Sad day... SAS man Danny Nightingale sentenced for gun possession

Stoney Creek - Purpose Built Shooting Clothing

gixer1

Why sad? he did the crime - to the letter of the law and therfore he now faces the music - just because someone is armed forces does not mean they have immunity....

Regards,

Gixer

joelewis055

Each to there own, my personal feelings are that outcome of the case does not sit right with me. Not suggesting immunity for armed forces, just that when you look at the detail and circumstances it becomes a lot more complicated. But as i said, each to their own.

sakotrg

Suspended sentence! Hardly a sad day as anyone else would have got 5 years minumum. At the end of the day he still has to abide by the law regardless of his heroic past.

Sinistral

A 2-year sentence ..... suspended for 12 months. What does that mean?

Each twist and turn of this farrago is more laughable than the one before. Is the MOD hoping public opinion will come riding to the rescue again? Or will this sentence be quietly commuted as soon as it drops out of the media coverage?

Pedro

A suspended sentence? I think quite a lot of people will think that the sentence does take into account his armed forces status! If a police search found a handgun and pile of ammunition in anybody else's house, it would have been without doubt at least partly a custodial sentence.

I don't think he can complain at all. However he will now find life harder with this conviction, so good luck to him.

gixer1

Each to there own, my personal feelings are that outcome of the case does not sit right with me. Not suggesting immunity for armed forces, just that when you look at the detail and circumstances it becomes a lot more complicated. But as i said, each to their own.

Yup, I don't doubt he's probably a nice enough guy but if anyone else was found to be in possesion of a pistol we'd have probably got a lot longer, also i doubt the credibility of iraq forces giving a uk soldier an austrian pistol as a gift??? c'mon - hardly a rare or special pistol to give is it? you can rent one in most rtanges in the USA and most people serving would say "thanks but no" if someone offered to give them a firearm of some sort.

and the brain injury defence also did him more harm than good in my opinion, if this had been say, an irishman who servied in northern irealand would you have the same opinion?

Regards,

Gixer

landkeeper

the whole thing stinks in my mind ,two identical pistols made in the same factory in the same year found in the same house one belonging to someone who has already been jailed the other the defendant claims no memory of ,all vey suss, i just hope he's not a vengeful fella or someone is in for a spot of bother in the future

TankGunner

Nothing sad about it at all IMO. He got off lightly. The detail and circumstances are not complicated at all.

He acquired an illegal firearm and ammunition, he used the armed forces equipment transport system to enable him to bring them into the country, he then kept them in his possession. Someone who knew he had them dobbed him in. He tried to use his military service as an excuse and as a means of garnishing public sympathy. It failed! What it has got him is a non custodial sentence and a criminal record. A fair trade in IMO.

Finch

the whole thing stinks in my mind ,two identical pistols made in the same factory in the same year found in the same house one belonging to someone who has already been jailed the other the defendant claims no memory of ,all vey suss, i just hope he's not a vengeful fella or someone is in for a spot of bother in the future

I agree. There's a bad smell about the whole thing. Doubt we've heard the last of this.

neil_r

I think the sentence was fair if not light, an illegal handgun and a quantity of ammunition in his possession, what on earth did he expect?

timbrayford

Irrespective of whether people think that SGT Nightingale has received justice or an injustice what is clear is the very casual attitude that exists within HM Government to the unlawful importation and possession of firearms by Crown Servants.

By the very nature of their occupation members of the security services may acquire weapons abroad, be it seized from our enemies, gifts or whatever.

What appears to be missing is a rigorous and effective system of control to ensure that weapons are accounted for on arrival in the UK and deactivated or otherwise disposed of as appropriate.

atb Tim

jon2

The facts actually have always been the same (ref the original court transcript). It is his story and plea that have changed.

I'm glad to say I never signed the petition as I had read the transcript and it was obvious to me he was guilty. I thought the world had gone mad in supporting him and interestingly the Judge Advocate has commented that the campaign which was waged by his family etc had misled the public.

That's what you get for taking media coverage as gospel.

Last edited:

al4x1

sounds to me like they let him off with a slap on the knuckles and a slap in the face to the rest of us who have to abide by UK law

kuwinda

I've come across a few of these SAS types in the stalking context.

Some were good, genuine blokes - and excellent shots....

One in particular was an idiot who should under no circumstances ever have been allowed anywhere near a gun - or indeed any sharp object. He paid no attantion to what he was told, clearly had little respect or knowledge of his quarry - oh, and he was toting a Glock. (why??)

I think this chap should count himself very lucky - why should there be one law for us and a different one for them?

(....and NO i am under NO CIRCUMSTANCES going to name names....)

CDSG Shooting Sports