Ruger no 1

Wow , that's light . It would make for a great walking around /climbing mountains rifle ............. I'll buy it lol .

AB
That’s what we built it for ,it’s a delight to handle.. sorry she’s a keeper

Attachments

• 7E2FA63D-3DC6-4492-909F-DFE8AC9A37F6.jpeg
    7E2FA63D-3DC6-4492-909F-DFE8AC9A37F6.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 49
What average group size are you achieving with the 22 Hornet at 100 yards please?
My 22 Hornet is the #3 action with a 18” barrel , She likes Factory PPU 45g RN Ammo bang on a 1” 35g Vmax the same !

Attachments

• 25253564-D9A2-4EF0-B121-126E7316378C.jpeg
    25253564-D9A2-4EF0-B121-126E7316378C.jpeg
    422.5 KB · Views: 49
I hope to being taken her back to Montana later in the year

Attachments

• EBC73D3D-45D6-4D45-B6B0-6F61824C22EB.jpeg
    EBC73D3D-45D6-4D45-B6B0-6F61824C22EB.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I went stalking in Scotland with Andy Malcolm many years ago and he showed me an English made falling block that was his fathers and his father had taken his first red with it needed a new barrel but was a lovely rifle in .303.
Would that have been a Farquarson? Spelling? Alway thought his design was inspiration for Bill’s #1.
Ken.

Would that have been a Farquarson? Spelling? Alway thought his design was inspiration for Bill’s #1.
Ken.
No I don’t think that was it I’ll take a stab at westley richards but could be way off it was a long time ago it might have been a martini and I think it had an octagonal barrel.

Last edited:
No I don’t think that was it I’ll take a stab at westley richards but could be way off it was a long time ago it might have been a martini and I think it had an octagonal barrel.
Martini is not strictly a falling block, more a pivoting type of thingy, but it does fall away.
Ken.

The B78's are all the same action , externally , they look like a High Wall . I've had one in 45/70 and another in 7mmRM , really nice rifles . I've never owned an 85 Low Wall like yours , and you're right , you should have kept it . I've handled a few , very nice and reasonably light rifles . How did yours shoot ?

AB

I was so very close to purchasing a 78 when they first came out from what was then Gentrys of Welling but I held-off in the hope they could import a Wickliffe Stinger single shot but it never happened. Oh how I wish it had been one or other and ideally the latter:
wickliffe rifle custom 002.jpg
K

I was so very close to purchasing a 78 when they first came out from what was then Gentrys of Welling but I held-off in the hope they could import a Wickliffe Stinger single shot but it never happened. Oh how I wish it had been one or other and ideally the latter:
View attachment 149480
K

That's one of the nicest Wickliffes I've seen . As I mentioned above , I had a 76 in 45/70 . I stupidly sold it . It was a very plain version , but was an extremely well made and accurate rifle . They're hard to find now and very expensive .
I did like my B78's , but I wasn't to impressed with the trigger assembly . It was overly complicated , compared to an original High Wall , and had some glitches . If you adjusted the trigger below about 3 to 3 1/2 pounds , you'd lose the half cock feature . I don't use a half cock as a safety , but it just bothered me . It wasn't a major issue to be honest , I'm just a bit of a trigger snob . The one thing I did like on the 78's was the adjustable brass deflector / stop . You could direct ejected brass to the left or right , or if in the middle position , it would keep the brass in the loading trough on top of the breach block , a nice feature when shooting at the range . In all honesty , the above rifles are built to a better standard than the No 1's IMHO .

AB

That's one of the nicest Wickliffes I've seen . As I mentioned above , I had a 76 in 45/70 . I stupidly sold it . It was a very plain version , but was an extremely well made and accurate rifle . They're hard to find now and very expensive .
I did like my B78's , but I wasn't to impressed with the trigger assembly . It was overly complicated , compared to an original High Wall , and had some glitches . If you adjusted the trigger below about 3 to 3 1/2 pounds , you'd lose the half cock feature . I don't use a half cock as a safety , but it just bothered me . It wasn't a major issue to be honest , I'm just a bit of a trigger snob . The one thing I did like on the 78's was the adjustable brass deflector / stop . You could direct ejected brass to the left or right , or if in the middle position , it would keep the brass in the loading trough on top of the breach block , a nice feature when shooting at the range . In all honesty , the above rifles are built to a better standard than the No 1's IMHO .

AB
It's just a pity it has a less than complementory steel bodied scope and a Ruger-like rib and rings!

K

I had a similiar rifle and scope set up to GOMX' No3 in 22 Hornet . Mine was chambered in 223 though , a nice little walking around Coyote rifle .

AB

For some reason the pic didn't show up on this post , probably operator error .

I had a similiar rifle and scope set up to GOMX' No3 in 22 Hornet . Mine was chambered in 223 though , a nice little walking around Coyote rifle .

AB

For some reason the pic didn't show up on this post , probably operator error .
#3 are very hard to find over here , they do come up now & then mostly in 22 Hornet, Ive always wanted #3 in 30-40 Krag

#3 are very hard to find over here , they do come up now & then mostly in 22 Hornet, Ive always wanted #3 in 30-40 Krag
No3's are common here , one in 30/40 is Unicorn poo . I had one in 375 Winchester , I sold it to a buddy who's a single shot freak ( he has a No3 in 30/40 that's getting buried with him ) under the condition that if he sells it , it comes back to me .......... I'm not holding my breath on that one .
The vast majority of No3's here are chambered in 45/70 . Nice rifles to shoot if you stick to Black Powder velocities , brutal with heavier loads , I found that out the hard way . I restocked my last 45/70 with No 1 wood , it made it a lot more civilized to shoot . I did have to modify the under lever to do it though , it worked out quite well .

AB

I have a ruger #1 in 308 and a #3 in 223, both good shooters, the #3 is more consistent than the #1. but both put 3 shots in a group under 1" at 100 metres.
I'd been toying with having the #3 re-barreled to 6.5 swede but a heart attack put paid to that.
I can't fathom out how to insert images so no pix

Back