Roe Buck Stalking general cost enquiry

weimaraner

Hello All !

Firstly, apologies if i have not posted this thread in the correct area.

Could anyone please tell me what is " the going rate / reasonable cost " for roe buck and roe doe stalking in Whithorn / Galloway Forest areas ?
ie. cost per stalk, shot fee, medal cost, buying carcass etc.

Basically, what is the general, acceptable overall cost ?

Can anyone recommend a good, reputable deer stalker in that region please ?

Thank you very much for any replies.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

ATB.

unicorn71

Most guides will charge around £150 per day then a charge for bucks based on quality or a flat rate -each guide has their own scale of charges , carcass will normally be a cost based on weight. In the area you mention I would be speaking to Solway Stalker (colin) who has a superb reputation for fair dealing and getting his clients deer -PM him via the forum .

Willie

Stalking prices vary depending on target species and likelihood of getting a shot and various other factors, but just to give you an indicative price for roe buck stalking I have listed the following,

£60/80 per stalk (morning or evening)
£40 per shot taken
£0/120 for cull buck to 6 pointer
££££££ for medal head
£50+ for carcass depending on game dealers prices

Stalkers sometimes offer all inclusive prices.

Plenty of stalkers offering stalking in the "Stalking Opportunities" section. PM them and they will forward you their prices.

Good luck.

purdeydog

Willie, Whats a shot fee? How does the shot fee differentiate from the stalk fee or the buck fee depend on quality etc?

Last edited:

tony rentokil

A shot fee is like,when they tax you on your wage packet,then tax you again on your bonus/overtime.
Up the Revolution.

nun_hunter

Shot fee generally means that if you go for a stalk and see nothing it'll only cost you say £60, maybe abother £60 if you do shoot something. whereas another guide will charge you £120 for the stalk even if it's blank, but of you shoot something it won't be extra. Whatever you choose make sure you know what you're paying for and you're happy at that price. Don't go on a paid stalk if you're unsure of how much it'll all cost if you shoot something.

Willie

Shot fee generally means that if you go for a stalk and see nothing it'll only cost you say £60, maybe abother £60 if you do shoot something. whereas another guide will charge you £120 for the stalk even if it's blank, but of you shoot something it won't be extra. Whatever you choose make sure you know what you're paying for and you're happy at that price. Don't go on a paid stalk if you're unsure of how much it'll all cost if you shoot something.
Good advice

philip

If your a newbie to stalking, getting a reasonable Roebuck is everyone's ideal, pay up for that and get it out of the way - then concentrate on Roe does with a buck during the summer season thrown in as a pressy to ones self :D

concentrate on finding a decent stalker who has deer on board and doesn't take you for walk, doesn't do a shoot fee and tries his best to connect you with a shot, that's all you want is the chance, stick with him and you'll enjoy it

all this balloney about shoot fee, per point costs etc it's a lot of old cods wallop just to squeeze more of your hard earned out your pocket into theirs, if you pull a shot and have to ask for help with a tracking dog expect to pay or at least give em a decent drink, it's for the deers sake not the shooter.

Too many people are spoiling stalking for the sake of money, there are some decent outfitters out there, it just seems to find them you have go through the mill before the right one comes along

good luck and enjoy your time in the field

phil

weimaraner

Thank you very much to everyone who has replied to my original post, i appreciate all the comments.
( Two Thumbs Up to nun_hunter + philip, much appreciated advice )

ATB.

Dexter

If your a newbie to stalking, getting a reasonable Roebuck is everyone's ideal, pay up for that and get it out of the way - then concentrate on Roe does with a buck during the summer season thrown in as a pressy to ones self :D

concentrate on finding a decent stalker who has deer on board and doesn't take you for walk, doesn't do a shoot fee and tries his best to connect you with a shot, that's all you want is the chance, stick with him and you'll enjoy it

all this balloney about shoot fee, per point costs etc it's a lot of old cods wallop just to squeeze more of your hard earned out your pocket into theirs, if you pull a shot and have to ask for help with a tracking dog expect to pay or at least give em a decent drink, it's for the deers sake not the shooter.

Too many people are spoiling stalking for the sake of money, there are some decent outfitters out there, it just seems to find them you have go through the mill before the right one comes along

good luck and enjoy your time in the field

phil
Personnally I think that you have a chip on your shoulder about something Phil? A pro stalker has to earn his money just like everyone else does. It involves long hours and many over-heads. A deer can only be shot once so why shouldn't the most valuable animals cost the stalker more money to shoot? A shot fee appears to be the way ahead to me personally? At least that way he's got to find you a deer to earn his money and doesn't empty your wallet if he fails. Would you work for £60 for 3 hours and then take away all the costs including vehicles and ground rent. I doubt that he would end up on a minimum wage after that little lot?
Obviously you're entitled to your opinion but it appears to me that the other posters on here are a bit more realistic about how it is than you?
Basically I would add to what the other posters have said and work out what you're happy to pay. If the costs are above board and you're happy with them then go for it.
Finally, don't expect to get a deer every time. It just doesn't work like that.

