Rubbing alcohol - ebay scam!

FrenchieBoy

Following my post about making your own hand sanitiser using rubbing alcohol I feel that I need to give out a warning.
I ordered my rubbing alcohol through an e-bay seller but got a message this morning from e-bay saying that the item had been removed as the seller's account had been "compromised"! BEWARE of those sellers that are offering IPA 100% 5 LITRE Lab Grade Isopropyl Alcohol Isopropanol 99.9% RUBBING ALCOHOL @ around £9.00. If you check their feedback record as I have just done even though they have 100% positive feedback most of the feedback they have listed is from the same e-bay buyer.
The seller was trading under the name of wentinlg but beware there are several others doing exactly the same thing - They now stand out to me as they are all relatively new sellers and only have maybe a few dozen transactions each registered.!
I now have to wait for a refund from e-bay so please watch what you are doing and don't get yourself caught like I did!

FrenchieBoy

Update - I have just this minute received a message from e-bay saying that they have made a full refund to my account.
All's well that ends well, but you live and learn, and if you're anything like me sometimes the hard way!

levigsp

Methylated spirit, surgical spirit, IP alcohol all do the same thing. Go to any lab supplies and get all three, various farm supplies and builders merchants etc for two of them and if your still struggling, the nearest Polish shop[sklep] and buy 60 to 95% Polish rectified spiritus. Job done.

FrenchieBoy

Methylated spirit, surgical spirit, IP alcohol all do the same thing. Go to any lab supplies and get all three, various farm supplies and builders merchants etc for two of them and if your still struggling, the nearest Polish shop[sklep] and buy 60 to 95% Polish rectified spiritus. Job done.
Thanks for the tip! :thumb:
Surgical spirit seems to be in very short supply at almost all of the chemists local to me but I've just managed to locate and buy 4 x 200ml bottles of surgical spirit so now on to mixing some spare hand sanitiser.

kenbro

Following my post about making your own hand sanitiser using rubbing alcohol I feel that I need to give out a warning.
I ordered my rubbing alcohol through an e-bay seller but got a message this morning from e-bay saying that the item had been removed as the seller's account had been "compromised"! BEWARE of those sellers that are offering IPA 100% 5 LITRE Lab Grade Isopropyl Alcohol Isopropanol 99.9% RUBBING ALCOHOL @ around £9.00. If you check their feedback record as I have just done even though they have 100% positive feedback most of the feedback they have listed is from the same e-bay buyer.
The seller was trading under the name of wentinlg but beware there are several others doing exactly the same thing - They now stand out to me as they are all relatively new sellers and only have maybe a few dozen transactions each registered.!
I now have to wait for a refund from e-bay so please watch what you are doing and don't get yourself caught like I did!
Hi, I ordered (ebay) a 5 litre of Isopropyl which is due for delivery today or Thursday.
This morning when I checked ebay account it says ‘This seller is no longer registered with eBay’.
So, unlikely I will receive the order.
Ken.

FrenchieBoy

Hi, I ordered (ebay) a 5 litre of Isopropyl which is due for delivery today or Thursday.
This morning when I checked ebay account it says ‘This seller is no longer registered with eBay’.
So, unlikely I will receive the order.
Ken.
You should however get a full refund just as I did by opening a "dispute"!
Hope it works out OK for you. :tiphat:
p.s. I managed to get some surgical spirits which does the same job as the Isopropyl, might be worth a try if you want to make some sanitiser!

Odders

You should however get a full refund just as I did by opening a "dispute"!
Hope it works out OK for you. :tiphat:
p.s. I managed to get some surgical spirits which does the same job as the Isopropyl, might be worth a try if you want to make some sanitiser!
Surgical spirit in the UK is almost invariably isopropyl alcohol.

macfarlane

Rubbing alcohol,I buy it each winter to add to the windscreen washer bottle in my jeep,lucky I had two gallon lying about plus I vape now and again and had a gallon of vegetable glycerin for home making Vape oil,add the two together and voila hand sanitiser .

mealiejimmy

What ever you do, do not buy Benzyl alcohol as a replacement for isopropyl alcohol
Benzyl alcohol is still readily available, but it is dodgy stuff and being a skin irritant is one of its least nasty properties.

Cheers

Bruce