Rspb

User00025

So a Hen Harrier plan by all interested parties is now rejected by the RSPB (they have pulled out). They are now looking for licensing of Game bird shooting. They change their stance on shooting like the prevailing winds change daily. Is this another of Packham's little departures from reality. Licensing is both impractical and unworkable and has been rejected once by the Government.
I would like the RSPB to be more involved with the shooting world, but while they are driven by fanatics there is no chance.

So a Hen Harrier plan by all interested parties is now rejected by the RSPB (they have pulled out). They are now looking for licensing of Game bird shooting. They change their stance on shooting like the prevailing winds change daily. Is this another of Packham's little departures from reality. Licensing is both impractical and unworkable and has been rejected once by the Government.
I would like the RSPB to be more involved with the shooting world, but while they are driven by fanatics there is no chance.

Sadly I don't think the RSPB and shooting can ever go hand in hand.

I`m sure the Republic of Scotland Government will take this on board,
Westminster probably not.

Used to be a RSPB member years ago but had to give it up.

:british:

I believe a charity has a banding , & you can see from banding what percentage of takings are used as salary etc & not actually make it as a donation .....
Anyone know how to find out this banding / classification ?

Paul

Sadly I don't think the RSPB and shooting can ever go hand in hand.

U'd be surprised it would not be that long ago that they would be working quite closely together, not sure who founded rspb but wwt who also are pushing the anti shooting/lead agenda where founded by a keen wildfowler and most of the big africain game reserves were founded by big game hunters

Packhams not behind anything he is purely the mouth piece and media face of Mark Avery, and he is all about hen harriers, in particular the lack of them on grouse moors.

Packhams not behind anything he is purely the mouth piece and media face of Mark Avery, and he is all about hen harriers, in particular the lack of them on grouse moors.

He is all about keeping his face seen to make a wage, the last thing these people want is harriers on grouse mors, it's thier cash cow, harriers on moors would mean an to any publicity he has since leaving the rspb.

Totally agree, they should be stripped of thier charitable status, top many politically motivated people on big wages now.

I agree, surely the basic principle of a charity is that they do charitable works, I don't quite see how becoming multi-millionaire landowners fits in with this.

But there's also no harriers on the rspb's moors either, (and they got rid of some nesting eagle owls too);)

They're was a figure at end of last year off the breeding success of HH in Eng last summer (try looking on Moorland Assoc or NGO sites for exact figures, sure someone had it on here a while back) but i think they're was something like 17 attempted nests, think 6 were succesful all on grouse moors, 7or 9 monitored by rspb all failed or deserted (monitoring too close?? but off course if a keeper accidentlally done that would be hung drawn and quartered or if it deserted a nest on a grouse moor in scotland vicarous laibility would be kicking in and taking away the keepers general licence if they even SUSECT a crime has taken place) and the rest failed or were predated on.

The simple fact is HH need grouse shooting to provide a safe nesting site and a healthy moor with plenty of food atrtacted to the well burnt heather

The whole HH thing is quite bizzare, HH have never been that common or widespread in eng and numbers are now at the highest they've been for hundreds of years, yet they share the moor with plenty of waders that are almost extinct from lowland areas where they were once common and numbers are down by 70-80%, plenty other song/garden/farmland birds also decliniing by 80+% but u never here rspb evem mention them

But this is not the RSPB, it is Mark Avery on a one man mission to stop driven grouse shooting due to the lack of hen harriers on grouse moors. Just look at his Facebook page, endless rants.

Aye i realise that MM, but he was the head 1 for a while with rspb.

But really just trying to highlight that HH are not thriving on nature resrvre moors either and infact seem to be doing far better on keepered ground than unkeepered.
If he gets his way the HH numbers will plummet even more, and so will wader numbers as be so much vermin kicking about

The man is a complete nutjob

I thought Packham was President of the RSPB ( or some similar title). Their "neutrality" about Shooting seems to have vanished since he got involved.

Well
Maybe it's because I'm just "more aware " than I was before but certainly I feel that the pace has upped on the movement by the antis to ban anything g shooting related .... Certainly likes of RSPB appear to have chosen their side ...
I believe no more than ever we need to make a stand & fight against this ....
Shooting stalking slowly being eroded bit by bit

Need to educate the public & fight our cause

Paul

Back