Roe Head Boiling

Zubuk

Hi,

I shot my first Roe buck last week and it looks like the head may make a bronze, its a 9 pointer :D

I've had a go at boiling the head but it hasn't come out that well. Instead of messing it up does anyone know of someone in the Bournemouth, Ringwood are that could do this for me?

Many thanks
Simon

Woodsmoke

Congratulations on your first buck!

It takes a bit of effort to get them clean. I generally scrape off as much flesh as possible during the process. Take care not to boil it too long though, as the skull can literally come apart at the seams. Once perfectly clean, I cover mine in kitchen paper soaked in hair lightening activator for a couple of hours (gets some raised eyebrows in Tesco when a bald bloke is buying blonde hair dye :lol::lol:) It's not difficult, but it does take a bit of patience

FISH BOY

Hi,

I shot my first Roe buck last week and it looks like the head may make a bronze, its a 9 pointer :D

I've had a go at boiling the head but it hasn't come out that well. Instead of messing it up does anyone know of someone in the Bournemouth, Ringwood are that could do this for me?

Many thanks
Simon

Have a look on u tube - good video on there, especially getting the brain out without a pressure washer (uses a coat hanger)

ChrisWill184

Did you take the skin off first?! :p Without joking I think I watched a video shooting show where they did that. Gads!

I now do lots of these a season and you want to have it on a decent rolling boil until the membrane on the face of the skull starts to separate and you can see the bare bone. Young bucks need less, old bucks need more time but the membrane guide works fine for me. Often a middle to later age buck takes 45 mins or more so don’t worry. It won’t fall to bits. At that point the meat is ready to be taken off fairly easily but there are plenty of grisly bits at the back of the skull to give you some practise with your knife skills. I stopped using a knife after finding the pressure washer. Don’t put it to its strongest setting if you have one but give it a good blast to remove all the meat and gristle ( and brain!) Only bits to watch are the nose bones and back teeth if it’s young since most of the effort to get meat off is focussed at the back of the head. I just paint the hairdressers peroxide on while the skull is damp and leave by a window for a day or two before rinsing. Easy peasy!

It can take take a long time with the knife even when it is well boiled and takes some perseverance. Not sure what stage you got to before you stopped.