Sako A7 or Tikka T3x 308 win

Our passion is your passion... stalk with us!

alun1960

Variation due to come back soon and cant decide on getting an A7 or T3x , will be wanting to put a picatinny rail on so i can swap nv from 243 to 308 if needed . Got a T3x 243 and a howa 243 nv set up both good shooters but wanted a 308 for sika - reds .

andyk

I had an A7 for a couple of years. I consider it had one particular benefit over a standard T3X, that being the stock. It is covered in rubber and feels considerably less 'plasticky' than the T3X synthetics (on the assumption you would be getting the standard type).

Technically, it also has a magazine with metal feed lips (which can be top loaded) and a three lug bolt. With the magazine, I do think the feed lips are a good idea and Tikka could do with adding some metal inserts to their mags (I say that having read threads on here with people complaining that their Tikka mags have worn out as the plastic has been eroded by the brass). However, the top loading seemed a bit of a gimmick. There have been reports that the A7 mag can be prone to spontaneously dumping cartridges as the design feature that allows top loading can weaken and mean the lips no longer hold the cartridges securely. I never had that problem but, in an effort not to weaken the lips, almost exclusively loaded the magazine in the conventional manner.

Three lug bolt is considered 'better' but whether it actually matters is another thing entirely.

I imagine the barrels are the same with a different stamp.

These days, I'd go with the Tikka. The A7 is being discontinued so getting parts could get difficult, e.g. spare magazines. You can also get all manner of custom bits for a Tikka which are either very hard to get, or non-existent, for the A7. For example, I wanted an aftermarket stock and had to import it from Canada. I'm now told that isn't possible anymore as the Canadian exporter can't find a courier willing to ship rifle stocks.

All that said, I found it a well made rifle which shot well, so no complaints. I don't think you'd have cause to regret buying an A7 but probably wouldn't the Tikka either, and parts are more available.

andyk

Having answered your question based on my experience of the A7, I would also have to agree with @Malxwal.

My A7 was replaced with a recently rebarreled 75. It’s a very solidly made rifle. You may be able to find a well looked after 75 for similar money to a new A7/T3X. If you can, I’d seriously consider it instead.

Koenig

I am sure I’ve seen complaints about the ‘grippy’ plastic stocks on the A7 going tacky/breaking down over time. There was some talk of the effect of oil/solvent/sweat and insect repellent speeding up the process. My T3 stock has withstood everything-and I do use non - insect repellent. If the T3 ‘Tupperware’ stock hollowness bothers you you could (i) fill it with closed cell expanding foam which takes the edge off it. Or, (ii) buy a T3X which among other improvements has a stock filler. Alternatively source an old but well maintained Tikka/Sako as suggested above if you are happy to go second hand. They are lovely well made rifles.

andyk

Just happened to be looking on Edinburgh Rifles Guntrader page, this may be of interest if you will consider s/h:

I’ve not personally bought from @Edinburgh Rifles but many on here hold them in high regard.

alun1960

Just happened to be looking on Edinburgh Rifles Guntrader page, this may be of interest if you will consider s/h:

I’ve not personally bought from @Edinburgh Rifles but many on here hold them in high regard.
Was looking at that earlier on guntrader thanks , i am thinking SH 75 or early finnlight . Gun will be occasional use as 243 my regular go to .

Edinburgh Rifles

Dodgy geezer
Not to be trusted

have a nice tikka T3 stainless synthetic 308 for sale too
Ooo and a Steyr SSG!!

Night Vision Store