Rogue Heads

Klenchblaize

Firstly I wish to make clear the following suggestion to exercise a certain caution when purchasing "surplus to requirment" non factory sealed boxes of heads/bullets/projectiles does NOT relate to any of the splendid SD members I've had the good fortune to do buisnees with to date.

To those who say "then why the hell raise it" my reply is:
1. It may prevent someone blowing up their rifle or worse.
2. I'm surprised the site owners haven't posted something similar in the relevant Classifieds section.

On the basis a picture is worth a 1000 words the following should make clear the importance of taking time to ensure everything that's in a box of opened bullets matches yours and your rifle barrels expectation:

Time consuming it may be but aren't you both worth it?

K
Ps:
No doubt there will be those who assert it would not be possible to mistake an oversized and/or overweight bullet when it came to the case seating stage of reloading and even more so when lowering the arm on an over-bore (boatail) bullet, but I say you've clearly not read some of the posts on here that frankly suggest the members in question shouldn't be left unsupervised in a sand pit let alone a reloading den.

Harsh I'm sure but an exaggeration?

Last edited:

25 Sharps

I get what you're saying but the pictures show exactly what's advertised.

I did once get given some bullets to try by an RFD, 6x each of 3 weights, only to find one type was .243 not .224!!

hybridfiat

I broke the seal on a box od 50 .22 WRMs and found a Hornady .17 RFM.
Imagine my surprise!
I didn't complain as it went straight to the collection but how it got there I do not know.

On the basis a picture is worth a 1000 words the following should make clear the importance of taking time to ensure everything that's in a box of opened bullets matches yours and your rifle barrels expectation:
The two images show a bullet that is exactly as it should be, so do little to reinforce your point :confused: I was hoping for a few pictures of a box of bullets that were all sold as the same calibre / weight but contained some interesting rogues!

Harry mac

Yep. Bought an opened box of Hornady, .303 cal 150grn SP bullets as part of an auction lot. Half of them turned out to be .308 bullets.
I'd done an initial check by measuring 2 or 3 random bullets from the box, and, as stated in Sod's law, they all turned out to be the correct diameter. It was only when I got to seating the bullets on the batch I started loading that I discovered all was not as it seemed, as first one, then another bullet went in with no effort and no neck tension. I then measured every bullet, and ended up with 48 308 bullets and 50 303.
It's a good job I'd bought them as 303, and not 308s. There's a chance I might not have noticed the slight increase in effort to seat a .311 bullet in a .308 case.

Yorric

I wonder what the effect is of shooting 303 bullets through a 308 barrel. I guess the pressure would be high, but how high??
I've swaged 303 bullets down to 308 & they work fine, but I daren't try a .311 diameter bullet up a 308 barrel.

Ian

Klenchblaize

The two images show a bullet that is exactly as it should be, so do little to reinforce your point :confused: I was hoping for a few pictures of a box of bullets that were all sold as the same calibre / weight but contained some interesting rogues!
The two images reinforce the point I sought to make: Namely the contents should correspond with what's marked on the box!

K

Ray7756

I wonder what the effect is of shooting 303 bullets through a 308 barrel. I guess the pressure would be high, but how high??
I've swaged 303 bullets down to 308 & they work fine, but I daren't try a .311 diameter bullet up a 308 barrel.

Ian
x

maybe its me being thick but . 308 is 308 thousands of an inch and .303 is 303 thousands of an inch, 303 is smaller dia than 308 surely ????? Not a big difference but definately 5 thou smaller, unless you mean you swaged down a .308 to fit a .303 not something i would recomend
Ray

Last edited:

Ray7756

Nope 303 bullets are bigger diameter --- Go do your homework!

Ian
Homework done, I am correct that .303 is a smaller dia than .308 in measurement
but you are also correct that the 303 bullet is bigger than the 308 bullet but that is because the actual dia of the 303 is 7.7 mm or .311 thousands of an inch and the dia of the .308 is 308 thou
bit confusing aint it
Cheers
Ray

M275

If you think that's confusing then read further about:
8x57 (I, J, S, R in various combinations)
7.62x54R, Finnish 7.62x53R, 7.62x39 bullet diameters
Various bullet diameters actually used for 303 during production across 60 years and many countries

Once you know, then you know, but it's not obvious!

Klenchblaize

A number of SD members who've recently purchased bullets (heads if you must) via the classified section of this site and other than in sealed manufacturer boxes may wish to dig out a good set of scales and fully evaluate their purchase. May as well ensure bullet diameter is as per label too.

If they prove to be lighter than the indicated weight no harm is likely to be done. However, if they are 15 or so grains heavier and seated over a near maximum load for the imagined weight .....................

Be safe.

K
20190912_192256.jpg

Last edited:

riddick

I just spent most of the afternoon weighing every individual bullet recently purchased from the same source as above, fortunately they checked out fine, however a bag of 60 is not a bag of 100 as they were advertised. there should be some kind of test before you are allowed to join the human race unsupervised.

Klenchblaize

I just spent most of the afternoon weighing every individual bullet recently purchased from the same source as above, fortunately they checked out fine, however a bag of 60 is not a bag of 100 as they were advertised. there should be some kind of test before you are allowed to join the human race unsupervised.
Mine aren't even 100gr!

In fairness to the seller he's offered me a refund that I've yet to respond to.

One would also hope he understands why I posted this as it's not about beating him up over getting it wrong but rather to ensure all those who purchased his heads spend time checking them.

K

riddick

I speak as I find, I'm told I can be a bit harsh at times, adding a little humour often helps, not every time though.
as you say best check and not assume anyone else has.

I meant 60 as in number present in bag, just to be clear.