Running when shot

bobt

I came back from Scotland (goose shooting) last week, while there I got into a disagreement with one of the other lads, he says that EVERYTIME he shoots roe with his 243 they run a few yards, sometimes 100 yds.
I repied that he isnt hitting them in the correct place, :lol:
as all the roe I have had this year with the 7mm08 have dropped on the spot,

I know he has missed a few from the stalker/guide but can it just be the 243 with 105 g bullets compared to my 7mm08 with 150g?

even when I shot one buck then another so its adrenaline was up it still dropped on the spot.

Beowulf

I've shot a Roe Buck and a Muntjac Doe with my new 243, 100grains. Both fell instantly. I have also shot two foxes with the same rifle and ammo that required a follow up shot! Its knocked my confidence in the 243, but yet again as I mentioned, no problem on the deer.
Very strange! :???:
All I can think of is that being closer to the ground the foxes are in long grass and this may have deflected the bullet somewhat. Doesn't answer your question though!

paul k

I've been using a .243 with 100grn loads for roe and muntjac for years and to date I have never had a deer go more than five yards after a shot in the boiler house.

smithp18

A month ago a shot a Munjac Buck at 60 yards, top of the heart lung shot with my .243 using 100g Federal vital-shok, serra gameking BTSP.
The Buck kicked out and went 30 yards from the ride in to cover.
I have had Roe do the same with exactly the same combination when shot in the boiler house but to be honest nearly all have dropped on the spot.

MarkH

Here are two words that make me worry

NEVER and ALWAYS

Mostly the beast I shoot drop within a few yards, some run up to 50 other drop on the spot like this morning.

Mark

splash

I have shot 5 deer fallow/muntjack with my .308 all heart lung shots. 155 grn SST's all ran atleast 30 m one 100m.

last week shot my first deer with .260 muntie doe heart/lung dropped to shot.

So don't call you friend a bad shot the .308 is a tactical rifle that i can shoot sub moa all day long.

Just glad my deer ran from the start and are not the otherway around or i would have lost faith in my rifle.

wadashot

Account Suspended
I have probably shot around 300 deer, all species except sika and have never had a deer run more than 30 yards, even when contracting for the FC and shooting deer at night, the vast majority dropped to the shot. Even when they were bang in the engine room there was only the mandatory kick out with the legs, run for a few yards and drop.

I have to say that in my experience some peoples idea of range leaves a lot to be desired, for example i have met people who say they have shot rabbits out to 250 yards and sworn by it, but when it actually come to it they have only been shooting out to 70 yards. Ok rabbits are not deer, but i am sure exagerated shooting, or shot deer running is quite common place.

I also think that some people tend to say that they shot a deer or rabbit at X (YARDS) when they actually (PACED) it out, these are two entirely different ranges.

wadashot.

EMcC

I have used Hndy 87gnHptBt in my .243 and shot hundreds of Roe over the years.
If the animal is not aware of my presence it has invariably dropped to shot, apart from the involuntary leg kicking which may take it a pace or two at most.
Shooting of a second animal in succession always runs, not hundreds of yards but at least ten or fifteen even if the heart is shot out.
I have proved this many times when taking people out because they always want to have a good look at the animal before it is shot and of course while this is happening the animal is looking at us and getting the adrenalin up ready for flight.
On the odd occasion I have shot one and the person with me has remarked ' what happened there, you missed' but before they have finished the sentence it has dropped and on opening have shown them the heart - or what is left of it and they have been amazed.

Thar

Shoot enough deer with any calibre and you will get the odd runner, most just get inside the tree line then drop inside about 10 meters.

Last year I got fed up with my 243 dropping roe does on the spot, I thought what the **** have trained this dog for. :evil: then sure enough I got a few runners.

