Sako 75 S/S

kal

I may have the chance to pick up a Sako 75 in .243, Stainless, Synthetic.
I have heard good reports of the 75 but as the rifle has had just over 1000 rounds of factory 100gr's through it, do you think there is much life left in it.
It looks tidy enough but is there anything specific I should be checking out or forget about it.
Trigger, Safety, Bolt, Stock, Bedding. ?

Tom D

I have a 75 synthetic and I think the stock is excellent when compared with some of the others available. It has no flex and feels nice in the hand I doubt you'd need bedding. As to the round count, it should be ok but was that 1000 rounds fired in rapid groups at paper or at game from a cool barrel over a 10 year period? Buy it if the price is right, even if the barrel is a dud you have a great action and stock for a re-barrel job.

Tis1979

I would say if it looks in good condition buy it, maybe different if hes been using homeloads but 1000 factory i would think theres plenty of life left in it, and when the barrel is done youve got a great action to put a new tube on maybe in a different caliber if you fancy.

Good luck with it

Highlandsjohn

I would say if it looks in good condition buy it, maybe different if hes been using homeloads but 1000 factory i would think theres plenty of life left in it, and when the barrel is done youve got a great action to put a new tube on maybe in a different caliber if you fancy.

Good luck with it
Cant speak for everyone but why do you believe it would be in better condition with factory ammo rather than home loaded? I find most factory FB is much hotter than any I load...

At 1,000 rounds it should have lots of life left in it, unless neglected or abused. The Sako 75 Stainless Synthetic is an excellent rifle with no problems.
I currently own two 75s and previously owned another. I have never found anything to dislike about them.
If possible, get it bore scoped and even better, shoot it on a range before you buy. Particularly check the muzzle to ensure that it has not been stored with a moderator left on it. That is one of the most effective ways of ruining an otherwise sound rifle of any make.

Tis1979

Cant speak for everyone but why do you believe it would be in better condition with factory ammo rather than home loaded? I find most factory FB is much hotter than any I load...
Only because if as they've said hundred grain factory have been used its probably the same make and constant, home loads or people that home load tend to have an interest in loading so try different projectiles and powder types. Some hot some not.

Atb

NorthDorset

I own 2 75's in SS and absolutely love them.

1000 rounds in .243 is fairly high but in all honesty a gun that is shot out for a target shooter is still going to accurately nail deer at sub 100m.

Possibly worth getting it bores coped and remedial action taken if required. Would only really consider it a matter for negotiation. How much is he after for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlandsjohn

I may have the chance to pick up a Sako 75 in .243, Stainless, Synthetic.
I have heard good reports of the 75 but as the rifle has had just over 1000 rounds of factory 100gr's through it, do you think there is much life left in it.
It looks tidy enough but is there anything specific I should be checking out or forget about it.
Trigger, Safety, Bolt, Stock, Bedding. ?
As uncle norm said, the condition of the crown will tell you how it's been looked after. Get it bore scoped, a thousand rounds in a Sako would not bother me at all...

Border

Have a mate who had a Ruger mk II in 243w.
he loads himself and is interested in accuracy. I believe that his round count before barrel change was ca. 3500 ish, so 1000 shouldnt be too much issue unless rapid fire or moderator pitting issues.

kal

Thanks for the replies.
I believe the gun was used for stalking with some zeroing thrown in, so no range work.
I have checked the crown and bolt face with no issues that I could see. ( with an untrained eye )
The stock is in reasonable condition for its age and use.
As no one has mentioned any issues with the trigger then I guess that is going to be OK.
One issue I did have was with the bolt.
It didn't seem to lock down very well.
Put in a dummy round and locked down the bolt but only minimal force on the bolt and it started to rise.
If I was out and about I recon I'd have to carry gun with my thumb over the bolt to keep in place.
Is that normal.

long_range_rob

The bolt will lift a bit with the safety applied. About 3/4 inch generally. It should then stop unless the safety is released or the bolt lift lever activated.

I have owned and used my 75 in 243 for 14 years with 4500 5000 rounds thru it. I did have to have the crown re done, but that was down to me leaving the can on it. Anyho it will still shoot 1/2 groups with ease at 100 m. It not fussy either I've used loads of factory stuff but have home loaded for the last 8 years.

paul o'

All sounds good mty you wont be disappointed in the 75 the round count is light as others have said they are nice rifles to own .