Ruger No1 eye relief problem sorted with Conetrol

teyhan1

Some of you may remember some of my posts relating to a Ruger No1 that I bought a while ago.
For those of you that don't, they are absolute buggers to get the correct eye relief on.
Well after a little bit of money having been wasted I finally got lucky and found a kindly gentleman in the USA who was selling a brand new Conetrol set of mounts and rings for a Ruger No1 and was willing to sell them to me for £85-00 delivered.
Well I took the chance and they arrived today. And look how fantastic they actually are.
Not only have these mounts managed to move the scope back a significant amount but they have moved the scope as close to the barrel as is possible.
I have made up a preliminary batch of rounds and will zero in the next few days.
The next questions is should I fit a mod? Will it ruin the look of the rifle? and if I do fit one who makes the smallest and lightest mod out there?

Last edited:

Eric the Red

Nice G - and they came really quickly. Since you've got your cheekpiece on, you may as well go for the mod as well - if lots of money then Lawrence, if not ATEC CMM or Maxim - what calibre is this again?

Klenchblaize

Some of you may remember some of my posts relating to a Ruger No1 that I bought a while ago.
For those of you that don't, they are absolute buggers to get the correct eye relief on.
Well after a little bit of money having been wasted I finally got lucky and found a kindly gentleman in the USA who was selling a brand new Conetrol set of mounts and rings for a Ruger No1 and was willing to sell them to me for £85-00 delivered.
Well I took the chance and they arrived today. And look how fantastic they actually are.
Not only have these mounts managed to move the scope back a significant amount but they have moved the scope as close to the barrel as is possible.
I have made up a preliminary batch of rounds and will zero in the next few days.
The next questions is should I fit a mod? Will it ruin the look of the rifle? and if I do fit one who makes the smallest and lightest mod out there?

Praise be to the Lord and the man from Texas!

K

Moray Outfitting

Conetrol are a nice product and nice to see them still about.

BUT - you've not fitted a 30mm tube 56mm plus objective scope in the range 15-35x with 343 stage illumination, ballistic ranging turrets and a cammo paint job..... not using it for deer stalking then? :D

​You just have to love the smooth lines of those rings.

Brithunter

IMHO fitting a moderator will ruin the balance of your rifle not to mention what it will do for the looks.

Klenchblaize

Ps: This is a good example of how important it can be to give as much thought to a scope’s dimensional properties as image quality if wishing to achieve ideal eye relief.

teyhan1

IMHO fitting a moderator will ruin the balance of your rifle not to mention what it will do for the looks.

Yes I know, but after having used a mod for so long, it seems bloody loud.
Does nobody produce a really small mod that could dim it just a bit? I'm not looking for a full blown mod just something to help with a small reduction.

I also apologise profusely for not fitting the latest Rangefindingsupermegawoppercanseeafliesdickat1000yds scope. The main reason being that the scope would be far too long having fitted all that writing onto it. Might help sorting eye relief though

Klenchblaize

I also apologise profusely for not fitting the latest Rangefindingsupermegawoppercanseeafliesdickat1000yds scope. The main reason being that the scope would be far too long having fitted all that writing onto it. Might help sorting eye relief though

If that’s a reference to my comment re choice of scope its been very misread! I was in fact alluding to long-tube scopes of sensible magnification and objective diameter that might now be considered “vintage”.

K

$(KGrHqN,!rMFJDO48sfGBS(LfMcIUw~~60_57.JPG

Last edited:

Brithunter

Yes I know, but after having used a mod for so long, it seems bloody loud.
Does nobody produce a really small mod that could dim it just a bit? I'm not looking for a full blown mod just something to help with a small reduction.

That's what ear defenders are for ;) .

As for scopes well the newer types all seem to have gone for short tubes. probably following the short action fad :rolleyes: . It's not only on the Ruger No1 that eye relief becomes a problem with these modern short body tubed scopes. yet again it just shows that new is not always better.

teyhan1

If that’s a reference to my comment re choice of scope its been very misread! I was in fact alluding to long-tube scopes of sensible magnification and objective diameter that might now be considered “vintage”.

K

$(KGrHqN,!rMFJDO48sfGBS(LfMcIUw~~60_57.JPG

I did try having a look for a longer tubed scope but was coming up with nothing of any use.
I guess that is an early Burris Fulfield

Klenchblaize

Yep. If you get beyond the current fetish for 30mm scopes the choice widens.

Granted image quality isn't in the same league on what are mostly US scopes compared to Austrian but life is full of compromise.

On my Ruger No1 Varmint in 220 Swift I have a set of Conetrol mounts with offset apertures for the ring spud so there's another .5" straight away.

Some of the early Zeiss and Swaro have usefully proportioned tubes too I believe.

Cheers

K

cervus

Teyhan I have a No1 in 7x57,during my research it became obvious that any near contact with the tube may cause inaccuracies due a shift in barrel harmonics affecting the forend screw,these rifles are known for it..although it isn,t touching it is veryclose and may contact during the shot sequence,I use a Leupold 2-7x33 VXR..BRILLIANT! Just trying to help as I have a Stutzen International and have been round the block trying a few combis,ATB,Tony

Brithunter

When I bought the Ruger No1B that I used to own it was fitted with a Leupold Vari X111 of 2.8-8 size and it fitted the 300 Win Mag perfectly for eye relief. In fact I had the choice of two rifles and I wonder if I should really have bought the near new Parker-Hale M81 Classic in 7mm Rem Mag but that didn't have a scope and the Ruger was priced at £18 more than the Leupold scope cost new.

The Ruger is gone but I still have the scope. I also never found this fore stock problems with my Ruger that we read/hear about so often.