Rough shoot syndicate questions to ask

SimpleSimon

Hi all,
I have made enquiries about possibly joining a small rough shooting syndicate for the coming season and today I'll be calling the shoot captain to discuss.
Other than the obvious "how much?" what info should I be asking for?

danban

Bag sizes, how many days, how many guns, what species are available, how big is the land, what types of cover/woods/ditches etc

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Rowey

And just finding out who will be doing feeding, vermin control etc. Often it's just left. Needs proper organisation

Oh6

Reason for the vacancy and how stable the existing group of guns have been in recent years.

Pedro

Ideally you would have a little walk around if you don't know the land. I should think you are perhaps looking for a bit of variety in the topography. A hill or two would be good for higher pheasants. Some woodland rides for snap shooting, maybe a pond for the odd duck or two and so on. Many walked up shoots will specify you need a dog. Ask how many pheasants they put down. do they release poults into a pen/pens or is it ex-layers. It depends on a lot of variables, but the percentages shot of the total released over a season gives an indication of how well things are run.

Do you know any of the guns? See if they are happy. Bag sizes are important, but with a rough shoot, so long as you get some sport, the company is at least as important.

pitnie

Hi all,
I have made enquiries about possibly joining a small rough shooting syndicate for the coming season and today I'll be calling the shoot captain to discuss.
Other than the obvious "how much?" what info should I be asking for?
Putyourself in his shoes and think it's not about me it about what youcanoffer to the group you will be joining

timbrayford

Ask how many other guns there are in the shoot and whether they will be working their dogs. I was on a rough shoot once where myself and one other gun were the only ones who bothered to bring working spaniels. We spent most of the time acting like armed beaters and pickers up whilst the other guns waited for us to drive birds over them and retrieve what they had shot!

Cyres

Vermin control. what access out of season, who controls what, can you go out solo out of season, working parties. Pigeon/crow shooting, ? stalking/fox control.

I used to be a member of a superb rough shoot but it was eventually taken over by an extremly controlling individual who through the committee enforced the most unreasonable rules. I didn't rejoin after I left the area and I think other stalwarths resigned.

Get to meet some of the long established members and have a long chat, often unwritten rules and pally arrangements which favour the choosen few.

D

SimpleSimon

So, SimpleSimon, how did it go?
I managed to speak to the shoot captain today, I've also been messaging one of the existing member guns. Unfortunately the captain is about to go on holiday, but when he gets back we're going to meet up so I can have a look at the land. From what he and the member have said it sounds like the type of thing I'm looking for, but we'll see how it goes when I meet him.
Thanks for the suggestions here, food for thought and some points raised that I hadn't considered.