Sako A7 accuracy problems

fjer20

I'm looking at buying a new rifle and called up my local gun dealer for a price on a Sako A7. They said that they do not stock them as they have had several customers complain about their accuracy - there seems to be a problem with the floated barrel touching the stock, resulting in bad grouping. This seemed odd as Sako have a good reputation for being very accurate

Has anyone else had this problem and what are your experiences of the Sako A7 rifle, good or bad?

My other options are a Mauser M12 or Sauer 101, although I did prefer the look of the Sako A7 until I heard this.

Thanks

F

Bell308

I've used an A7 for the last 3 years and I can say ive not had any issues with mine,
I have however, ungraded the poor sight mounting blocks which come with the rifle to a decent set of Wearne bases, and changed the crap plastic bottom metal for metal. I had the bases thrown in by the dealer as part of the package, and the bottom metal from a company in Australia.
The stock has an aluminium spine inside which runs full length and its made by bell and clarson for sako, I believe the stock is better than the general sako plastic stocks by far.
try shooting one to see what you think, rifles are highly personal in terms of fit and feel etc. I chose the A7 on fit alone. it works very well for me.
I wont say its a benchrest rifle but its more than capable of good sub MOA results given the right loads etc, or about 1MOA with most off the shelf brands, mines in .308 by the way.

Alfie White

They are very nice rifles for the money and I agree with bell308 that the roughtech stocks are Superior to any tikka or sako stocks on other model rifles. It’s also great that you can use other makes of scope bases and rails and not be stuck with those Sako opitlock mounts. I’ve never had any problems with accuracy on both my rifles, Which calibre were you thinking of purchasing?

Last edited:

bryn

I had one a few years ago in 308. It would start out very accurate and the loose it’s zero. It turned out to be the crap mounts it came with, absolute rubbish certainly for a heavier caliber. If you do go for the A7 then factor in a decent rail.
Bryn

linusr

I'm looking at buying a new rifle and called up my local gun dealer for a price on a Sako A7. They said that they do not stock them as they have had several customers complain about their accuracy - there seems to be a problem with the floated barrel touching the stock, resulting in bad grouping. This seemed odd as Sako have a good reputation for being very accurate

Has anyone else had this problem and what are your experiences of the Sako A7 rifle, good or bad?

My other options are a Mauser M12 or Sauer 101, although I did prefer the look of the Sako A7 until I heard this.

Thanks

F
Which Model A7 and which calibre mate?

tarponhead

I'm looking at buying a new rifle and called up my local gun dealer for a price on a Sako A7. They said that they do not stock them as they have had several customers complain about their accuracy - there seems to be a problem with the floated barrel touching the stock, resulting in bad grouping. This seemed odd as Sako have a good reputation for being very accurat

Thanks

F

Never had an issue and very surprised to hear this - sounds unlikely but very unusual if so. Are you sure its not just a sales pitch for something else? The other options are very good and well reviewed on this site and others. I particularly like the triggers on both.

tarponhead

I had one a few years ago in 308. It would start out very accurate and the loose it’s zero. It turned out to be the crap mounts it came with, absolute rubbish certainly for a heavier caliber. If you do go for the A7 then factor in a decent rail.
Bryn

Mounts? Mine was new and came bare with weaver rails.

ejg

Most factory rifles are not perfect in regards to bedding or barrel free floating. Partially it is the customers own fault because a narrow gap between barrel and stock is deemed to be good or a sign of quality. With a narrow gap between stock & barrel it is physically not possible to avoid contact if pressure is applied to a soft- ish injection moulded stock or even a slim timber stock. Sako/Tikka and most other rifles have the same issues.
These issues are not a deal breaker and are easily fixed by someone who understands the physics, can re-bed and possibly open the barrel channel.

