Sako 85 Carbonlight or Finnlight II?

Billygoat

Hi.
I need a new rifle and I’ve narrowed it down to these two.
Unfortunately I haven’t been able to see either of them first hand, so I am hoping that some of you may have actually seen, handled or used them and will be able to help me to decide which one to get.
Any input is welcome.

Billygoat

Thanks for the replies. I was leaning towards the Carbonlight, but this is making me rethink. The shiny inserts on the Finnlight are the only thing I’m not sure about. Do they dull-down with use, or are they not as shiny as they look on the internet?

old keeper

What calibre are you thinking of? I've used a Carbonlight and thought it a really good, very light, rifle. In fact, it's so light that personally, I would probably go no higher than 243.

It's a very nice rifle indeed and shot extremely well. It even looks good!

Billygoat

What calibre are you thinking of? I've used a Carbonlight and thought it a really good, very light, rifle. In fact, it's so light that personally, I would probably go no higher than 243.

It's a very nice rifle indeed and shot extremely well. It even looks good!
I’m looking for a .243. I’ve heard the Carbonlights are very good.

Basil H

I have had a .308 Cl for several years. There are no "inserts". The surface is nice to handle, like wood. I am very satisfied with it, and it is not my first or only rifle.
The recoil is, to me, insignificant with lighter loads such as Sako 123.. With a more poky load such as Hornady 150 Superformance, it is comparable to a standard weight .30-06 or 7mm RM with a heavy bullet, so no big deal unless you are sensitive to recoil.

Billygoat

I have had a .308 Cl for several years. There are no "inserts". The surface is nice to handle, like wood. I am very satisfied with it, and it is not my first or only rifle.
The recoil is, to me, insignificant with lighter loads such as Sako 123.. With a more poky load such as Hornady 150 Superformance, it is comparable to a standard weight .30-06 or 7mm RM with a heavy bullet, so no big deal unless you are sensitive to recoil.
Thanks Basil. How has the coating on the stock faired?

DavyG

How about the rubber inserts, do they wear well?
Sako built the CL to be their lightest 85 @ 2.6kg. The FL 2 is 0.4kg heavier but several hundred pounds less expensive. The stock on the FL is (IMO) one of the best factory stocks Sako has produced. Both superb rifles, each with their advantages.
DG

Last edited:

DavyG

Finnlight has a rubberised coating on the fibreglass stock, its not very durable.
I’m on my 3rd season with the FL2. It’s out in all weather 3-4 times a week. So far, it has not shown any wear on the stock and this is a working rifle not a cabinet queen.
DG

Attachments

• 1BF28303-F20C-43A1-A451-0DBFDAF22A4D.jpeg
    1BF28303-F20C-43A1-A451-0DBFDAF22A4D.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 87

Billygoat

Sako built the CL to be their lightest 85 @ 2.6kg. The FL 2 is 0.4kg heavier but several hundred pounds more expensive. The stock on the FL is (IMO) one of the best factory stocks Sako has produced. Both superb rifles, each with their advantages.
DG
I think the Carbonlight is actually more expensive.

Basil H

The stock is fine, but my kit doesn't get used hard these days. I wish it were otherwise but long days on the hill are behind me.