Roe Buck Brace (Fonthill Estate)

I had a few weeks with family down in Wiltshire and set up an outing with Fonthill Estate. Met Gary early on Saturday and shot the estate rifle at the target (as well as from the sticks). With that part taken care of we headed out in search of a buck. Got out of the truck into field field and within 20 steps we had a full buck 100 yards in front of us!! I think we both thought the same thing…. This is too good to be true. As it turns out this buck did not give us a safe shot, which turned out to be a good thing….

Into the next field we both spotted a decent looking buck grazing on the hedgerow. We stalked down with wind in our face. We got to where I felt comfortable taking a shot from the sticks. Feeling good, squeezed the trigger. This is where the fair tail turned into reality. Shot felt fine but deer reaction not great, almost looking like a miss despite us both thinking we heard bullet impact. This is when Gary really showed his experience, quickly realizing follow up shot was needed. Fortunately for me, the buck ran into the adjacent field and left me a safe opportunity for 2nd shot which dropped him where he stood. Exactly the kind of buck I was after, six point with great pearling and character.

Evening plan was to glass a large valley waiting for the deer to move. We pushed a couple of does out on the way in, but we’re confident we would see more deer as the evening continued. Very quickly we had bucks everywhere! At least three. One cull buck ended up 15 yards from us but never gave a safe shot and was constantly moving (trashing bushes and jumping all over the place!). Once the cull buck left, we realized a nice looking old buck was slowing making his way across the field in front of us. We got set up and waited for a good shot. This time, shot dropped the deer where he stood. This buck was older and heavier. Super cool looking deer!!

Both deer caped out and will get at least one shoulder mounted. Really was an awesome day on bucks and can not thank Gary enough. Will be back later in the year for Muntjac. Fonthill Estate is a really stunning place!!

Attachments

• 4AAD94D8-0B1C-4594-A161-195CC73714D6.jpeg
    4AAD94D8-0B1C-4594-A161-195CC73714D6.jpeg
    446.8 KB · Views: 1,312
  • AA49A569-9E4E-4BDB-9BB9-D65B222962B0.jpeg
    AA49A569-9E4E-4BDB-9BB9-D65B222962B0.jpeg
    611 KB · Views: 120

NickJ

Lovely old buck.

The estate owner is a lucky man, owning Fonthill and Islay estates!

tusker

It is a wonderful estate. The family dont like too much publicity but I can tell you that not many estates are as well run and managed as that one. I should know I worked there for 12 years and have a few nice heads on my wall. Gary is a great chap a nicer guy you couldnt meet.
Tusker

joelewis055

It is a wonderful estate. The family dont like too much publicity but I can tell you that not many estates are as well run and managed as that one. I should know I worked there for 12 years and have a few nice heads on my wall. Gary is a great chap a nicer guy you couldnt meet.
Tusker
Completely right about Gary, top guy (I did check with him on doing the write up).

Keeper randell

Thank you Joe and Tusker for your kind words!!!
It was a great couple of outings we had Joe with a few animals seen and two good animals taken!!
Your right about the family and estate Tusker, Joe had enquired about stalking with us and then attempted to find out a little more about stalking on the estate with no joy via google. So Joe’s write up will offer a little insight of what we’re about for anyone else looking.