Sako or Tikka? Wood or Synthetic?

Gyr

Hello All,

Looking to change my rifle.
Is the extra money for a sako worth it compared to a tikka?
Thinking of either a Tikka T3 or a Sako 75 or 85.
Also looking at synthetic for practical reasons.
Has anyone gone over to synthetic and wouldn't go back to wood?

Appreciate any views.

Gyr

Hi Gyr,
Its totally down to how much pocket money you have got. I have two T3's a lite in 243 and a Varmint in 308, both in synthetic. I wouldn't go back to wood but thats my choice others may feel differently. Sakos are excellent but a tad heavy for my liking. For a cheap rifle that stops deer it is my choice to have Tikkas. Its an opinion, you will hear others but this ones mine. ;)

Reactions: BAS
I have wood but after carrying out culling and an increased amount of fox lamping I am considering going for synthetic. I spend all my time worrying about scratching the bloody thing.

I'm a complete convert to stainless/synthetic. My .243 T3 grouped to 1" straight out of the box with Federal 100 grain. It's even better with Norma. Highly recommended.

Reactions: BAS
I would not purchase a new rifle with plastic stock, except
if I'm planning to throw the stock away. Walnut is old fashioned
but not bad, epoxy sticks to it and makes bedding easy.
Most people want to have a free floating barrel but don't want a gap
which just doesn't work in the long run with plastic or wood.
Warping can be avoided with good varnish or epoxy.
Saying all that, I just had a tikka lite in my hands yesterday and
was impressed that the plastic stock was quite stiff, better than
others. Wood or plastic I would free out the channel and try to
bed the action.
How about, get a walnut stock and later a fiber glass stock, both worlds.
edi

Tikka and sako are virtually built in the same factory so quality wise they are as good as each other in my opinion, with the sako maybe being slightly heavier.

I currently run a tikka 595 .243 which i`ve had for about 8 years or so, and also a styer mannlicher .270, both in wood.

Once again it is a matter of choice for plastic or wood, but i must admit i do like a wooden stock and have never had any problems with them.

decision decisions :confused:

It`s up to you :confused:

wadas

I crossed over to the dark side (synthetic) about 8 years ago, and have also recently changed my 270 M65 Tikka for a New Tikka T3 in Cammo and stainless.

Wood is beautiful on a rifle, but for the amount I stalk and a great deal in the highlands, synthetic has its advantages. Either way Sako or Tikka you wont go far wrong with either of these two rifles (basically the same as Wadders has already pointed out) ;)

My first centrefire rifle was a wooden stocked rifle, after having it culling roe does for a week in Scotland stopping in a damp caravan and raining everyday, the wood had started to turn white. That was it for me synthetic was the way to go.

If it is a working rifle that you are actually going to use a bit in adverse weather then go synthetic, for a posing rifle that only comes out for the roe rut in the summer then fine have a wood stocked rifle. ;)

I have two mates that were firm wood only men, and took the p*** for years about my Tupperware stocks, last year one turned up with a S/S synthetic rifle and other is talking about trying to get a synthetic stock for his Sako to save his wooden one from damage.

When you come to trade your rifle nobody will care if the plastic has picked up a scratch or two but watch the price tumble with a wood stock. Wood stocks were OK in the 18th century, but now it is time to move on. :evil:

Go Sako or an old Tikka 595 if you can find one.

Best rgds

Thar

Thar

Funny you mention a Tikka 595, I handled one yesterday.
It had some use, bit tatty and the dealer wanted over £500 for it.I thought it was dear considering how much a new t3 is.

Thanks, Gyr

I Have 2 Wooden stocked Tikka's one in .223 and one in 6.5x55 (both LH)
Both shoot 3/4" with handloads all i've done is bedded them and set the triggers the same. Last week i shot a 223 stainless synthetic Sako and was realy impressed but if i had the money it would go on glass.
£ of my friends use wooden stocked Tikkas and none of us have ever had a problem with stocks warping.
The choice is yours.
Ezzy.

