easy life..
Jimmy

If yours is in reasonable condition you should be able to get a good part-x deal on it. I was pleasantly surprised how much I got for mine when I traded it in. By the time I also took advantage of the discounts offered to basc / nfu members my new machine came in at a very reasonable price.