Roe everywhere

Cyres

For the last month or so I have seen hardly any roe on my ground or on my daily commute. The ones I have seen were very late at night when out foxing.

Monday and Tuesday I saw several roe on my daily commute but last night whilst out after rabbits there seemed to be a roe in virtually every field i was in. At 8.30 pm I briefly saw some rutting activity and then at long range several bucks who were very purposely trotting over some stubble. At late dusk/later there were roe popping up in the strangest of places. Mostly does from what I could tell using the thermal.

I suspect we just seeing the start of the rut and coincided with the two cooler nights we have has (14c). with the temperature on the rise I expect things might kick off over the weekend.

D

kripton

Hi Dave,

Yep the rut has certainly started here - a couple of bucks chasing in the field behind the house last Wednesday and some more since then.

K

paulbshooting

Almost now at full steam over in Hampshire, lots of bucks and does moving in the evening, the younger bucks now responding to the call.

Erik Hamburger

Pal an I went this morning and saw 5 uncovered does. Not a buck in sight.

Nothing doing in W Sussex

FISH BOY I am at a loss...how do you see that a Roe doe is uncovered? Is there something I have missed in all the books I read and courses I have done and years of stalking hard? I am not taking the ****, I am just interested in learning. Thank you.

oowee

Same here in Somerset. The hot weather has almost made them disappear. Mostly to be found only on the margins rather than in the open. I wondered if the heat pushed them more nocturnal? Saw 5 early morning Tuesday of which three were very good and i managed to get the other two.
I was wondering what uncovered does were and just assumed it was one's not being followed by a buck?
IMG-20180801-WA0000[1] - Copy.jpg

FISH BOY

FISH BOY I am at a loss...how do you see that a Roe doe is uncovered? Is there something I have missed in all the books I read and courses I have done and years of stalking hard? I am not taking the ****, I am just interested in learning. Thank you.

Apologies for what might be lost in termanology, but advised to me is a female with no partner of the opposite sex in or around the surrounding area.

donsider

Lots of activity here in Aberdeenshire too. Called one into the shot on Tuesday morning near Alford and on my other ground near Dunecht I watched a buck mount his doe he was chasing three times. I'm out again this evening.

Apologies for what might be lost in termanology, but advised to me is a female with no partner of the opposite sex in or around the surrounding area.

Cyres

Rut clearly about to get going. Friday eve sat trapped in my truck as a pair of roe courted in the field about 75 yds away. Watched it all for 10 mins, the doe was being quite provocative but the buck was hesitant. It was lovely to watch. I saw at least another 3 pairs of roe within a few fields, but big bucks were not showing. It was very hot and humid. Sods law no camera and phone pictures to poor to post.

D

Chanty Wrassler

6 pointer right way up.jpg

This 6 pointer was following (but not chasing) a doe yesterday

I've given up trying to get the picture the right way up - edited now I've got it the right way up

Attachments

• 6 pointer.jpg
    6 pointer.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

norma 308

I went out on Sunday eve first time in a while for a buck and saw badger after badger after badger no buck oh and several foxs

Tarka01

Was out Friday evening , saw 4 does together in the open, called but only had two bucks bark back from deep in the wood , never saw them though