sako/sauer

Amberdog

:D TIKKA TIKKA 695 s/s built to last and takes what ever the weather has to offer,my mate has a 202 outback??? very light and fragile i'll stick with the TIKKA
amberdog

ezzy6.5

I'm with Amberdog when it comes to Tikka's but.

I do love the look of the 202 if i was in the market for a nice looking traditional stalking rifle that i wasn't going to moderate then i'd deffo look at the 202.
if i was loking for a super accurate rifle good to go straight from the box not bothered about weight i'd buy the Sako (or maybe the 202 wolverine)

just my opinion, i've never owned either, i just got as far as Tikka and never needed anything more.

Ezzy

buckup

Both good tools.

I think the 202 is more money, but fragile???? Never broken one, never met anyone who has. Aeroplanes, rally cars, superbikes,,,,,,,,,,,,, are light, does it make them fragile?

Won't be drawn into knocking the Tika, several stalkers I know have them, good no nonsence rifles.

Enjoy the choosing process, but don't be put off either, just choose the one you like the feel of and be happy.

Mark.

OK, in my cabinet there are both a Sako 75 & Sauer 202.

The Sako was my first .243, i loved it..... i still love it BUT......since buying the Sauer (.308) i have come to understand some of the downside to the sako......

The Sauer is indeed lighter, i have a Jet-z fitted, its synthetic, it feels more moudable into the shoulder, i feel its better balanced but the "workmanship" is same as the Sako.

The Sako these days spends more time locked away than the Sauer, but like anything opinions vary and so they should........

I am considering selling the Sako to a loving home that will use it more than i do........pass the word.

tolley

thanks ,im looking to get something at the midland this weekend,the tikka is in the back of my mine,but like you say the sauer does look good. :confused:

will be like a kid in a sweet shop come saturday :lol:

Richard Parsons

Hi all,
I have just exchanged a Sako 75 for a Sauer 202 Outback in .308 . The trigger is nicer, looks are nicer , and the barrel is modular so may eventually get a .243 barrel for it also. The Sako would not shoot well at all at 300yds , all over the place. Everone said it should be fine at this range so I was surprised with the HUGE groups. Maybe cos the barrel was only 20" long ???? The Sauer action is also smoother, but it is really down to personal choice at this level. Happy shopping!

MarkH

The Sauer is nicer to own :D but it wont kill the deer any better than a Tikka.

Mark

Claret_Dabbler

Certain aspects of the Sauer 202 design are not to every one's taste, but once you get used to the safety in particular, the virtues become obvious. I have one, I love it.

I am certainly not going to try and tell you a Sako is a bad rifle - they are very good. But, I think Sauer are a better made rifle - they are built to a high standard and priced accordingly, they are not built to meet a price point.

If you want a synthetic rifle which is pre-threaded, look seriously at the Sauer 202 CX with the alloy receiver with moulded in Weaver bases. This is a really excellent design.

I would not discuss Sauer and Tikka on the same page.

300wsm

Account Suspended
Sako all the way :lol:

the 202 is very expensive to rebarrel and only has a 3 shot mag :cry:

Ask my friend who has just found out a new Howa is cheaper than a replacement 202 barrel.

Baldrick

Sauer make a 5-shot mag. It won't be cheap, but then how often do you need to expend 3+1 shots in rapid succession?

Claret_Dabbler

300wsm said:
Sako all the way :lol:

the 202 is very expensive to rebarrel and only has a 3 shot mag :cry:

Ask my friend who has just found out a new Howa is cheaper than a replacement 202 barrel.
You do not "rebarrel" a Sauer 202. You buy an extra barrel/barrels and swap them over at will to suit you needs.

A Howa is a decent rifle for the money, better than current Remmie or Tikka offerings.

However, the guy was asking about a Sako or a Sauer, different place altogether.

ejg

202 is a nice rifle, but I would choose a sako. Only because I like piddling around with rifles and one can get composite stock for sako easier.
After a bit of tweaking my factory howa stainless sporter shoots silly tiny groups and this week alone I shot a fox at 335yds another at 285 and a rabbit at 340yds this eve. This rifle weighs under 8 lbs with scope.
So I wouldn't have a need for a sauer except maybe a nice stutzen.
edi

Heym SR20

I have looked at both the 202 and Sako 75, and the newer 85, and have used the 75 on occasions. A bit like comparing an Audi with a BMW - both good but it comes down to a matter of personal choice. The 202 is probably a higher grade than the standard Sako Hunter - more comparable to the deluxe.

Sako 75 - solid, accurate, 5 shot magazine. New 85 - has controlled round feed. Trigger is excellent and set trigger and option. Integral dovetails for scope mounts and mounts are included with a new rifle. Safety is in the normal place, and a fiddly catch to open the bolt and unload whilst still on safe. Weight - depends on model and calibre.

Sauer 202 - a much slimmer action as it uses an inline magazine - if you want five shots, mag sticks out below the bottom of the rifle. Safety is within the trigger guard and would take some getting used to - but actuallly wouldn't be a problem once used to it. Sauer 202 allows you to change barrels to different calibres using the same action. 202 also has an easily removable butt so can be shortened quickly - useful if travelling.
You need to factor in the cost of scope mounts as well.

Which would I choose - as a left hander I would probably go the 202 route as a much wider choice of calibres, and Sako new 85 is not available in left handed, and the 75 was only available in .270, 30-06 and limited range of options.

But probably it will come down to whichever you feel more comfortable with nd which fits you better.

tolley

thanks for the replys i will have a good look on saturday ,and then there i s the mauser. :)
do'nt evern know if to go with wood or not :confused:

300wsm

Account Suspended
Baldrick said:
Sauer make a 5-shot mag. It won't be cheap, but then how often do you need to expend 3+1 shots in rapid succession?
Most days of the hind season with luck 8)

D

Davie

I have had a sako and used it for a long time a .270 sako hunter great rifle i have now owned my sauer for two years and love it. It is lighter and seems to have a smoother action i don't need better than this .Why did i get it because i wanted it. ;)

Claret_Dabbler

tolley said:
found a nice sako 85 bavarian £500 cheaper than the sauer so i might have that one. :)
Tolley, I am sure you will be very happy with the Bavarioan. I just love the look of the stock on that baby. If I was buying a new Sako, that would be the one.