Not sure what benefit an A7 has over a T3, you'll get plenty bits for the T3 less options for an A7.
edi

tarponhead

Not sure what benefit an A7 has over a T3, you'll get plenty bits for the T3 less options for an A7.
edi[/QUOTE]

More ergonomic stock and a slightly more durable mag - that's about it and they carefully don't chamber the A7 in some calibres that you can get in the T3. Down to personal choice - I like the A7 but have Tikka's in other calibres.

fjer20

Thanks for all the comments - very interesting and helpful and it's good to hear lots of positive things about the A7. It sounds like with a decent set of bases/mounts it should be fine

Linusr - i'm looking at a 243 in stainless synthetic

Thanks

F

paulbshooting

I have one of the early A7s. Fitted Talley pica rail to the action and use warne rings on this and all my rifles. Very accurate rifle, in 308 it seems to like 150grains. Only issue has been magazine lip tension, eventually sorted by GMK with replacement newer mags. It is my main working rifle and having recently started reloading, now getting some incredible accuracy. I also have a Bergera B14 Hunter and if I were to buy again would buy another of those having owned tikka, sako and other brands.

tjm160

I had the A7 in .243, choosing over the T3 for the better ergonomics (although not much in it and really just personal choice).

This thread discussed and gave examples of accuracy from 100m to 300m prone and off sticks (make sure to read through page 2 which includes most of the accuracy images).

I'm presently without rifle or certificates (ill health) but if and when I get back, I will be hard pushed to choose between the A7 in .243 and the 85 Synthetic Black in .308. I always lusted after the 85 Synthetic Black, but only really shot Roe with the occasional Fallow for which the .243 was perfectly adequate, saving a lot of extra money compared to the 85.

Bear1cat

I have had the A7 roughtec for about 3 years now and it is very accurate.
But that was not the case when I first got it, I would get unexplainable poi shifts.
This was resolved by changing the bases that came on the rifle, swapped them out for warne bases and rings and have never had the problem again.

linusr

Thanks for all the comments - very interesting and helpful and it's good to hear lots of positive things about the A7. It sounds like with a decent set of bases/mounts it should be fine

Linusr - i'm looking at a 243 in stainless synthetic

Thanks

F
I have used my A7 Roughtech Pro for nearly 2 years in 30-06, it doesn't like much below 150gr, but Saki Super Hammerhead in 180gr is well under 1 MOA - I find the forend is susceptible to bipod rigidity and too flexy, along with the aluminium casting in the stock/butt preventing an aftermarket Cheek riser being fitted. But all in all its a great bit of kit to just go out with - although I'd prefer a 5 shot mag.
For the record I'm on Sako bases and rings with no issues so far....

ejg

They are very nice rifles for the money and I agree with bell308 that the roughtech stocks are Superior to any tikka or sako stocks on other model rifles. It’s also great that you can use other makes of scope bases and rails and not be stuck with those Sako opitlock mounts. I’ve never had any problems with accuracy on both my rifles, Which calibre were you thinking of purchasing?

For a factory rifle quite a good stock however the low end of composite stocks. The Sako Carbolite on the other hand has a top end stock, well advanced in technology over any US manufacturers I know of. I just worked on a carbolite stock last week and had a close look at it. The big advantage of the T3 is the lower price and one can choose the suitable stock from a much larger offering than one could get for an A7 or other Sako rifles. Chances are one will end up with a rifle that comes closer to being "perfect".
I would choose any Tikka Sako over M12 Sauer 101 .
edi

Deerstalker6

I am just awaiting mine to land at my local rfd I ordered one in 243 blued sporter barrel,
been on order for 10 weeks was told last week it would be another 2-4 weeks.

I have just ordered some optilock bases and rings for it so shouldn't run into this issue,

I prefer the stock on the A7 over the T3X's

Last edited:

GSP84

Ive gone off Sakos massively.

My issues were well documented, and that was a near £3k carbonlight. Gun was replaced with all the waiting for variation pin thatcomes with that. I was definitely not the only one, and seen a lot of people not getting what they expected since on various forums.