Last edited:

bogtrotter

Personnally I think that you have a chip on your shoulder about something Phil? A pro stalker has to earn his money just like everyone else does. It involves long hours and many over-heads. A deer can only be shot once so why shouldn't the most valuable animals cost the stalker more money to shoot? A shot fee appears to be the way ahead to me personally? At least that way he's got to find you a deer to earn his money and doesn't empty your wallet if he fails. Would you work for £60 for 3 hours and then take away all the costs including vehicles and ground rent. I doubt that he would end up on a minimum wage after that little lot?
Obviously you're entitled to your opinion but it appears to me that the other posters on here are a bit more realistic about how it is than you?
Basically I would add to what the other posters have said and work out what you're happy to pay. If the costs are above board and you're happy with them then go for it.
The best and most realistic post on the subject IMO

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
What people ask for their Roe buck stalking or any stalking is basically their business.

If you wanted a builder or mechanic to do a job for you, you ask or look around for the best professional job, the cheapest dosnt always get you the quality work, does it?

In a way deer stalking is much the same, good quality ground, well managed costs money now I am afraid. If you have ground of your own and pay nothing for it, well done you. If you are a professional stalker then you put in far more time, and money than any recreational stalker will ever do. HOWEVER there is a trend these days for many who have ground and are recreational to sell stalking and start guiding. Many I have no doubt are very good stalkers and fair with people, but in many cases they are not commercially insured and neither is their vehicle for carrying clients around.

Roe buck stalking is very popular amongst stalkers, and there is only a limited amount of bucks to be taken out each year. Charging a shot fee is something I have never done. Kill fee once taken yes, missing or shot fee on top of the buck fee, no.

We have had this posting about fees time and time again on here, if you speak to the guide/outfitter/stalker and have all the facts about cost and what is involved for the stalk, then its up to the individual to make their mind up about whether they want to go ahead and book.

My advice for anyone wishing to book stalking is to make sure all the facts are in the open, in writing if you require it and then make your choice. If you dont like what you see or hear, walk away and look somewhere else.

jamross65

Beat me to it......:thumb:

Can't understand the bitterness that seeps through every single time this topic comes up. More importantly can't understand why folk post when they don't know what they are talking about.....

Tet

HOWEVER there is a trend these days for many who have ground and are recreational to sell stalking and start guiding. Many I have no doubt are very good stalkers and fair with people, but in many cases they are not commercially insured and neither is their vehicle for carrying clients around... ...My advice for anyone wishing to book stalking is to make sure all the facts are in the open, in writing if you require it and then make your choice. If you dont like what you see or hear, walk away and look somewhere else.
Good points in here, as a newbie I have fallen foul of buying 'stalking' from a recreational/hobbyist. He is a lovely guy and when on his own 'happy to go for a walk' and if he had the opportunity take a shot he would. I am also happy to walk, but not at £60 an outting and no deer, or sign of them, seen. The trouble is, and I think SikaMalc has nailed it, there is a huge difference in probable outcome between professional guides and social/recreational stalkers - but on a cost basis they are similar.

One thing that would help, is to know what questions to ask and what the answers mean - I can see another thread on this to help all of us newbies out.

McKenzie

The money is one part of the equation & has been covered above.

The other part of the equation is finding someone to stalk with that you are happy to spend time with. I have paid for a couple of stalks with some of the nastiest, meanest human beings I have ever had the misfortune to came across and also paid for stalking with some delightful, genuine & interesting people who I would be honoured to be out & about with.

Let me know if we're still on for next week Brian.

The fourth Horseman

When I worked on one particular estate, we charged no stalking fee. Sika stags were a set price for a six pointer and obviously more for an eight pointer. Hinds were a set price per animal. Roe were all one price per buck (which ever the Stalker decided you should shoot) does were again a fixed price per animal. It seemed to work out best for everyone that way, no hidden costs and the onus was on me to find animals suitable for the guest.

philip

Beat me to it......:thumb:

Can't understand the bitterness that seeps through every single time this topic comes up. More importantly can't understand why folk post when they don't know what they are talking about.....
Dexter / JR.

no shoulder chips here matey

I run a successful business which includes deer, I run that within the parameters of making a profit, no one does anything for nothing and I for one wouldn't ask anyone to do that on my behalf.

I want to grow a profit so I plan, progress and gradually get bigger and better and never ever forget service standards.

having the means of supply is a different ball game - personally I wouldn't take new business on board unless I can undertake that 100% and fulfill to provide an excellent service standard

It seems that is lacking in some quarters, which means albeit seasoned or newbie stalkers have an experience of going through the mill to find a decent outfitter that's suits what they want, that's the way it is, seems that that "going through the mill" bit is more common and I guess now an accepted part of deer stalking for some

I'm not knocking anyone, no bitterness or whatever you want to call it, not looking for a slanging match, but if you you can't see the wood for the trees, small business opportunity will provide small profit, flogging the same old small bit of deer stalking ground for profit will not work it can only supply what it can, you can't just keep putting prices up when you've got the foundation on shaky ground, no deer = disgruntled clients