Saint Hubert's club info

Mr dippy

Hi

Anyone on here in the saint Hubert's club, just been reading the club details on the Internet

Just wondered if it is something to join or avoid.

Thank you

​Mr D

The friend who acted as my mentor for FAC application is a member of it. Couldn't meet a nicer more helpful gent, very knowledgeable on a wide range of country pursuits and happy to share and pass that on. He's also built like a brick out house, shaven head and looks like he should be a bouncer.
Not what I'd first picture on thinking of "The Saint Hubert's Club". Beyond knowing him I have no knowledge or experience of them. If he's a fair example of the attitude they engender I'd say they're ok.

We do have members that belong to The Saint Huberts Club but i`m not naming them, they`ll come forward if they so wish.
Never heard anything bad about them.

HiAnyone on here in the saint Hubert's club, just been reading the club details on the InternetJust wondered if it is something to join or avoid.Thank you​Mr D

I would suggest you join if you can, it's not easy but worth it in the end as they have some good perks ;)

Well worth joining if you can as they are a friendly bunch with lots of perks as stated, & some good stalking.

I have been a member for a long time as well, we have members from all walks of life, weekends at the club cottage at Thetford can be the most enjoyable and informative time spent with like minded people, the training is approved by Lantra and is very professional in its format. I was lucky to be a long term friend, and still am, of a commission stalker, we still stalk together every month. I knew all the old generation commission guys, Tony Rheaman, John Church, and of course one of the most knowledgeable man involved within the deer world, Rex Whitta, a man with a huge knowledge of deer, who was awarded the Balfour-Brown trophy in recognition of his achievement's within the deer world, and of course our own Hubert H. It is not a closed club, anyone can join, whether novice or professional stalker, still have to do the training from entrant to B grade to prove gain your right to stalk on the extensive areas of land the club manage. I do not ever intend to stand down as a member as I feel the club has given me the opportunity to further my passion for deer related pastimes. Deerwarden

Interesting reading,I am based in Cornwall and it seems all of the replies and any information I have seen is based a long way away,do they operate this far West?

I would respectfully suggest you first consider if you are in a position to commit to the club’s events program as I’ve always been led to believe is a key requirement of members.

Things change though so I may be making more of this than necessary.

K

I would respectfully suggest you first consider if you are in a position to commit to the club’s events program as I’ve always been led to believe is a key requirement of members.

K

this is correct , i resigned from the club 18 months or so ago simply because i did not have enough time to spare with work and a young family etc .

but they are great people , who are very serious about what they do . i do plan to re-join at some point and continue where i left off.

How do you go about joining......? and is it prohibitively costly?

Edit:

Scratch that, just answered my own question on their website.....

Last edited:
I was a member for a great number of years and the Club at that time was a Fieldsports & Gentleman's club so to speak with a good piece of stalking attached. They were, in the 50's responsible for training FC rangers in the use of rifles for deer, and ran a pretty good training scheme which was emulated by others to become level 1 over a period of time.
I am led to believe that in recent times there have been problems with some members including suspensions and that several people left the Club after a meeting last year including people I know well and the Club's patron, a member for some 50 years. I understand it is probably much more of a stalking club now than it was, with up to 14 people stalking each week end .
If I were you I think I would wait and watch for a while to see how things level out and then apply,if you still have an interest.

K

thanks for the reply,thats the reason I wanted to know how far I would need to travel to get involved,it seems a long way from Cornwall

thanks for the reply,thats the reason I wanted to know how far I would need to travel to get involved,it seems a long way from Cornwall
They have their own cottage in Thetford Forest which you can book to make a week-end of it, but if you do, make sure you clean it up before you leave or the gods will descend upon you !!
Their training officer is a good guy too with a more modern outlook to training and stalking.

They have their own cottage in Thetford Forest which you can book to make a week-end of it, but if you do, make sure you clean it up before you leave or the gods will descend upon you !!
Their training officer is a good guy too with a more modern outlook to training and stalking.

There used to be a young lady who shared their cottage in the woods who had trained all the animals to help clean it, including the deer who would lend their antlers to hang wet laundry from. But she went off and married a prince or something.

There used to be a young lady who shared their cottage in the woods who had trained all the animals to help clean it, including the deer who would lend their antlers to hang wet laundry from. But she went off and married a prince or something.

You really are a silly s*d :) Are you at the range day tomorrow?

You really are a silly s*d :) Are you at the range day tomorrow?

Hello Iain. You've probably noticed by now that no, I'm not. Broadly, I can't make the weekday range days, it's only an exception to the rule. But mainly, Pine Marten the Younger is still only very young, so my outings are currently limited to, erm, none really. But it will improve in time.

Hello Iain. You've probably noticed by now that no, I'm not. Broadly, I can't make the weekday range days, it's only an exception to the rule. But mainly, Pine Marten the Younger is still only very young, so my outings are currently limited to, erm, none really. But it will improve in time.

Do though try and at least make this year's Christmas Match otherwise known as the "Creosote Bird Shoot".

You can use your 7mm but better is a centrefire of Hornet size as you may use what you like. Its shot as per the stalkers test but the 10 ring is half the size. At least!

Cheers

K

Back