Roe in west wales

Craigsaun

Just doing some research ,i am living in Carmarthenshire and there's a few farmers been telling me they have seen roe . I have been stalking for quite a few years here and see plenty of fallow my mate is seeing muntjac but neither of us have seen roe ,so is there any west waliens out there that can confirm these sitings Cheers

Dafydd1983

I’m from north wales and I remember chatting to a lad that was down Carmarthen way, he sent me a few pics of roe he’d shot, not many but he assured me they were there. Plenty of fallow like you say, be nice to see them come up a bit further north in my life time.

Sash

There have been the odd Roe seen in Pembrokeshire, mainly on the Castlemartin peninsular.
But they are VERY unusual: actually a few more Muntjac out here.

awmc

Just doing some research ,i am living in Carmarthenshire and there's a few farmers been telling me they have seen roe . I have been stalking for quite a few years here and see plenty of fallow my mate is seeing muntjac but neither of us have seen roe ,so is there any west waliens out there that can confirm these sitings Cheers
Answered in error
Sorry

adam204

I heard from what I'd like to think is a good source, that one or maybe two, I cant quite remember, had been shot as part of crop protection in the Trapp area of Carmarthenshire. Hence my question above to delta wolf. Trapp is not far from the Ammanford area.

delta wolf

I heard from what I'd like to think is a good source, that one or maybe two, I cant quite remember, had been shot as part of crop protection in the Trapp area of Carmarthenshire. Hence my question above to delta wolf. Trapp is not far from the Ammanford area.
Sorry, only just seen this! The one I heard about was towards Glanaman just south of Trapp again from a reliable source.

Fal

Perfect opportunity for any that are in the area to be left alone for a few years to see if they can establish, but they'll all get nailed. There are roe and muntjac in many, many places in Wales where people would never think they are. I tell a select few where I've seen them, it's not worth the word getting around especially with the amount of poachers and long dogs about.

Sash

hi l live in the area for a very long time never seen or heard that story about Muntjac or the odd Roe in Castlemartin peninsular.
The most interesting case was the Muntjac buck that swam out to Skomer Island in the 1980s. You simply don’t get much further west than that in Wales, not further from known deer areas.
It lived there for several months, being seen occasionaly, and barking. But it fell off one of the cliffs and was found dead. And so eaten!

Last edited: