Roe bucks appeared yet?

UK Outfitters

NickJ

Has anyone else's bucks reappeared yet?....still no sign on my patches, I'm getting a bit worried now with only 3 weeks left to finish the cull, now you start thinking should I readjust my cull plan....?

They do the usual lie-low after the rut but am usually seeing them again by now. Maybe I just can't see them - if so I hope this wind, rain and frost will knock some leaves off...

devon deer stalker

Funny you should ask that question now, just shot my first one this morning having not seen one for several weeks.
This was after having my cross hairs on a Red Stag, 11 points, huge beast with his hinds.....but not safe! they just wandered into the woods, end of story!
Cheers
Richard

devon deer stalker

Funny you should ask that question now, just shot my first one this morning having not seen one for several weeks.
This was after having my cross hairs on a Red Stag, 11 points, huge beast with his hinds.....but not safe! they just wandered into the woods, end of story!
Cheers
Richard

300wsm

Just out of interest why leave it until now to cull them and not get the cull complete prior to the rut?

300wsm

Just out of interest why leave it until now to cull them and not get the cull complete prior to the rut?

willie_gunn

We've been seeing bucks since the rut. Hoped to get one this morning but instead ended up with possibly the smallest muntjac doe I've shot! Saw a nice roe buck but it was skylined.

willie_gunn

snowstorm

Mine had disappeared so I have left the place alone for 3 weeks, apart from a bit of woodie pest control with the SG.

Its encouraging to hear they are emerging elsewhere.

S.

smithp18

Hi
Little showing since the rut until this weekend, seen three and shot an old buck last night, I had seen him earlier on in the season (April) but he had disappeared until now. Half his tine ends were broken and there were some grazes on his neck and shoulders which had heeled, so he must have been in the wars a little with the other bucks, and I did se a much bigger lad not to far away Saturday afternoon.
I would like to say and I hope people don’t think me a bit soft, but I was a little sad well a lot actually I had know this buck for some time and had watched him when he was younger even before I got the stalking but like most things all good things must come to an end his head was low and a shadow of his past and he needed Taking.

Smithy

:lol:

Heym SR20

The simple answer is that the bucks will all reappear on October 21st and will stand in broad daylight with clear easy shots until March 31st.

On 21 st October all the does will vanish from sight to reappear on 1st April.

But I did catch up with one very old buck ten days ago - teeth well worn down - obviously had no concept of time!

Heym SR20

Bandit Country

Heym SR20 said:
But I did catch up with one very old buck ten days ago - teeth well worn down - obviously had no concept of time! Heym SR20

If he was that old maybe he knew his time had come?

Hi smithp18

I dont think you are soft, I felt the same way about a big old fallow buck I shot this week, I have been seeing this handsome beast for a number of years now and I had become quite fond of him. Well I paid him ultimate respect, he was shot cleanly and he will be my guest at sunday dinner when the family come around. Craig

NickJ

Thanks - put my mind at rest, that and - sods law in the week since I posted I saw in my big wood 2 and got the one I was after. (A perfectly formed, even six pointer altough only 5" long even though tooth section says 5yo.)

300wsm - I do try and take my cull before the rut, however I don't always acheive it and have a very short window in April in the said big wood before the cover is up and with no rides or clearing in 400 acres of mixed woodland it's tough!

Night Vision Store