Roe Buck Stalking general cost enquiry

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
I should also add that Outfitting is slightly different to guiding.

In my opinion outfitting is supplying everything for a stalking trip/holiday. From meeting and greeting the client at the airport, with a nice clean modern vehicle, licences all taken care of, good quality accommodation, supplying the chef/cook, guides who know what they are doing and experienced, renting a castle or stately home to stay, or arranging the accommodation nearby, having the ground to stalk on with the right species and the quality asked for. Catering for non hunting clients, sightseeing with driver vehicle etc. Guides/stalkers that can cape off the trophy properly, or skin off for a full mount.

The list goes on, been doing it for nearly 40 years now.

On the other hand you will have clients who want to stalk at a weekend or one or two outings that require to just be taken out and hopefully grass a deer, and then take the carcase home for consumption and are not expecting the full service, of being picked up at an airport and their meals, accommodation taken care of.

Whatever you require it just pays to ask for references, ask questions, make sure you are happy with the answers. NO matter how good people claim to be at stalking and how good the ground is you will NOT grass deer every time you go stalking, so bare that in mind.

stubear

The whole "grassing a deer every time" (or indeed every third outing as I've heard said) is worth a mention.

My first weekend ever out on deer really was a case of the stars aligning to be totally frank - I got two fallow bucks down, and that was more a combination of a great guide who knows his ground (thanks Paul!) and the rut being in full swing as opposed to any real skill on my part. I did my best at the time but my field craft has certainly improved since then.

That sort of left me with the impression that when stalking you get the chance to knock them over left right and centre which in reality isnt the case at all. I knew the reality in my heart, but come on? Two deer down in one weekend? Clearly I was awesome (not!!) ;)

Following on from that trip I didn't actually get another deer down until December last year where I got a CWD doe when I was out with Malc.

Now in the interim I did see a lot of deer when I was out, I learnt one heck of a lot (and continue to do so) and enjoyed some truly memorable outings.

Stalking to within 15 feet of a couched up roe doe with Malc last summer and standing there watching her for a good 10 minutes, all the while her eyeballing us suspiciously, stands out in my mind. I managed to repeat the feat with Tommy a few months later with a fallow buck, although that buck was less inclined to hang around once he realised we were there hehe :)

I've also met some really great folks, had some quality craic and got to know people who I hope will become firm friends.

Do I feel shortchanged because I've "only" shot three deer in my stalking career to date? Absolutely not!!

You need to just enjoy the whole experience, the being outdoors, the anticipation that you might get a shot off at any minute and yes, even the fun of researching/shopping for kit and being on SD when we cant be out in the field.

Just being outside and being quiet means you see so much that you dont get a chance to see when you're out with a group of people and everyone is talking. I really enjoy going out on my own now with my binos and buttalo just to see what I can spot.

If you can enjoy that side of things then getting a shot off is just the icing on the cake :)

jamross65

The money is one part of the equation & has been covered above.

The other part of the equation is finding someone to stalk with that you are happy to spend time with. I have paid for a couple of stalks with some of the nastiest, meanest human beings I have ever had the misfortune to came across and also paid for stalking with some delightful, genuine & interesting people who I would be honoured to be out & about with.

Let me know if we're still on for next week Brian.
PMSL! I wondered what category I fell into for a minute there!!!! :rofl::scared:

Kalahari

I just wish people's web sites had the up to date information in black and white. How a professional stalker charges is their business but surely it is in everybody's interest to have it clearly understood. Not the prevalent call this number situation, which means that it may be difficult to contact people and the stalker doesn't have to deal with "time-wasters" who find out halfway through the call that they wish to go elsewhere.

David.

mudman

Stalking is incredibly cheap compared to driven game shooting!

But so it should be....the costs associated with stalking for a provider can be very small ( at a very minimum insurance). Of course most providers have to rent the land, and good land is in demand so the costs of rent can be high (or nothing - strange game this stalking malarkey), the costs need to be past on to the end user, and the provider should make a profit, so there is a margin on top of that.

bogtrotter

But so it should be....the costs associated with stalking for a provider can be very small ( at a very minimum insurance)

Not as cheap as some think, Rent of ground variable
vehicle insurance needs to be business insurance needs to cover paying clients and and off road road use and product in this case venison carcasses not cheap especially when you mention firearms being transported as part of the business.

Public liability again not cheap because firearms are involved was paying £800 per annum until recently, have now managed to find a company who will provide what I need at a considerable reduction,unfortunately there are not that many companies who will provide the cover we require again because firearms are involved.

Even a decent sized chill unit costs a bit to run had a meter put on mine and it was using £15 per day or almost a £100 a week of course this is dependent on outside temperature as how hard it has to work.

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff

But so it should be....the costs associated with stalking for a provider can be very small ( at a very minimum insurance)

Not as cheap as some think, Rent of ground variable
vehicle insurance needs to be business insurance needs to cover paying clients and and off road road use and product in this case venison carcasses not cheap especially when you mention firearms being transported as part of the business.

Public liability again not cheap because firearms are involved was paying £800 per annum until recently, have now managed to find a company who will provide what I need at a considerable reduction,unfortunately there are not that many companies who will provide the cover we require again because firearms are involved.

Even a decent sized chill unit costs a bit to run had a meter put on mine and it was using £15 per day or almost a £100 a week of course this is dependent on outside temperature as how hard it has to work.

Quite right Boggy, but then we have those that think it is all for FREE, and why should anyone make a living out of their hobby.

I have paid for a couple of stalks with some of the nastiest, meanest human beings I have ever had the misfortune to came across and also paid for stalking with some delightful, genuine & interesting people who I would be honoured to be out & about with.
Ain't that the truth!! You'll potentially be spending a good few hours alone with the stalker - makes the whole experience so much more enjoyable if it's someone you can chat to and get on with.

My only experience on sika was totally ruined by a screwed up booking (on the estate's part) leaving me with no accommodation, a 02:30am start with a long drive and a stalker who had driven from Newcastle to Peebles at a similar ungodly hour to take me out (and clearly resented his weekend being disrupted). I'd love to stalk sika again, but really don't want another experience like that!

Both solwaystalker and Pete at Lowther estates are absolute gentlemen though and a pleasure to spend a few hours with. Both will do their absolute best to find you a deer. I'm sure there are plenty of others out there too.