Sako 75 donor action - .223 Rem

Zeissman

Hi all,

I've just sold my .17 HMR and have decided to build a foxing/plinking setup with a bit more grunt in .223 Rem. This will be my first build so these are probably some quite basic questions despite quite a bit of research. Initially, I looked at Remingtons as a base to build on but I've decided that I simply don't like them enough to go through the hassle of building on. I looked at Tikkas because of the ease of getting aftermarket parts, etc. but don't need a long action which is the only size Tikka do.

So... I'm looking at Sako 75's but have a few questions.

1. Were 223 and 222 the only two calibres that used the No. 1 action?

2. If I can't find a No. 1 action, could a No. 3 action, bolt, extractor, magazine, etc. be adapted easily for 223? I ask because the No. 3 action would also give me the option of a longer cartridge in the future.

3. Are the bolts calibre specific on a Tikka action?

4. Is there a custom action that has a wide range of readily available aftermarket parts like stocks, bolts, etc? Not Howas, Remingtons, etc. Actual custom. Not a huge fan of round actions.

All help gratefully received!

All best,

Z.

Claret_Dabbler

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but I would just go out and buy a SH 75 in 223. I would see how it shoots and customise it as you go along and identify anything that can be improved.

I. Farticus

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but I would just go out and buy a SH 75 in 223. I would see how it shoots and customise it as you go along and identify anything that can be improved.

+1 but they are like rocking horse p**... There is the occasional 75 in .222 that appears which would be worth a rebarrel, but for the costs incurred to do that (£450-750), why not just stick with the calibre it's in. Can't be THAT much difference

Action I is .222 & .223 only. I don't see how you can do anything with Action III (.243, .260, 7mm-08, .308) that would enable a move to .223, or surely Sako would've done it themselves in the 85.

Happy to be wrong, but maybe James - Jager SA - or the like can comment as they are rebarrel pros!

Mungo

I've recently managed to get hold of Sako 75s in both .243 and .222.

Both are very good rifles, and I can see very little reason for getting anything done to them. They both shoot far better than I can (both will put three shots touching at 100m).

You will struggle to find one in .223, but they do come up quite often in .222. As I Farticus says, no point in re-barreling: the marginal difference in performace isn't worth the expense or hassle. I use my .222 on roe, and they have all died more or less where they stood.

Zeissman

Thanks Brian,

A large part of me agrees with you! I've got a 75 that I love in 308. Perverse as it sounds, half the fun for this rifle for me is the build. I've never done one before but I suppose that old habits die hard so I'm just trying to replicate a 75 that is a fairly safe bet as a half-decent shooter before bedding, etc.

Any other actions I should consider?

tackb

hold out for a 75 action 1 , I did and love it (even found a factory 1-8) the bolt is too big and would take work I guess to change an action 3 into 223 ? you may as well 6 or 6.5x47 if you did that ?

a re-barrelled action one (17rem/222/204/223) would be your best bet for this project I think?

Zeissman

Thanks Mungo and I. Farticus, I know that you're right re altering a 75. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree as an action to build on because of cost. Any other suggestions that aren't Remington, Howa, Weatherby, Browning, Winchester, Tikka, etc.

All best,

Z.

Mungo

Thanks Mungo and I. Farticus, I know that you're right re altering a 75. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree as an action to build on because of cost. Any other suggestions that aren't Remington, Howa, Weatherby, Browning, Winchester, Tikka, etc.

I thought about this quite a lot recently, and I decided that if I ever came to it, I would use an older Sako action - a Vixen or A1. There are quite a few around, and they go a lot cheaper than the 75.

That or a BRNO Fox.

Zeissman

Z, if you can find a shot out 75 Action I, rebarrel it and you'll have a rifle for life!! The problem is finding one...
Cheers
iain

Thanks Ian, that was the initial plan but finding a shot out one for sensible money will be more of a challenge than I anticipated. Mungo, thank you. Is the vixen the same as an L461?

if I can get an old Sako action, is there a stock firm and aftermarket accessories firm that should be the first port of call?

Mungo

Yes - vixen is the l461.

Astonishingly, Wikipedia has a handy model history for sako rifles that actually seems more or less accurate.

I've had a play with a vixen and an a1 and they're both really fun little actions.

But really - don't ignore the BRNO fox or it's more recent incarnation - the cz527. You can get 'shot out' guns for almost nothing - and as Bewsher off here can attest, even the shot out ones are capable of sub-moa groups.

Heym SR20

Plus 1 to Mungo's.222 Sako 75 - shot it yesterday and it is lovely and light and very accurate - 3 shots through a 7mm sized hole. They just don't make it with the handle on the correct side, otherwise I would be sorely tempted :cry:

The CZ / Brno Fox makes into a nice little rifle.

Or Zastava makes a proper Mini Mauser controlled round feed, staggered box built for 223 sized cartridge action. Made in Serbia and readily available in the US but don't know if you would get one here in the UK. By the looks of it they need a bit of cleaning up, but with a bit of work could make a really nice rifle - Custom Mini Mauser Finished - Topic

As for the stocks - there are quite a number of US rifle blanks / stock makers that can let let you have a semi inlet nearly finished blank and then either you or somebody like PKL can inlet and finish for you.

Last edited:

Jager SA

Just finishing a Sako S491, put a Sendero fluted stainless Pacnor barrel on it...just the coating and the stock to address.

It will be a tidy little rifle when it's done. :D

Mick9abf

I was also looking for a 75 action for a potential build a wee while ago. I have previously had and still have 75's and like them a lot. The down side is that, quite frankly, people want the same money for a shot out one as you would pay for a shooter.

Yes you can argue a gun is worth what someone will pay for it, but to be honest, I got a barely used T3 stainless for less than I was getting offered 75's with gubbed barrels for. I chose to go for it and will decide what to do if and when I get bored with it or more unlikely shoot it out at a later date!!

That said if you want and get offered a 75 at the right money snap it up and then you can sit in it till you decide what to do as then you'll get what you really want.

20-250

Not a 75, but I do know where there's an L461 which is in good order and would make a very nice donor. It has a standard sporter stock and deluxe bottom metal. It's £350.

james22250

Hi,
I have a S491 which I bought new in 222 and had Norman Clark rebarrel in 223 a few years ago, it is still my favourite rifle for target and vermin shooting, great trigger,short fast slick bolt, it holds seven rounds plus one in the chamber. I had mine fitted with a Tubb recoil lug, free floated and Devcon bedded, all optional but worth doing for added accuracy if that's what you want?
I love Sako but the only thing to think about is the integral scope bases which are tapered, limiting the types of rings you can use, a very small consideration though.

james22250

I also meant to add that it is a recessed bolt face with the Sako so you need to have the same head size if you are changing calibre, so a 243 or 308 medium length action will not support a 222 or 223 which is a short action.
cheers
James