All the best

B-b

john.d.m

Theres another very important thing to be taken into consideration here, Adrenelin.
If the animal has the adrenelin up, it will run, maybe 1 yrd or 100 hundred, if, you haven`t been seen,heard,smelt and the animal doesn`t know your there, there is a reasonable chance it will drop to the shot.
One example of this sticks in my mind, one morning in Africa a few years ago, we came across a Wildebeest stood asleep under a bush approx 150 yrds away, he would probably died of old age if we weren`t there.
There was no way to get closer, so I hit him with 30-06 shoulder shot and he fell over, he never even knew what had happened.
Later the same day, we came across a herd of Wilderbeest, the kept getting a whiff of us and moving on, took us an hour to get a shot @ a cull animal (broken horn so was TRUE cull animal),I hit him same place as the one in the morning,with 30-06, but was only 60 yrds away, he took off I got 2 more shots into him as he ran, and he finally came to rest 300 yrds from where I shot him first.
In my humble opinion the herd knew we where there, we`d spooked them, so the adrenelin was up so he was running on adrenelin.
Just my opinion got from incidences on the same day, with same rifle/ammo and the same animal.

EMcC

"I have proved this many times when taking people out because they always want to have a good look at the animal before it is shot and of course while this is happening the animal is looking at us and getting the adrenalin up ready for flight."

Hi John,
That was the point I tried to make giving the above example.
It is similar, (not the same) as when a free diver takes several deep breaths prior to making a dive, to get extra oxygen in the blood to allow for the extra time spent under water where a normal shallow breathing person would have drowned.

MR FISH

I bought an old musgrave .243 for £180 six years ago as my starter rifle, i keep thinking about upgrading but since buying it i've never had any trouble (touch wood!!) and have dropped red stags stone dead with it at quite a distance with 100g remingtons - I have to echo 300wsm comments, its all about where you put the bullet!

Heym SR20

I have also come to the conclusion its adrenalin, but also old age and poor condition - I did ask the same question a few weeks back - I use a .243 and was concerned that some beasts run, whereas other drop to the spot. I have been debating about getting a bigger calibre and was looking originally to get a 7mm 10 years ago, but I am left handed and left handed rifles are like hens teeth - I found a very good left handed Heym SR20 in .243 that shoots very accurately with RWS 100gn soft point.

All beasts that I have had run have been in pretty poor condition and old.

I have shot plenty of hinds with the .243 - most either fallen straight over, or staggered a couple of steps and then fallen over. And with Roe Bucks again of the four I have shot this year - 2 fell over at the spot, one kicked and ran ten yards, and the last one which was spooked cleared a barbed wire fence and ran inot the wood for 30 yards, despite being shot through the heart / lunds and offside shoulder.

Friends also use .243s and have had equal results. I do like the .243 - no recoil, accurate and even without a silencer is pretty quiet - certainly not as noisy as say the .270 etc.

Re reading Craig Boddingtons Safari Rifles - he recounts a tale of shooting a Sable antelope twice with a .338 magnum - still ran despite both shots crisscrossing the heart.

swampy

Account Suspended
observations

I use .243win 7mm08 and .30-06 Sprg. I have found that roe will run when hit through the heart with .243. When they are hit with the 150 gr .30-06 bullets they go straight down. I have bought the 7mm08 and use 130gr as an inbetween and it is a better rifle (not calibre) for stalking than the .30-06.

IN MY OPINION the .243 is marginal and even with perfect placement you can get runners.

dead is dead.

swampy

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Interesting comments on this thread. All of them are valid points, from some very experianced people.

I also very much agree with one comment, in that Muntjac are tough little deer, and should not be under estimated. That is why I personally do not agree with the change in the law regarding calibres. Also it is easier to miss smaller deer than larger ones, I know that sounds a bit daft, but believe me I have had many clients miss Chinese Water deer and Muntjac, especially if it is a big trophy, the trick is not to tell them, although most clients know.

Everyone has a miss now and again, nothing wrong in that at all, and it brings you back down to earth, and shows that no matter how good we are on the range, sometimes its not to be. And it is always better to miss a deer, than wound one, and loose it. That is the most important thing to remember.

Beowulf

Take two of the large purple pills four times a day, washed down with two bottles of Glenfidich and see me in the morning if you can stand!

Poor old Captain! You shouldn't have said anything, no one else noticed!! :lol:

Don't worry mate I intended to go stalking this morning, forgot to take my rifle and ended up in B&Q. I think the wife is brain washing me in my sleep, she wants the bedroom decorated!!! :???: