Rut season what to do !

New Avon Arms

Superdrazy

On my 17 acres grounds I have spotted a big sika stag surrounded by hinds.
I have yet to shoot my first stag and I'm very tempted to cull this one, but I eat all I shoot so=
How much longer should I wait until the meat goes back to it's normal taste ? (You know what I mean)
Could the stag go far away if I'd to wait a few more days and miss the opportunity?

And how do you go about keeping the deer coming in in such small area (grounds are surrounded by miles of trees and fields and so far there always has been deer coming in)
What would be a good "cull plan" for this? I only shoot for the table occasionally.

Thank you for the help.

miffy

Here today gone tomorrow, do it
As for keeping them, keep the pressure off. Choose young animals for the table, put up a camera you'll learn a lot from it. Do a little bit of pruning keep plenty new growth coming..

Superdrazy

Here today gone tomorrow, do it
As for keeping them, keep the pressure off. Choose young animals for the table, put up a camera you'll learn a lot from it. Do a little bit of pruning keep plenty new growth coming..
When you say to keep the pressure off, do you mean to not shoot too many or laterally shoot the younger ones only ?

sir-lamp-alot

When you say to keep the pressure off, do you mean to not shoot too many or laterally shoot the younger ones only ?
Dont shoot to many, dont keep hammering the big stags and dont keep upsetting them by being there everytime they are even if your not going to shoot them as they dont know that. If it were me i would actually be more inclinded to knock off the sattalite stags and leave the big boy (unless hes going back) to hold the stand and hinds and in turn keep the younger animals coming in ok a spiker stag isnt going to get you any bragging points down the pub but its not about that.

Last edited:
Leica Amplus 6