S&B PMII or Swarovski Z6i BT

270Buck

I am in the market for a new or possibly even second hand scope, that has ballistic turrets.

I ideally want something with a low to highish mag range, like 3-20 or 3-18.

I ideally want something as light as possible too.

I would like an opinion on these 2 scopes as they seem to fit the bill. Also open to suggestions of other similar scopes that may fit the criteria.

S&B 3-20x50 PM II/LP/MTC/LT 3-20x50 PM II/LP/MTC/LT

and

Swarovski Z6i G2 3-18x50 P BT
Swarovski Z6i G2 3-18x50 P BT 2nd Gen Illuminated Rifle Scope

Z6 Rifle scopes SWAROVSKI OPTIK (I am sure the photo on the Swarovski site is incorrect as it does not show the scope with the ballistic turrets???)

The S&B weighs 920g whereas the Swaro weighs only 595g.

I wonder what everyone else's opinions maybe of these scopes???

Cheers

jimbo1984

I've owned both s&b and swaro scopes not these exact models but I can say the extra weight in the Schmidt is worth it the are absolutely bombproof !!

2130martin

I have owned both of those models,not at the same time,I part ex'd the PMII for the Swaro.........both are top quality but I never got to do the range work that i had planned and only Stalk so the Swaro suited me better for that.......smaller,tidier,lighter.....otherwise same quality of glass etc....If I was going to do range work I would have kept the PMII...

270Buck

I have owned both of those models,not at the same time,I part ex'd the PMII for the Swaro.........both are top quality but I never got to do the range work that i had planned and only Stalk so the Swaro suited me better for that.......smaller,tidier,lighter.....otherwise same quality of glass etc....If I was going to do range work I would have kept the PMII...

Hi Martin,

Mine would be for almost exclusively hunting IE stalking and foxing.

I have a lightweight rifle and moderator and the lighter the scope the better IMO.

I was wondering if the PMII had some massive advantages that the extra weight deemed worth it?

Cheers

270Buck

I've owned both s&b and swaro scopes not these exact models but I can say the extra weight in the Schmidt is worth it the are absolutely bombproof !!

I have a S&B 8x56, I fell over carrying my rifle and landed very heavily on the scope onto a hard object!!! :doh:

It took some of the paint off, but it did not dent the scope. Checked zero and it had not moved at all whatsoever!!! So I too can vouch for the build quality of the S&B scopes. But as just posted in response to Martin's post, a lightweight option may be better suited? Unless the PMII has other features and benefits that means the extra weight is worth it?

Cheers

Wingy

Can't comment on the S&B but I have a Z6i 2.5-15 x 56 BT (gen1) it's on my .243 varmint I've shot foxes out to 250 yds and targets to 400 yds. Everyone who looks through it is in awe of its clarity. I've got no intention to change it & when I can afford I'll be getting one for the .308
Wingy

270Buck

Can't comment on the S&B but I have a Z6i 2.5-15 x 56 BT (gen1) it's on my .243 varmint I've shot foxes out to 250 yds and targets to 400 yds. Everyone who looks through it is in awe of its clarity. I've got no intention to change it & when I can afford I'll be getting one for the .308
Wingy

Cheers for the feedback Wingy

Axe

I have owned both, had a PM2 and it was WAY too fiddly, far too much adjustment for stalking. Would be the perfect choice for a range scope but for hunting its the Z6 hands down all day long IMO. I sold my PM2 after some missed opportunities - I was buggering around with the micro adjustment the parallax allows then the deer where off. All the adjustment is great if you have a know target distance such as at the range, but when you are stalking you have to make the judgment on distance in your head. Z6i has good parallax adjustment just not so fine, perfect for in the field.
IMO I get much more last minute light from my Zeiss, although I love the quality and feel of my Swaro.

270Buck

I have owned both, had a PM2 and it was WAY too fiddly, far too much adjustment for stalking. Would be the perfect choice for a range scope but for hunting its the Z6 hands down all day long IMO. I sold my PM2 after some missed opportunities - I was buggering around with the micro adjustment the parallax allows then the deer where off. All the adjustment is great if you have a know target distance such as at the range, but when you are stalking you have to make the judgment on distance in your head. Z6i has good parallax adjustment just not so fine, perfect for in the field.
IMO I get much more last minute light from my Zeiss, although I love the quality and feel of my Swaro.

Hi Axe,

That is exactly the kind of info that I wanted. Cheers mate. :thumb:

Sounds like the Swaro is the best option for me.

