S&B 10x42 Classic

Stoney Creek - Purpose Built Shooting Clothing

Tedward

S&B 10x42 Classic (image added)

Hi All,
I've just bought the above second hand, but can't find an example of the reticle on-line. I know a picture's worth a thousand words, but until I get my camera back this will have to do:

it looks like a modified fine Duplex A8, with an extra stadia line sited equidistant from the cross hair to the thicker one (on the upper axis above the cross hair), and a smaller stadia sited just above the junction of the thick/thin (on the lower axis).

The cross hairs themselves are surrounded by a thicker box stadia.

Hope that makes some sort of sense!
Have e-mailed S&B, but just wondering if anyone was familiar with this reticle, and more importantly the function of the two auxilliary stadia lines (can't really see them being aiming marks or size estimation/ranging marks)?
many thanks, Tedward.

Last edited:

supersport

sounds like a sniper type reticle.
Hi All,
I've just bought the above second hand, but can't find an example of the reticle on-line. I know a picture's worth a thousand words, but until I get my camera back this will have to do:

it looks like a modified fine Duplex A8, with an extra stadia line sited equidistant from the cross hair to the thicker one (on the upper axis above the cross hair), and a smaller stadia sited just above the junction of the thick/thin (on the lower axis).

The cross hairs themselves are surrounded by a thicker box stadia.

Hope that makes some sort of sense!
Have e-mailed S&B, but just wondering if anyone was familiar with this reticle, and more importantly the function of the two auxilliary stadia lines (can't really see them being aiming marks or size estimation/ranging marks)?
many thanks, Tedward.

Tedward

Had a reply back from S&B:

Thank you for your e-mail.
It is a special reticle which is called BDMP, Type B.

all I need to do now is translate the attachment and I'll know what the two stadia are for !
cheers, Tedward.

Tedward

Latest communication from S&B:

The upper line (hash mark) is for shooting at 100 m and the lower line (hash mark) is for shooting
at 500 – 700 m.
The crosshairs within the quadrangle is being used at 300 m.

My assumption is that this is a police/military type reticle, and presumably relates to 7.62mm, the scope dates from 2001.
cheers, Tedward.

8x57

Distinguished Member
It is a military/police type sniping reticle. Sorry but my grasp of German is no more than a few words and all of them shooting related but that is what BDMP stands for Bund der Militär- und Polize.

Last edited:

User00003

I would say it's an 'interesting' scope, I too would be curious what you paid.

I have to say, that thick box around the cross hairs would annoy the shjite out of me!

I assume if you zero the centre crosshairs at 100 for stalking, the top hash would be sitting at around 25yd zero?

question, does the thick box cover the deer or most of the deer?

I suppose another option is to use it like it was intended, and use the top hash mark for 100yds and the box for 300yd shots, but with no adjustment facilty for windage, it would have to be manually adjusted of course,,,or does your scope have target turrets?

8x57

Distinguished Member
The thick box if my understanding is correct was intended as a point blank aiming mark for human targets out to 300 metres and was not really intended for sporting use such as deer stalking.

scoie

this scope was advertised on the airgunbbs , i was interested but a bit too slow replying, iirc it was about £250 , a very good price imo

Tedward

Bought it from another shooting forum (PigeonWatch),
cosmetically challenged but not abused, would be my description of the external appearance, but the lenses are pristine.
It will be going on a fast twist .223 for long range vermin control and some range work.
I'll try it with the top cross hair zeroed at 100yds, and see what the boxed cross hair gives me with this round. But in all probability, I'll end up zeroing the central cross hair at 100yds.
It'll be fun finding out which is the more practical,
cheers, Tedward.

scoie

Hi tedward

be interesting to see how you get on with it , as you say no real bother if the body is marked as long as the glass is good
happy shooting

Tedward

I agree scoie,
function is paramount - cosmetics are an additional factor but not essential at my price point!
I'm really pleased with the fine cross hair, looks like a keeper - probably be getting rid of my "Big Schmidt" (8x56) soon,
will let you know how it pans out,
cheers, Tedward.

PSE Composites Limited