Sako or RPA

jimmy milnes

Right here's the thing, I'm thinking of going for another rifle an I've chosen 3006 for the calibre simply because A.. Its tried an tested reliable cartridge
B.. Its available bullet weight range.

Now I'd love to own an RPA "Highland Stalker" but the price in comparison to say a new sako is nuts.
So basically *are they worth it* or would I be better off buying a sako an a rake of rounds for the same cost
Cheers Jimmy

Border

@SussexSteve had alternately Blaser RPA Blaser RPA for sale a while ago.
The RPA has always appealed to me too. I handled one in Rakers a few years ago and was not wowed by it. Nice but not the magical thing I had envisaged.
My vote would actually go to Tikka T3x and a shed load of rounds, or get a semi custom made from one of the recommended gunsmiths.

scotch_egg

Be mindful of the alleged ejections issues with Sako 85 in long action calibres. Depending on scope and height of mounts the angle of the case leaving the action causes it to strike the windage turret and bounce back into the action.

There have been previous posts on here regarding the issue. It doesn’t appear to affect the short action calibres.

I’m personally not a fan of RPA. They don’t look as refined as the European offerings.

I would also look at the Sauer and Shultz and Larson offerings.

jimbo123p

Pity you had not gone for a 25/06. I have a nice stainless wooden stock Sako complete with T12 mod. I will be listing soon as I now have two. Went for a lighter barrelled 25/06 and finally got it set up yesterday.

jimmy milnes

Well the jury seems to be saying sako/tikka an forget the dream so I'll doff my cap and say many thanks guys ill take the advice 👍🏻
Cheers Jimmy

paulbshooting

I treated myself a few years ago now to a new RPA woodland stalker. This was before they moved. Great engineering and super accurate. Very heavy though even for lowland deer work. Enjoyed it, culled a few deer and scratched the "itch". Sold it on for decent money. Went for a sako as then starting going to the Highlands so wanted a lighter weight setup. You are only here once, do it! Worse case you Will sell it on easily.

Triggermortis

I had an RPA stalker in .243, it was as accurate as my tikka’s but not more so, probably 2kg heavier, I personally think the trigger was mediocre and as already has been said did not wow me either, if it were me I’d buy a tikka or a Mauser M18 and spend the price difference on optics

PasqualeM

Blaser R8: pick it apart and clean it and then assemble it & go hunting again. No shift in POI. Besides that you cock it when you shot- very safe. It's accurate as a custom rifle. Shift between several scopes without having to zero it. Very, very reliable and probably the best rifle during winterhunting, probably don't matter to you though :).

Triggermortis

Can you expand on “ probably the best rifle during winterhunting” all of my rifles seem to shoot the same no matter what the weather is doing ?
Maybe you confuse blaser with that brand of beer😂

PasqualeM

Can you expand on “ probably the best rifle during winterhunting” all of my rifles seem to shoot the same no matter what the weather is doing ?
Maybe you confuse blaser with that brand of beer😂
Naa, not thinking of beer. Your are probably not hunting while it's -30 celsius? In that case you would know that lots of things can happen to the rifle when it's very cold.

PasqualeM

I have no technical explanation besides the fact that German engineering is good. It's just an observation that me and other hunters have observed during the years. All rifles freeze on different locations/parts but it seems that Blasers work well in these low temperatures.