Ruger No1 .243

cervus

Cheap No1 on Guntrader ,Stutzen in .243 @ £295....if it is not shot out that,s a bargain !Serial No. gives it a 30year age .......1986

Last edited:

Shootist

If it is shot out it's still a pretty good price. It could be rebarrelled to .308. Even better.

The tramp

Its a ruger #1, it can be Rebarreled in anything from 17 hornet to 416rigby and beyond...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

smokey

just remember they as rule require i simple modification to the forend bracket to make them as accurate as modern guns if run of the mill accuracy is ok it should be ok as it is the modification is not difficult old editions of the American magazine rifle shooter have all the details,It may be on the internet now

The tramp

i was looking at that is it a simple process to have it rebarrelled?
A little more work than a bolt action gun with no open sights.

Chamber end needs some milling to allow for the extractor, and the sight rail needs fitting, but nothing a competent riflesmith can't do.

JTO

So, if you buy it with a .243 slot on your ticket, do you have to surrender it to the riflesmith and then apply for a variation if you want another calibre, or can someone ask the riflesmith to buy it on their RFD ticket and then fill a slot that you already have for a different calibre when it has been rebarreled?

JMH123

Is the No1 really so different to the Ruger Stutzen? I can hardly imagine it can be noticeably lighter, handier, shorter or more pointable- and it doesn't have the advantage of a magazine.

Greener Jim

You'll have t find a gunsmith will to do it but it's just a rebarrel so not a hard job.
That been said I would say stick to the same rim/base diameter so that the extractor doesn't need modifying and you'll have to realistically stick to the same profile barrel as what it came with due to the forearm hanger arrangement.
Both can be changed but finding a gunsmith willing to do it in the UK may be tricky.

As for acquiring it, you buy it and have it sent to your riflesmith and then they rebarrel to what's on your ticket. You then receive the rifle in that chambering.

victory01

i was looking at the one that the sportsman gun centre was selling, but its in a weird calibre of which i know nothing.

I will do some research into a riflesmith

victory01

That's it, weird was not the right term. It's a caliber I had never heard of before I started looking at a no1

Conure

If I remember right the Ruger No1 was even offered in 303 British and 450 Nitro Express. Do not remember where I saw it now but a chap in Australia had one in 450 NE and used it for Buffalo down under. The cartridges the No1 was was offered for is quite impressive. Have fired two over the years both being the No1B version. One in 243 Win and the other in 300 Win Mag. The 300 was a bit of a handful with 200 grain factory ammunition as I recall especially prone but it grouped well the .243 was a bit fussy "John" the owner claimed and liked lighter bullets it refused to group any 100 grain ones her tried in anything like an acceptable group. When I got to try it out he had some ammunition with bullets of around the 80 grain weight I think it was and it grouped those very well. The large variable scope he had on it sort of looked out of place though I thought. The 300 Win Mag one had a small varible fitted possibly a Leupold?? But as I sad it was a long time ago now and must have been in the early 1990's.

cervus

Got a No 1 in 45/70 Gov...awesome rifle ,and it is in stainless laminate...quite rare apparently,love it!

Bavarianbrit

just remember they as rule require i simple modification to the forend bracket to make them as accurate as modern guns if run of the mill accuracy is ok it should be ok as it is the modification is not difficult old editions of the American magazine rifle shooter have all the details,It may be on the internet now
I have all that info on a word doc. found it after I picked up a .243 no 1 in Reno a few years ago at a good price, they are surprisingly heavy though but seems very well made.

Southern

If I remember right the Ruger No1 was even offered in 303 British and 450 Nitro Express. Do not remember where I saw it now but a chap in Australia had one in 450 NE and used it for Buffalo down under. The cartridges the No1 was was offered for is quite impressive. Have fired two over the years both being the No1B version. One in 243 Win and the other in 300 Win Mag. The 300 was a bit of a handful with 200 grain factory ammunition as I recall especially prone but it grouped well the .243 was a bit fussy "John" the owner claimed and liked lighter bullets it refused to group any 100 grain ones her tried in anything like an acceptable group. When I got to try it out he had some ammunition with bullets of around the 80 grain weight I think it was and it grouped those very well. The large variable scope he had on it sort of looked out of place though I thought. The 300 Win Mag one had a small varible fitted possibly a Leupold?? But as I sad it was a long time ago now and must have been in the early 1990's.
The .243 usually carries a 7.7:1 rate of twist.

Current offerings are No. 1A in 7mm-08 and .275 Rigby, 1S in .30-06, and .450/400 in 1S. Some .303 Enfields were made a few years ago, but none got withing reach of me.

The tramp

The .243 usually carries a 7.7:1 rate of twist.

Current offerings are No. 1A in 7mm-08 and .275 Rigby, 1S in .30-06, and .450/400 in 1S. Some .303 Enfields were made a few years ago, but none got withing reach of me.
Mine shoots 100gr fine, having a 1 in 7.7" twist will explain that. I always wondered what it was.
Thank you Southern.

iain b

So, if you buy it with a .243 slot on your ticket, do you have to surrender it to the riflesmith and then apply for a variation if you want another calibre, or can someone ask the riflesmith to buy it on their RFD ticket and then fill a slot that you already have for a different calibre when it has been rebarreled?
Have it sent to your smith by the seller. Then Bobs your uncle:D