Sako 85 bedding screws

Pickles

Been out this morning and noticed the action is loose on my Sako 85 in .243
can anybody tell me what the correct torque setting is for these screws? Will it be ok to put a drop of loctite on them to prevent it happening again? And is there anything else I should know before doing it?
many thanks.

Yorric

36 inch pounds for both screws.
remove stock & give it an inside clean & a wipe over with a nearly dry oily rag. Re-assemble with screws loose. Push action/barrel back so the recoil lug is in hard contact , then progressively wind the two screws down alternating as you increase torque.
It is not usually the done thing to add any loctite as you may wish to remove the stock later. If the screws are coming loose when torqued up properly, the stock must be getting soft & crushed -- if that is the case get it pillar bedded.

Ian

ps I just check screws for tightness each time I clean the rifle. (not a full torque up, just a quick feel - I don't want to disturb the setting).

Last edited:

Pickles

Thanks for that, it’s a laminated stock so hopefully wouldn’t suffer from going soft etc? It’s the first time they have come loose so would you recommend just torquing them up to 36 and giving it a try for a while?
thanks again

Richie092

My 85 .243 laminate does that too. It's fine firing the odd shot but if it goes down the range and shoots 15/20 (over an hour or two) it loosens right up.

Yorric

If screws are coming loose repeatedly, definitely get it pillar bedded. Modern laminates are often quite light & fairly soft. As with natural timber stocks, they can get crushed, especially if not properly inletted snugly & fixed tight.
Loose screws can initiate stock deformation due to the impact/vibration. Once deformation in the wood starts, it often gets worse quickly.
Too much wet oil on a wooden or laminate stock will soften it.

Ian

Richie092

I was thinking of going down the PSE composite route to be honest. Lovely looking stocks. Would just like to have an idea of how much barrel life I have left before shelling out. My laminate stock has plenty of dings and scrapes on it so not in the best of condition.