Roe deer are the best... ❤

Scandially

Just got in from work at 0200hrs and my phone went from a private number. It was the police calling me to dispatch a deer on the road after being turned down from the 24h vets and our favourite charity the SPCA... so i got to the scene of a young buck on his side in some distress and i stroked him and got his heartbeat down.. he was in transition and looked scruffy but his belly was full. After 15 minutes i got him up to his feet and noticed an injury to his left front elbow which he was not putting weight on... i led him into the long grass and within 5 minutes he was eating grass so i told the WPC he deserved to live and go on to be a father next year. She broke down in tears and i seen the bobby smile from ear 2 ear. I will check on him as if anything deserves to live it's little buck. I'm getting soft FFS.

Just sitting having a cuppa on day 2 of my long postponed trip to Perthshire and as usual (still) going through the SD posts. This post and my initial reaction earlier this am has been fermenting away unknowingly in the back of that scrum of remaining neurones which these days passes for my brain.
As I have said in other posts I have finally managed to return to Perthshire after three cancelled trips and on day one (yesterday) shot a buck. This young lad was no trophy animal, pretty scruffy in mid-moult and no big deal in terms of a head but as I watched him through my sights I was struck by just how beautiful these creatures really are and I really did for just a short moment hesitate to shoot him. In my defence the landowner has a roe problem with her newly planted oaks so he really had to go but watching him feeding then for no apparent reason lifting his head and looking straight at me and then looking at him on the ground a few minutes later after a 30 yds death run, I am not afraid to admit I was quite moved by it all and even now am reflecting on the experience. Maybe I am getting soft too, I am after all nearly 18 months older than the last time I even saw a roe and fast approaching my ”use by” date but my god what a lovely creature they are, we are blessed to have them and they deserve our fullest respect. Treat them well guys.
🦊🦊

Exceptional post.

Very good judgement and probably not what I would have done in that situation, glad to see a happy ending and shows you should always think twice.

👍

Just got in from work at 0200hrs and my phone went from a private number. It was the police calling me to dispatch a deer on the road after being turned down from the 24h vets and our favourite charity the SPCA... so i got to the scene of a young buck on his side in some distress and i stroked him and got his heartbeat down.. he was in transition and looked scruffy but his belly was full. After 15 minutes i got him up to his feet and noticed an injury to his left front elbow which he was not putting weight on... i led him into the long grass and within 5 minutes he was eating grass so i told the WPC he deserved to live and go on to be a father next year. She broke down in tears and i seen the bobby smile from ear 2 ear. I will check on him as if anything deserves to live it's little buck. I'm getting soft FFS.
Now....let the anti's read this and say we are not conservationists!!!. Just as well it wasn't a Police van!!!!. Bravo I take my hat off to you!!

Patrick

Nothing at all to do with being 'soft', and I suspect it's always been a part of you. As others have said, it's what antis and their ilk just don't comprehend: that you can be an animal lover at the same time as being a hunter. Possibly more-so than many, I suspect, due to the fact we actually understand and appreciate not only the animals we shoot, but their environment, ecology, and all that comes with it. I really respect and understand that attitude, and I know I'm not alone :thumb:

That's the sort of thing the likes of packham and his followers don't understand about countrymen
Yes one of the things my wife always say the antis never sees thing like this. She always has a smile on her face when she sees me chasing young frogs off the lawn before I start cutting it.

I must admit when I look back 40 or more years I occasionally get a pang of guilt, especially when I look at old photos. But then in those days it was my job, now I have a choice I often just sit and watch them rather than remove families.

Attachments

• IMG_20210427_104139_1.jpg
    IMG_20210427_104139_1.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 110
Try explain to antis how we shoot animals but are heartbroken when burying your dog. We pass on shooting a buck one season, only to actively seek him out in another season.
Gamekeeper protects his birds against all sorts when they're small, only to do his level best to get them all shot later on.
Better men than me may well have the answer.

Gixer, it was a shield against my haters... of which many were on here.
I was accused of being a Paedo for mentoring two young lads so i was on the back foot coming at them from my corner.

Last edited:
Back