Rough shoot with a suprise

dan71

Went rough shooting tuesday and got more than we thought we would see. Went to the first spot and on arival we saw a fox to the left of where we were going. Half way we had a flush and got a couple of birds. Then a fox came out and was shot. At the end of this bit we had seen 3 fox. The rough was only 20 yards wide and 300 yards long. After another drive we ended up seeing another fox.
on this farm we had 5 birds and a fox.
In the afternoon we went to another farm. Saw 2 foxes and got both. Total for the day was 12 birds 1 woodcock and 3 foxes.

Claret_Dabbler

We did a lot of rough shooting here over 15-20 years, mainly woodcock snipe and duck on unkeepered ground. We shot a lot of foxes, just flushing cover with GSP's and spaniels. It was great crack. We would have had one or two most weeks.

Last edited:

dan71

Both bits of land are beside big shoots with keepers. And the first bit gets lamped several times a week. The foxes move about alot at this time of year.

Alistair

We had a plague of them on beaters day as well. Must have seen 5 for the day and they messed up a couple of drives. We didn't shoot any though, inexperienced young guns and ground game don't really mix. A spot of lamping will be in order after the season I expect.

dan71

We see six shot at 3 killed 3. The first farm had chickens taken. Maybe there is cubs about?

bewsher500

I remember as a kid walking up a silage field with my dad and one other chap
we put up six foxes within about 100yds all out on the open and in the same field

figured they were all sunbathing!