Sako 90 g for roe and muntjac

Whitester

I am about to start shooting roe and muntjac and I have decided on sako 90 g game head in my 243 as they are the most accurate.

just wonder if anyone has any experience with these rounds on said deer?

Andy-shooter

They are absolutely superb in my rifle as well (1/3” 5 shot groups off bags at 100 yds) however... I have found them to be quite explosive at the ranges I’ve shot at. A couple of muntjac I shot at about 50yds looked like they’d been hit by a varmint bullet.

I think they are going pretty quickly out of my mauser’s 24” barrel and the bullet is not as robustly constructed as the Nostler partitions I now use in reloads.

Whitester

Thanks for the replies chaps. As they are accurate I will stick with them and it sounds like they are up to the job from a performance perspective.

20-250

They are accurate, do kill well, but leave slivers of lead in the numerous Roe I have shot with them. I have shot Roe with dozens of other bullets in several calibres. The Sako 90 grain 243 bullet is my least favourite SP for Roe.

tjm160

I too found Sako Gamehead 90g the best round for my Sako A7 and aside from two fallow over my first two stalks, I only shot Roe. If you look back over my stalk diaries, there are quite a few images showing the minimal carcass damage if interested in passing.

Whitester

They are accurate, do kill well, but leave slivers of lead in the numerous Roe I have shot with them. I have shot Roe with dozens of other bullets in several calibres. The Sako 90 grain 243 bullet is my least favourite SP for Roe.

Whats your favourite?

20-250

Whats your favourite?
The 105 grain Geco factory offering is the SP I would choose for Roe in a 243.
Believe it or not, the 70 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip is a really good Roe bullet. Damage is certainly less with that than the 90 grain Sako SP.
No doubt lots will be along shortly to disagree, but I have shot dozens of Roe with it and, as always, can only speak as I find.

Whitester

The 105 grain Geco factory offering is the SP I would choose for Roe in a 243.
Believe it or not, the 70 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip is a really good Roe bullet. Damage is certainly less with that than the 90 grain Sako SP.
No doubt lots will be along shortly to disagree, but I have shot dozens of Roe with it and, as always, can only speak as I find.

jusr out of interest what rifle have you got mate?

20-250

jusr out of interest what rifle have you got mate?
I have a couple of 243s. One is a Tikka 595, the other a full custom job. The Tikka prefers bullets less than 100 grains, the other has a faster twist than the 1 in 10” factory Tikka tube and handles everything I have tried in it really well.

Whitester

I have a couple of 243s. One is a Tikka 595, the other a full custom job. The Tikka prefers bullets less than 100 grains, the other has a faster twist than the 1 in 10” factory Tikka tube and handles everything I have tried in it really well.

Ok thanks for that, that makes sense from what I have read and tried. In that the 1 in 10 tikka 243 barrels like 90 and below.

Danny Fireblade

I use the 90gr gameheads and I have never had any bullets fragmenting inside the deer, and I should know as I eat all I shoot. I am not saying other people wont, just I have never experienced it.

They are also very accurate. I have some 100gr to try, but I will wait until I am down to my last box of 90's before I try them.

20-250

Ok thanks for that, that makes sense from what I have read and tried. In that the 1 in 10 tikka 243 barrels like 90 and below.
The 96 grain RWS cone point is very accurate in the Tikka. Not used it on Roe, but it’s just fine on Red. I would use it on anything in the U.K. with confidence.

Whitester

The 96 grain RWS cone point is very accurate in the Tikka. Not used it on Roe, but it’s just fine on Red. I would use it on anything in the U.K. with confidence.

Ok thanks for that I'll look out for the, because at the momemt sako 243 ammo seems to be very thin on the ground at my local rfd.

toads

Hi I'm of same opinion as some others. I noted that they were very accurate bullet but definitely seemed to blow up,leaving almost ballistic tip type damage to carcasses.

Acm

ive used about 200 rounds of these through a sako 75 finnlite .243. i really rate them as an all round bullet for roe, fallow and foxing and have never found any deposits. however i have found coloured plastic ballistic tip fragments from other brands of bt's

sir-lamp-alot

ive used them on godd knows how many deer and foxes there fine meat damge is ok they can be a little messey but they are a little on the quick side but not to much to worrie about, you certainly wont be binning half a carcase off each animal