I hadn't even considered the Zeiss option!! What would you say is the nearest equivalent in the Zeiss range that may also be worth considering then?

Cheers

I. Farticus

I've got a Gen 1 Z6i 3-18x50 with BR reticule.

Once you've been to the range, it's bl**dy easy to use the blobs and lines on the reticule. Make use of the Swarovski Ballistic Calculator as well -use online or download locally - and use the stickers that come in the box to log all this, then sellotape to your stock.

SWAROVSKI OPTIK - Ballistic Programs 1.27

Coupled with my Swaro EL-R binos it's hard to think what else I'll ever need... I'd have another in a heartbeat, and I'm a picky s*d!

Axe

i have a zeiss Diavari Victory FL, it doesn't have the option for ballistic turrets like you initially mentioned. But its a real cracker if you want something to compare with the Z6i.
The only negative things I would say I find with the z6i is that the illumination is sometimes a little too much at night, and during the day you can see the grey dot in the glass where the illumination is - fine when you are used to it, but the Zeiss has a better cleaner crisper reticle.
The Zeiss IMO doesn't really look and feel as good quality - the finish on the z6i is better.
They are both good scopes and i use them both a lot and have no plans to get rid of either.

270Buck

I've got a Gen 1 Z6i 3-18x50 with BR reticule.

Once you've been to the range, it's bl**dy easy to use the blobs and lines on the reticule. Make use of the Swarovski Ballistic Calculator as well -use online or download locally - and use the stickers that come in the box to log all this, then sellotape to your stock.

SWAROVSKI OPTIK - Ballistic Programs 1.27

Coupled with my Swaro EL-R binos it's hard to think what else I'll ever need... I'd have another in a heartbeat, and I'm a picky s*d!

Cheers I.F

Just downloaded the program and had a quick play, I use factory loads and it even had my choice on there.

Looks like it will be the Swaro then!!! Just dont tell the Mrs how much they cost!!!!!!!! ;);););););)

I. Farticus

Cheers I.F

Just downloaded the program and had a quick play, I use factory loads and it even had my choice on there.

Looks like it will be the Swaro then!!! Just dont tell the Mrs how much they cost!!!!!!!! ;);););););)

I got mine from Macleod's of Tain and I've just checked their stock... Be quick as they have an identical scope at £1495!

http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/CUSTOMER%20S_H%20STOCK%20LIST.pdf

Stock number 7863 - chuffing bargain!!

Cheers
iain

Cyres

You need to look at a Zeiss, had the chance to look through one in Devon last month and v impressed, S@B are pretty heavy but then again built like a p block house.

D

2130martin

Hi Martin,

Mine would be for almost exclusively hunting IE stalking and foxing.

I have a lightweight rifle and moderator and the lighter the scope the better IMO.

I was wondering if the PMII had some massive advantages that the extra weight deemed worth it?

Cheers

You have the same decision to make as me,I made my decision and have no regrets,very happy.....

night stalker

I have a PMII on my 25-06 (deer rfle) and love it, mine is the 3-12x50 model with mildot reticle. I have a drop chart in the rear flip up that tells me how many clicks to dial in out to 400 yds in 25 yds. Last year me and 2 stalking mates were laid down overlooking a long ride at last light (too dark to shoot a deer) when I saw a fox (through scope) come out of the Forrest and start to take a wiz in the middle of the track at about 200 yds. I told my mates where it was but neither of them could find it in their scopes so I shot it and walked down to show them where it was. On finding the fox both said they had been looking straight at it but hadn't been able to make it out, one was using a variable Doctor scope and the other a leupold VX III 5-20x50 with target turrets.

​Rick

MOCKBA

The zeiss is v good. 6x24 fl with the ASV and for £50 they will send you a ring for any specific ammo you use.

blunderbust

I too have the Z6i 2.5 - 15 x 56 BT (but the gen 2) on my 300 win mag I have used it for stalking in the woods, on the hill and taken opportunity foxes well out. When I get the chance I shoot at steel plates out to 450 yards. The scope has never missed a beat and the BT is nice and easy to use, indeed I am that impressed with it that I am going to put one (2 -12 x 50) on my 243 at the end of this month. Sorry I cant comment on that model S&B, but as has been stated they are bomb proof.

Wingy

Kershaw

Got a 4-16 x 50 PM2 and would not swap it - great quality.

I have fallen over with it, banged it on trees / highseats etc and it has never lost its zero.

Bought it secondhand 6 years ago for £1000 and its still as good as the day I got it.

Robin