Sako "The peak of rifle evolution"

JLad

Seems like Sako have put good bit of tape over everyones mouth.
Have found absolutely nothing on this subject over internet or from dealers.
Still it most likely is some totally new platform? Or is it? 🤞

Let's hear it. What it might be?

- Straight-pull? I Dont know, Sako is pretty traditional and I dont think it's everyones cake.

- Swich barrel system? Propably/hopefully that is something many buyers look for in a new rifle. At least somekind of take down seems to be new standard.

-Propietary scope mounts? I dont think so, it would be not the Sako way. Picatinny seems more likely.

-Double stack box magazine? That is something I hope for.

-Adjustable trigger? I think it's for sure there. Maybe even adjustable lenght of pull and angle like Sauer 404? That would be awsome.

What else?

Or am I completely off track, missed something and making fool of my self? 🤭

JLad

From what I can gather Sako have a good marketing strategy aimed at the person that thinks most expensive is best.
I sure hope that's not the case. I hope it is going to be something as good as the 75 line was, yet not the most expensive in market but reliable, innovative and simple robust rifle without nonsense bells and whistles. Expensive it is going to be for sure. Let alone the fact that Sako already has one of the most sold "budget rifle" lines in the world Tikka T3. So there is no point going low end this time, when too many (sadly me included) is going to buy high end rifles.
They might be waiting for Shot Show or IWA to show it out.

NullMac

How about a decent stalking style synthetic stock with an adjustable cheek and some form of proper bedding, a barrel profile for stalking and a quality double stack non plastic magazine.

All this carbon wolf and S20 stuff doesn't know what it is, and with Tikka being so good, the positioning of Sako is no longer clear. It should be somewhere between Tikka and Blaser/Sauer but it just seems to be a more expensive Tikka that does not function quite as well.

JLad

totally agree about the hard to justify paying more but cannot see them dumping the bread and butter T3s
Yep, T3 is the one that brings bread to that stable. No point of ending this good money maker, it sells like hell and requires only little attention to keep it going.

njc110381

Sako, when it was actually Sako, was a stunning rifle. Sako as it is now, accountant owned and run, don't count on them doing anyone any favours! Quality? They haven't put pride over profit since production of the 75 ended.

I'm not bothered what they come up wit. I won't be buying it. Not until gunsmiths start shouting about how good it is like they do with the 75. For the record I'm a huge Sako fan, but of old stuff.

Mungo

totally agree about the hard to justify paying more but cannot see them dumping the bread and butter T3s
You watch.

Their accountants and marketing people will be desperate to find a way to kill it, and replace it with a budget line that’s substantially worse, both to cut costs and make the premium lines seem attractive.

I’d even be willing to predict that they will kill the T3 as we know it, and introduce two new lines. An ultra budget line that will be something new, and a new premium line that, when examined closely, turns out to be the T3 in new pyjamas, but for twice the price.

Wills

Schultz and Larsen are now where Sako was.
Sako, when it was actually Sako, was a stunning rifle. Sako as it is now, accountant owned and run, don't count on them doing anyone any favours! Quality? They haven't put pride over profit since production of the 75 ended.

I'm not bothered what they come up wit. I won't be buying it. Not until gunsmiths start shouting about how good it is like they do with the 75. For the record I'm a huge Sako fan, but of old stuff.

Namman

Two of the worst rifles I ever owned were Sakos.

Mr. Gain

T3s must cost them buttons to produce and they make and sell oodles of them. That's a good way to make money. A cheaper Tikka wouldn't cost much less to produce and, unless it was close to as good as a regular one, it would get lost in the scrum at the bottom of the market and sell less. If it was as good as a regular one, we'd all be quids in and Tikka would be out of pocket. The strategy with Sako seems to be to lead with a technological angle to finishes and stock design, and hope customers like that enough to pay more than it's worth. The S20 is interesting, because it seems to be designed for people who don't know yet what they actually want a rifle for but don't want to spend anything like Blaser money on figuring that out.

Northman_

1 million T3 made.. I think they auctioned of the 1 millionth last month.

Not sure they would risk cutting that line.
The T3 are made nearly as cheaply as they can.. just to tight tolerances, which is quite easy with modern CNCs.

Brilliant simple design.. even though it took me a decade to warm up them. Now I have two.

User00026

T3’s is reaching market saturation, they will be thinking of a way to keep it ‘interesting’ to retain customers, likely seeing customers using t3’s as now ready to ‘upgrade’ to more complex modular varieties of the t3.

they will likely be considering a new alternative to target the m18 as well…so Mungo might well be spot on to be fair.

Yes, it’s been a cash cow, but..a trend is a trend is a trend, questions is will it bend, will it alter its course, through some more unforeseen force.. and come to a premature end?

as for Sako, trade on Brand equity these days. Total loss of strategic focus and core competencies - need a serious board room table meeting if going to survive, sadly.
used to be ‘the’ factory high quality bolt gun, no fancy bits, just worked, a reliable rifle for life.. now it’s a mess of lines with lack of definition.

mauser, if they play their cards right, have a brand that can capture serious market share, but need to fix the perceived ‘cheap’ bits in the m18 and reintroduce the worlds greatest rifle, the m98 in a modern package that’s financially approachable, their current m98 offering is silly money, should be more like £1.5k which would grab some real piece of cake from many big players like sako and blaser i suspect