Sako 85 Drone Po Mount

Tahrnz

Thought I'd give members the heads up regarding the above mount made by Wildcat Precision in Worcestershire.
I don't have any affiliation with the manufacturer or his business but I do know he is a talented gunsmith who has been willing to take the chance in producing the above for my Sako 85 so I think he deserves my support.
I've used this rifle/scope/mount combination extensively over the last couple of months, both here and abroad, in some pretty extreme/harsh conditions and it has performed flawlessly never losing zero despite suffering in the hands of aircraft baggage handlers, amongst other things.
The mount resembles the one produced by Neil Mckillop a few years ago but is designed to fit the wedged Sako dovetail system and has been cerakoted matt black to protect it against rusting. Now I don't know the ins and outs but I understand getting the dovetail fit isn't the easiest thing to do as not all Sako dovetails are the same, even within the designation range, so when fitting there is by design some movement of the mount on the rear dovetail which is taken up as the side clamp is torqued up. A pin through the mount determines maximum forward travel on the dovetail.
After returning from my most recent trip abroad I had to strip the rifle and mount down for maintenance, taking the latter off the Drone Pro to remove various accumulated debris. When back together I checked zero and found that I only had to adjust the 'scope 1 'click' left to bring it back to its original zero point of 13 down and 4 right, that's pretty impressive in my book.
This mount allows the Drone to sit well back so affords a comfortable cheek weld and shooting position, bolt lift isn't impinged either.
All in all and impressive bit of design and engineering made for the x10 power models only.
Contact details and any further information contact Sam on:
sam@wildcatprecision.co.uk
If this is in the wrong section I'd be grateful if the mods would move it to the correct one.sakom1.JPGsakom2.JPGsakom4.JPGsakom8.JPGsakom7.JPG

Dom

I’d be interested in this as I missed out on the Neil McKillop batch. I have a Sako 75, but I presume this will fit. Rude question, I know, but what sort of cost are we talking about?

Nick703

dose Kev gun not make mounts to fit sako? Mine has front lens support ( on a tikka) and the Front of the drone is rock solid and never looses zero, that looks like it wouldn’t take a knock on the front end ?5625CCA7-7E10-405D-9769-7D3134F2EF08.jpeg

Tahrnz

I should have made it clear that this mount was designed to fit both the 75 and 85 Sako rifles dovetails and I don't think the calibre matters too much, I know Sam test fitted his design to both during development to make sure of that.
Not sure if Kevgun does a mount specific for the Sako tapered dovetail but maybe someone can confirm?
I can see your Tikka Varmint has the integrated picatinny rail to attach the mount to so I assume you would also need to attach one to a Sako in order to utilize the mount, I specifically didn't want to mount a rail then attach another mount on top as it would make the Drone too high for comfortable and relaxed shooting.
Whether using Neil's mount on my Tikka or Sam's on my Sako I have never had a problem with zero shift with either of them. I have knocked the front lens on both on occasions, even dropping the Sako recently (unloaded), checked and found it maintained zero. Whether Drone Pro or Swarovski, Nightforce, etc I would always check zero after a serious knock anyway.

woody

dose Kev gun not make mounts to fit sako? Mine has front lens support ( on a tikka) and the Front of the drone is rock solid and never looses zero, that looks like it wouldn’t take a knock on the front end ?View attachment 144449
This looks very similar to the mount and bracket system that Kevin Gundry made for my drone pro which lost zero regularly but since fitting it has been very reliable. Definitely looks better than any other design I have seen.

simon1979

Looks like a well made mount, its a similar type of mount for the pard008, they able to make one to fit as well?

Is Josh still the owner there?

Tahrnz

Never tried the mount you mention although good to hear it solved your zero shift problems, to my mind it's always nice to have new options available for mounting the Drone Pro, especially to a Sako.
Personally I prefer this design as it's very minimalistic, aligns the DP perfectly for me, provides the correct eye relief and hold zero.

Tahrnz

I simon1979, best contact Sam if you have queries as I'm only giving members a heads up about the Sako mount I bought.
Josh is still about but I don't know about the Management set up.

Nick703

I should have made it clear that this mount was designed to fit both the 75 and 85 Sako rifles dovetails and I don't think the calibre matters too much, I know Sam test fitted his design to both during development to make sure of that.
Not sure if Kevgun does a mount specific for the Sako tapered dovetail but maybe someone can confirm?
I can see your Tikka Varmint has the integrated picatinny rail to attach the mount to so I assume you would also need to attach one to a Sako in order to utilize the mount, I specifically didn't want to mount a rail then attach another mount on top as it would make the Drone too high for comfortable and relaxed shooting.
Whether using Neil's mount on my Tikka or Sam's on my Sako I have never had a problem with zero shift with either of them. I have knocked the front lens on both on occasions, even dropping the Sako recently (unloaded), checked and found it maintained zero. Whether Drone Pro or Swarovski, Nightforce, etc I would always check zero after a serious knock anyway.
Don’t no if Kev can do sako mounts but I no what you mean about not having a rail to keep the drone lower,l used to have a drone on a howa 1500,this needed a 20 moa rail and the drones cross was right at the bottom of the screen to get it to zero, made it totally un useable even with adjustable cheek piece the drone was way to high, your mount looks well made but I would have wanted a clamp on the front as well but if ain’t broke don’t fix it :D

bobjs

I think Neil Mc made a mount for the sako rifles but found it problematic ( but I am sure neil will correct me) I am not sure if that was making the mount or the fact that the mount moved once fitted, I use Neil's mount for tikka rifles and its solid as a rock also happy to report that "touch wood" I have never had a issue with the drone and its POI,

bob.