Gyr said:
Hello All,

Looking to change my rifle.
Is the extra money for a sako worth it compared to a tikka?
Thinking of either a Tikka T3 or a Sako 75 or 85.
Also looking at synthetic for practical reasons.
Has anyone gone over to synthetic and wouldn't go back to wood?

Appreciate any views.

Gyr
gyr
i can't see you having a problem with either but my choice would be a tikka any day and money does not come into the equation but the choice is yours and you will not be dissapointed in your choice

Gyr said:
Thar

Funny you mention a Tikka 595, I handled one yesterday.
It had some use, bit tatty and the dealer wanted over £500 for it.I thought it was dear considering how much a new t3 is.

Thanks, Gyr

They are that much for a reason ;) , better rifle in many ways than the T3, in fact too good and close to the Sako 75, that is why when Sako and Tikka came under the same Management that they dumbed the Tikkas down :cry: hence the T3, but in all fairness the T3s are accurate.

Best rgds

Thar

ezzy6.5 said:
I Have 2 Wooden stocked Tikka's one in .223 and one in 6.5x55 (both LH)
Both shoot 3/4" with handloads all i've done is bedded them and set the triggers the same.

My out of the box (no bedding ect) synthetic 223 shoots ¼” groups with factory ammo, so that makes it 3 times better than your wood stocked rifles. :lol: :lol: :lol:

All in jest.

Thar

I have a Tikka 595 which started out in life as a .243 Tupperware and stainless and is now .260 shilen barrelled, with a McSwirly on it, It shoots better than I can and always under .5MOA.

I also have a Sako 75 , started out as a Finnlite in 7-08. It always shot a 'Sako group' ( 2 touching holes and 1 slightly high and right :lol: ) using Federal factory loads.

Choice ?......... Hmmmm

1. Sako 75
2. Tikka 595

Up to you - depending on calibre and price.

Best of luck with either of them, you wont go wrong.

ATB

Got a sako 75 and quite simply it is all the rifle I will ever need. It is a 308 in stainless/synthetic, so as weather proof as they get, and is plenty accurate, always sub MOA with Norma BTs.

Good trigger, albeit tweaked, detatchable box mag, and an action built to last-and a good starting point if you fancy a custom special, as mentioned by others. I have shot more accurate rifles at rifle shoots, but not many, and the ones that were tended to be customised and cost a bomb.

They are not cheap but I would recommend one. The Tikkas are well thought of though, and I know more than a few people on this forum swear by them. I think I would always stick with the Sako.

Cheers

JH.

Sako or Tika

Stainless Steel and Plastic that's it for me, I found the wood wouldn’t stand up to the power washing to clean it, Sako or Tika I have both and they both shot well out of the box, Some people like to have a nice gun to look at, I must say that how a gun looks means nothing to me, I would be happy shooting a broom handle if it shoots straight, it's down to personal choice

Thanks
SH

I have 2 t3's. 243 in wood and 308 in synthetic. The 308 groups sub inch with 150 grain federal powere shock, the 243 however has had real problems grouping. Always been using 100 remmington corelock. Have sent it away, and got it back. Now a friend is hand loading 85 sierra gamekings and have just finnished zeroing ( in wind and hail...but needs must) and it is only grouping 1 cm!! I am delighted!! Just need to see what these do to a beastie!

As a matter of course, I would only ever buy a synthetic again...i used to be a traditionalist, now both are canned and the wooden one nearly got traded!

I have a Sako 75 .243 stainless synthetic.
Excellent rifle, plus you don't have the worry of damaging the wood.
Gets a lot of use on fox and deer in all weathers.
Never used a Tikka so i can't comment.
Cheers
Richard

Its a no brainer really! Its got to be Sako and stainless in a tuppaware stock. Or better still one of the glass custom jobbies.

T3's are a pile of dogs do's, when compared to the Tikka 595's and better still the M55's.

If you just want a cheapo knockabout bit of kit get a T3 and throw it away when your finished with it.

If you want something with a bit of quality and class get a sako or an M55 if you can ever find one for sale. I've got some and no I'm not selling. ;)

Hi 5ways,
I find it interesting that quite a few people like the t3 and you think it's rubbish.
Thanks for your view.

Kindest Regards,

Gyr

Back