RS62 or N160 with Fox 6.5 - 123gr bullet

charlieboy-shooter

Hi,

I would be grateful for any advice on the powders and better understanding generally of appriopiate powder choice.

Just wondered if any one had tried RS62 or N160 with the Fox 6.5 - 123gr bullet in 6.5x55 ? Or are they just unsuitable ? Especially with a 20" barrel.?

As It would seem to me that some of the monothilics need to be driven faster than standard cup and core to achieve the desired terminal performance. This seems to be supported, when looking at the data and after calling Edinburgh rifles. As the listed preferred powders for the 6.5x55 would be double base powders, N550, N560 or RS60. So for a factory load I can see that ultimate top performing powder is benifical. Higher velocity, less drop and desired terminal performance at extended ranges ( subjective, I know).
However is it needed in the Swede out to 250yds ?
As, Referring back to the Lee manual. For a certain bullet there is a list of suggested powders and charge weights, generally listed with highest MV 1st and so on. So does that mean with the monolithic's the powder choice is less per calibre/bullet weight ?
Or is it still relatively early days with the masses paying more attention and we just haven't got there yet with all the appriopiate combinations.

Thanks

Last edited:
I use n160 for the fox 130 .270 ED done a data Qload for me and it was pin on . if you need to try some 160 I have some if you wish a small bag to test it .

Hi Paul,

if you need to try some 160 I have some if you wish a small bag to test it .
Thanks for the offer.
I have N160 and RS62 and a few other powders as well. Just no double bases or the ones suggested for the Swede or the other calibre’s I have which are suggested for the copper bullets.

Oh, did I mention I’m tight and don’t want to buy even more powders if I don’t have to.

I am Looking for RS62 local .
If I open it you can have some. It’s still sealed at the moment. So might trade it in if I can. Actually got to try with 140gr Gamekings.
Mays of London. At Buckhurst Hill is the closest. I have family which live nearer.
If I go there would you like me to pick some bits up ???

I Have one booked to collect now bud from Essex SS nr Colchester , he just Emailed me back but thank you for your kind offer .
I'v got a new pot of N160 ?

It depends on the range that you want to shoot at, under 100m RS62 give a good group at 2690, the next node is around 2850 which N150 works well. Sorry this is with a 24" barrel. Rather go for RS60 than true double based powders, gives the omph without high temperatures.

RS60 than true double based powders, gives the omph without high temperatures.
Good point. I’ve just realised you had already answered my questions a few weeks back in your pm. Sorry don’t know how I missed that.
Must be getting old and forgetful.
Thanks.

Back