Roe rut tactics - calling

Woodsy

I’ve read that the ‘best’ time for calling roe bucks during the rut is between 9am and 3pm (Richard Prior). With this in mind, a few questions for all you roe stalkers; assuming outside the rut you will concentrate your efforts around dawn and dusk, do you change tactics during the rut? And if so, what approach do you find most productive?

Do you combine the usual dawn/dusk with daytime calling? Or during the rut do you tend to give the early starts a miss and spend more time out during the day, having found calling at first/last light less productive than the 9am-3pm period?

Lastly, do you find calling tends to get easier later on in the rut? Or do you find the chances are the same from the start all the way through?

Erik Hamburger

I’ve read that the ‘best’ time for calling roe bucks during the rut is between 9am and 3pm (Richard Prior). With this in mind, a few questions for all you roe stalkers; assuming outside the rut you will concentrate your efforts around dawn and dusk, do you change tactics during the rut? And if so, what approach do you find most productive?

Do you combine the usual dawn/dusk with daytime calling? Or during the rut do you tend to give the early starts a miss and spend more time out during the day, having found calling at first/last light less productive than the 9am-3pm period?

Lastly, do you find calling tends to get easier later on in the rut? Or do you find the chances are the same from the start all the way through?

Hi Woodsy, First of all your assumption about dawn/dusk stalking times....I find in Winter, on a nice clear sunny day, it is much more pleasant and as successful to stalk around 11AM--3PM. (Breakfast at home, watch the morning news, morning paper, coffee..... ;) and than get ready to go for a stalk)
During the Roe rut any time of day will do. The success rate is certainly a little higher than the other Summer months at dawn/dusk, but not that much higher, say around 1:3 compared to a typical 1:4.
I don't find the early rut is more or less successful than the later rut - it is all very hit and miss, luck of the draw. I do try to cover as much ground as possible so move from one patch to another and from one permission to another staying no more than 15-20 min in the same location. If nothing is showing/barking after 15-20 min. I usually move on. Just try different strategies that suit your work/lifestyle. One thing is for sure: You have to be out there to get one!

Woodsy

Hi Woodsy, First of all your assumption about dawn/dusk stalking times....I find in Winter, on a nice clear sunny day, it is much more pleasant and as successful to stalk around 11AM--3PM. (Breakfast at home, watch the morning news, morning paper, coffee..... ;) and than get ready to go for a stalk)
During the Roe rut any time of day will do. The success rate is certainly a little higher than the other Summer months at dawn/dusk, but not that much higher, say around 1:3 compared to a typical 1:4.
I don't find the early rut is more or less successful than the later rut - it is all very hit and miss, luck of the draw. I do try to cover as much ground as possible so move from one patch to another and from one permission to another staying no more than 15-20 min in the same location. If nothing is showing/barking after 15-20 min. I usually move on. Just try different strategies that suit your work/lifestyle. One thing is for sure: You have to be out there to get one!
Thanks for your reply Erik, much appreciated. I’ve never tried stalking during midday in winter but will do so this year and see how it goes. I’m self employed so can juggle things around my work easily enough. With regards the rut, Ive been staying in one place much longer than 20 mins - an hour or so in each place, with ten mins or so before starting to call, ten mins or so of intermittent calling, followed by about 40 mins waiting to see if anything responds or just happens along. I’ll try shorter stints covering more ground and see how that changes my luck! I agree that being out there is key to any chance of success! All the best for now...